Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The first sign rises with the full moon.  (Read 975321 times)

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: The first sign rises with the full moon.
« Reply #1095 on: May 14, 2015, 02:27:10 PM »
+1
I can't wait till the kickstarter ends. I wanna see this survey and shader stuff. Something about helping out on a spiritual successor to castlevania is exciting to me.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1096 on: May 14, 2015, 03:08:13 PM »
+1
How much money would they need to make Xrd-style graphics? I mean, we're already at 1.8 million and we still have 30 days to go...

A lot. You can never be 100% accurate but, lets just do a little bit of general math here.

Say you have 2 years to make the game. And each modeler is paid lets say 80k a year. It takes 3 months to make each model. Lets just throw out some numbers for character count like... You have about 60 enemies, 8 bosses, 2 playable characters, 12 NPC's. Each one takes 3 months, since each one is a fully sculpted detailed model.

82 characters x 3 months = 246 months

246 months / 24 months = 20.5 (30) modelers

30 modelers x 100,000$ = 3,000,000$

Starting to see the picture here? Keep in mind this is JUST for the character models, not including environments, props, effects, etc. Hell, this does NOT even include animation! And also recognise that they don't have 2 full years to develop. Planning and nailing down the style takes time, and the final build needs to be tested and approved in advance of the launch as well.

Of course these numbers are somewhat asspulled, but the real game's workload would still be a magnitude higher than this even portrays. You're starting to get into big budget games, which this will never be. But, I believe it never HAS to be either.

Honestly I'm not even sure mimicking sprite animations will look that good in this context. Give me smooth colorful characters and environments. If they wanted to make a low resolution sprite based game then they would have, but they have the opportunity to be so much more than that. I'm glad they took it.

A new igavania for the modern era.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 03:09:56 PM by uzo »

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #1097 on: May 14, 2015, 03:08:48 PM »
I think "Symphony of Caps" is a joke based on the news today that Konami apparently said "Mobile" and "Pay-to-Play" are the future of gaming, and their company.

The Classicvania IGA video of him walking and jumping was great! ;D

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #1098 on: May 14, 2015, 03:11:33 PM »
Oh sh*t i just remembered that i live in a corrupt country with an epic fail postal and customs taxation system. I guess i can only support this kickstarter in spirit.  :'(
I want those goodies..... Sigh.
I suppose i just have to wait when it is actually released in 2 years time to get it at a game store without the epic stuff.

Would it be at all helpful for someone else to pledge on your behalf and send you the items personally?

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1099 on: May 14, 2015, 03:16:05 PM »
Man, 3 million dollars at minimum? So that means a more likely expense would be anywhere around 30 to 60M. Sheeit...well, I'd like to say we might be able to get to 30M on kickstarter if we managed to get 1M on day 1, but I realize that was just on day 1...it seems like the money's already starting to slow down. We'll probably be able to break 2.25 M, but I estimate the most we can get is 4M. ;-;

Would it be at all helpful for someone else to pledge on your behalf and send you the items personally?

That's an idea, and mighty kind of you too...still, it's a risk if she lives in a country with a postal system as bad as she says. The stuff might get stolen or at least damaged in transit D:

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1100 on: May 14, 2015, 03:49:44 PM »
+3
As far as the project money goes, based on what IGA has said... The kickstarter is 1/10 of the budget. The rest will be provided by an interested party, but only if the kickstarter succeeded.

My presumption is that this third party will not be backing proportionally, so just the 4,500,000. SO that is 5m in total, with the minimum kickstarter funds. Anything beyond that is gravy, so, we're technically at 6,950,227$ for the 'total' game budget right now. This is of course overestimating though.

Kickstarter gets 10%. The production of the rewards probably takes another 30%. This leaves about 1,170,137$ actually going into the development of the project. This totals to 6,170,137$.

But now lets ask, what part is going into development and what part is going into legal, and marketing? This is an extraordinarily tough question to answer. Mainly because it is heavily dependant on the way the project is run and the project itself. Lets say for the sake of argument that it is a 60/40 split, 60 for development and 40 for the legal and marketing. The actual game development fund comes to about 3,702,082$ in this case.

These are of course all estimated values, but gives you a base level insight into how these projects get budgeted and balance out.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 03:52:10 PM by uzo »

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1101 on: May 14, 2015, 04:40:27 PM »
Dang...so many hidden/side costs x-x

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1102 on: May 14, 2015, 05:11:47 PM »
Kickstarter gets 10%.

Is that the standard 5% plus a 3-5% processing fee that I have heard about?

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #1103 on: May 14, 2015, 05:20:33 PM »
That's an idea, and mighty kind of you too...still, it's a risk if she lives in a country with a postal system as bad as she says. The stuff might get stolen or at least damaged in transit D:

If it is like in Brazil, the major problem is that sometimes you need to pay taxes even on gifts, that is total bullshit. It is totally random and some people is taxed while others not because of some corporative retarded that thinks that knows something, while knows nothing. Paying 1/4 or more for something that is rightfully yours is hell.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 09:23:26 PM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1105 on: May 14, 2015, 10:46:08 PM »
That is *really* cool, vladct!

Offline Dengo vlad tepes

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1107 on: May 14, 2015, 11:09:10 PM »
Man, all these cool arrangements. They should really have a remix achievement option, especially since Ms. Yamane specifically asked for remixes to be allowed :)

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Waffles are pretty great
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
« Reply #1108 on: May 15, 2015, 02:00:19 AM »
Soory if posted but watch this cool video from IGA:

Igavania! A mock-up of Koji Igarashi's Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Ys5adMibI

I died. Laughed at that way more than I should of.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #1109 on: May 15, 2015, 03:18:47 AM »
Since when you live in Brazil too?  j/k
You can still pledge for digital goodies if you want, like I plan to do. Also remember that you can help us to get these achievements using facebook, twitter, youtube or any other option :P

Not from Brazil though but whenever I see Brazil on TV and the extreme economic divide among the people, I remember my country. At least the poor in Rio have a great view.

This is correct. I once sent a package from Japan back to my home country and found it opened. Luckily I filled the top with used clothes that I didn't care about.
There are a lot of stories of goods lost in transit, stolen, damaged plus extreme customs taxes that sometimes cost more than the good itself. I don't want to be part of the statistics. There's this recent news that some airport personnel had broken locks from luggages hidden in their lockers and people having lost jewelry, electronics, etc that were placed inside their check-in baggage.
The safest option based on my experience is to use DHL. Yeah, it is so expensive but at least there's the guarantee that the goods arrive on time and in good condition. Of course this method is impossible for KS projects and if someone were to pledge on my behalf, the extra price I have to pay would be really high. Plus, I think DHL is forced to declare the goods and the taxes are scary, I just get to learn the amount when the package arrives at my door.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 04:36:48 AM by Shiroi Koumori »

Tags: