Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848542 times)

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania Mirror of Fate ( 3DS per request )
« Reply #1740 on: May 31, 2012, 08:06:13 PM »
+1
The main problems seem to be:

-"We have taken the basic combat engine from Lords of Shadow and dropped it directly into the game." - no sign of understanding that 2.5D platformer combat is necessarily and beneficially different from 3D combat (as expected from a 3D dev); combat resembling LoS at all does not bode well for a 2.5D game since it would be unbelievably tedious compared to typical 2D platformer combat.

So, what you're essentially saying is that you want the "combat" to be the same exact thing it's been for the pat 20 odd years, sans LoS. And yes, even with games like SotN and AoS, the combat was basically the same as Cv1, you just had more weapons to choose from (no real combos, just single attacks). Don't get me wrong, I love the Iga game, and what came before, but I'm glad to see more of an action game style in Cv. Makes the fights more interesting.
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1741 on: May 31, 2012, 08:13:42 PM »
+2
Makes the fights more interesting.

And more "repetitive" if you ask me.

That is one of the main complaints I have seen from LOS from dislikers to supporters alike, they both at some point found that the battles dragged on for to long.

That was the thing with the "older" games, you did not have to do a 10 hit combo just to take out a skeleton, but even then, games like SCIV and CVIII still turned out to be some pretty challenging games.

Honestly LOS combo making its way into this game is not a deal breaker for me, I just hope that they took some of the fan complaints into account and I don't have to do a bunch of combos just to take out lower level enemies.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline meanguyjones

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #1742 on: May 31, 2012, 08:34:14 PM »
+2
And more "repetitive" if you ask me.

That is one of the main complaints I have seen from LOS from dislikers to supporters alike, they both at some point found that the battles dragged on for to long.

That was the thing with the "older" games, you did not have to do a 10 hit combo just to take out a skeleton, but even then, games like SCIV and CVIII still turned out to be some pretty challenging games.

Honestly LOS combo making its way into this game is not a deal breaker for me, I just hope that they took some of the fan complaints into account and I don't have to do a bunch of combos just to take out lower level enemies.

Are you guys not using the dark gauntlet attacks or something? Air launchers? Shadow magic abilities? Subweapon weaknesses? I never found it taking too long to dispatch enemies.

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #1743 on: May 31, 2012, 08:41:31 PM »
I see you points Charlotte and they are very valid points so you have earned my respect but again I see them as personal concerns and not problems to which could be disastrous for a castlevania game due to the fact there have been far worse games in the series. There is nothing wrong with voicing your concern and Im not attacking those concerns, thats why we have these forums I personally just see them as concerns and not problems. We will have to wait to see what exactly we are in store for with this new title, so far personally I think its looking more like a castlevania than what LOS offered but I personally am reluctant because I feel burned from MS. I felt like I got a different game than the one I was promised albeit LOS was a great game but not really that much of a Castlevania or at least one I prefer.

Thanks for the respectful tone of your response.

Just a minor point, but I would say that in the current age of gaming, though, there's less leeway for worse games compared to the leeway there was during the series' earlier years due to the ever increasing budgets needed to put out professionally developed titles. Back in the day, a professional dev could put out a couple unpraiseworthy titles in a row and still keep on chugging. That said I seriously doubt the game will lose money or anything, so it's not that much of an issue.

As far as concerns vs problems or personal problems with a title vs factual problems (which I think is what you're getting at), it's kind of hard to call too much beyond the obvious bugs or counter-intuitive issues factually problems given evaluation of games is a subjective affair and thus to some extent subject to what one finds fun or what one doesn't. I did point out some things I felt looked to be the wrong approach if their goal is to go for a more nonlinear exploration-based game though--which they mention they're going for in the article. That's still not necessarily going to be an assurance that it's factually a problem--some people may find it works for them and others may not--but since it's interacting with what they say they're setting out to do with the game, it's a step above "I don't find this fun." (Which of course some of the other concerns I raised fall under.)

So, what you're essentially saying is that you want the "combat" to be the same exact thing it's been for the pat 20 odd years, sans LoS. And yes, even with games like SotN and AoS, the combat was basically the same as Cv1, you just had more weapons to choose from (no real combos, just single attacks).

On a rudimentary level, it's the same as CV1's, but only in the same way LoS' combat is like DMC's or GoW's, which is at such a basic level that it can't be easily altered no matter how much innovation is introduced without altering the game's genre--and even then you run out of suitable genres eventually. In the nuance is where the differences lie, just as LoS has nuances that separate it from GoW, or DMC. Some of the Metroidvanias introduced additional hitboxes for their weapons and multiple weapon types to break up the standard way of attacking. Some of the games allowed for special attacks unique to weapons like DoS that would eat up some MP but do a more powerful attack which is like a "weak" vs "strong" attack mechanic. It's also not quite accurate that combos don't exist in Metroidvanias. Some weapons in some Metroidvanias can be comboed with the dual hand mechanic, although it doesn't necessarily do much to stun enemies so you can wail on them for longer, it's more just for higher DPS. OoE did this extensively if you didn't notice, especially if you were trying to play at optimal levels. Perhaps you don't consider those combos though, but I don't know what else to call them.

Also, you'd have to knock more out of that list than LoS--you'd need to knock out basically all the 3D games, especially LoI and CoD which also use 3D action game mechanics for their combat. Essentially, I'm advocating 2D platformer combat for 2D-based gameplay, as opposed to 2D beat em up combat for 2D-based gameplay, which I fear they may be headed for. It's possible they could be taking that type of concern into account and are making most enemies die in a couple hits anyway in line with 2D platformer conventions, but then the need for combos in the combat system is reduced. I suppose it's possible for combos to still be there despite that as added complexity and for bosses, but generally I wouldn't expect this would be the way they'd go design-wise since usually game mechanics are there for a reason.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Iga game, and what came before, but I'm glad to see more of an action game style in Cv. Makes the fights more interesting.

You see, for me, it's just the opposite, since it will likely lead down the route of the game being more like a 2.5D beat em up, as I mentioned before. Beat em ups of course have also been done to death, if not in CV, and I don't typically find that type of combat interesting.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1744 on: May 31, 2012, 08:42:51 PM »
+1
Are you guys not using the dark gauntlet attacks or something? Air launchers? Shadow magic abilities? Subweapon weaknesses? I never found it taking too long to dispatch enemies.

Yea those where used, but the thing is, my and others definition of a battle being to "long" or "repetitive" may be different than yours.

to some the battles are not long or repetitive at all.

to others they are.

No use debating it really, all a matter of opinion.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:46:26 PM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline meanguyjones

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #1745 on: May 31, 2012, 08:50:08 PM »
Yea those where used, but the thing is, my and others definition of a battle being to "long" or "repetitive" may be different than yours.

to some the battles are not long or repetitive at all.

to others they are.

No use debating it really, all a matter of opinion.

Yeah, I understand. But other than the skeleton warriors, what other monsters in the game took a long time to kill? They all get blown up by subweapons/punches to the face. Just curious.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #1746 on: May 31, 2012, 08:51:45 PM »
+1
Ok guys, I'm counting on you! I'm not staying awake soo I hope you make awesome posts  ;D

And BTW, I gotta confess, I spammed my way in LoS in Tak Fuji way
"XXX YYY" - Tak Fujii sells Ninety-Nine Nights II at E3 2010
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:04:55 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1747 on: May 31, 2012, 09:01:07 PM »
1 hour to go.

If you guys need something to pass the time, go talk to Tak Fuji on his twitter right now. Dude is hilarious.

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #1748 on: May 31, 2012, 09:04:42 PM »

There's a legitimate balancing problem when the player becomes dependent on combo-chain strategies to dispose of (what should be) common cannon-fodder.  Moreover, LoS' heavy-handed combat was quite divorced from its platforming elements --and that's not likely to go over well in 2-D.  Hopefully the experience is a bit more balanced and straight-forward this next time around.

Offline Ring_of_Varda

• Str+30, Con+10, Int+30, Luck+5, Atk+40, Def+14
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1749 on: May 31, 2012, 11:02:30 PM »
has a trailer for this one been shown yet? im having problems with the stream and now with the pre e-3 vid.
"For God to be good, evil is a necessity in this world."

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1750 on: May 31, 2012, 11:03:32 PM »
More info on June 5th! Can't wait!

Offline BingleGod

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #1751 on: May 31, 2012, 11:33:02 PM »
Quote from: Vampire Killer
And yes, even with games like SotN and AoS, the combat was basically the same as Cv1, you just had more weapons to choose from (no real combos, just single attacks).

Wow. What a reductive and incorrect statement.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #1753 on: June 01, 2012, 12:47:28 AM »
Wow. What a reductive and incorrect statement.

Not really. Each weapon you could equip had a different effect, but aside from the occasional "release" style attack, it was just *whackwhackwhackwhackwhack*

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1754 on: June 01, 2012, 12:55:09 AM »
There was a lot more timing and commitment involved in CV1. Attacks were faster, you were able to backdash to cancel the attack, and etc. in AoS and SoTN so a lot of CV1's distinctive combat elements were absent. Gotta be nitpicky about these things.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:57:03 AM by thernz »

Tags: .....? 

anything