Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848765 times)

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #2970 on: June 16, 2012, 07:48:53 PM »
+1
They make me ashamed as well....and I'm a Sonic Sega-Purist. -_-

I think we can all agree that, honestly...we want both continuities to continue - both the old and the new. One shouldn't be beatout by the other and left the "winner", allowed to survive and continue making games. In this case, it really SHOULD be like the Marvel 616 and Marvel Ultimate universes - separate, yet able to continue their own stories without worry that one will overrule the other, because they both have their own rules.

You hear me, Konami?! Goddamn MARVEL COMICS is able to make the idea of two separate universes for the same franchise work within the means AND be profitable. IT CAN BE DONE!

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #2971 on: June 16, 2012, 08:06:19 PM »
there should be a new improved 2012-style banner imo, it's already cluttered as is

There's so much space up there. It would be so easy to just spread them out with a new design

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #2972 on: June 16, 2012, 08:35:10 PM »

Just noticed that these two promotional artworks actually make up one giant piece.

...yea there's really nothing interesting to talk about anymore. :P

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2973 on: June 17, 2012, 02:40:42 AM »
Guess what I found

Best of E3 2012 Awards: Best 3DS Game [HD]

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 02:43:40 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2974 on: June 17, 2012, 04:48:55 AM »

Mirror of Fate WINNING the "Best of E3" award in the 3DS category, on gametrailers.com? It beat things like New Super Mario Bros 2, and Paper Mario? That was pretty damn unexpected.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #2975 on: June 17, 2012, 06:08:51 AM »
That's great, i hope they won't disappoint.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #2976 on: June 17, 2012, 12:28:30 PM »
+2
Different parts of the series are always compared between each other, it is obvious. However, when there were only one game, there is simply NO defined standard. Everything can change especially since in the old days, games often went from hand of one team to the pther and no guarantee that the new team will like whatever previous team have created. Series gameplay is more or less save, when there were several games that set main basics. When there is one game - there is none of that. Copying original game's gameplay is not so much "following the standard" as a "following a safe route".

This is all completely false. Multiple teams working on the same series is a modern phenomenon. During the NES era companies were much smaller and did not have the resources to have multiple teams work on the same series. In fact what was most common back then was that the same team would work on multiple series. And, furthermore, the very notion that that the second game in a series has no standard is patently false. There are very few examples of a sequel being radically different from it's predecessor. The two most prominent ones being CV2 and LoZ2, but that was most definitely not the norm. And the third game almost always ended up going back to the original format. The only case I can think of off the top of my head is the Thunder Force series which withing the first 3 titles went from a top-down shooter to a side-scrolling shooter.

Besides, VK is not the same as CV1. Only things that common in two games are graphics (to certain extent) and action mechanic. Given that even genres of the two are different (dynamic action vs adventure / quest-like) they simply not the same game in different coating.
And CV2 is essentially improved version of VK - (hidden) merchants, hearts, multiple subweapons, that player can use at the same time, different equipment, open-world inspired by level-maps from VK. All of this are basically ideas that were taken from Vampire Killer and received new forms. The link between two games is painfully obvious. Yes, CV2 is more dynamic, but that is exactly why I said that CV2 was an atempt to merge CV1 and VK gameplay styles. I elaborate: CV2 was an attempt to merge dynamic action of original CV and exploration / quest-like elements of VK.

This is also false.

*CV1 and VK have nearly identical stage structure and very similar layouts. VK has more rooms in general because of the larger storage space available on the MSX. CV2 did not have this.

*You progress from stage to stage and cannot go back to explore previous stages in both games. VK added the need to find keys to unlock the door to the next stage in the current area. CV2 did not have this.

*Hidden merchants are shared between VK and CV2, even the graphics, they just don't live inside stone blocks anymore. I did for get to mention that there is one more thing VK and CV2 share and that's the Shield mechanic.

*Almost every castlevania game has hears. If you mean using them as currency, yes. That IS the other thing I said VK shares with CV2.

*VK is the ONLY cv game where the player can use multiple sub-weapons "at the same time". To be specific VK has only 2 sub-weapons. The Holy Water and the Hourglass. Once you find them they are both usable. To use HW jump, and press forward. To use HG jump and press down. All other weapons in VK replace the whip. In contrast the Sub-weapons in CV2 work the same way as in CV1 except that you don't loose them when you die, but you can still only use one at a time like in CV1.

*VK has MORE equipment, CV2 has DIFFERENT equipment. There's a difference.

*VK does NOT have an open world at all. There are no paths even. The stages are set up just like CV1.

If anything, CV2 was the very first attempt to make Castlevania more like Metroid.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 05:27:54 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2977 on: June 17, 2012, 02:11:06 PM »
I'd rather Castlevania were laid to rest after Mercury Steam is done than see CV continue to be stretched past the point of death
This a way of true fans right here!! Let's our favorite series die and be forgotten, because it doesn't get another copypasted entry and was experimented a bit!! Yay!! So, we all can cry "When Castlevania will return" while series is forgotten completely.

You hear me, Konami?! Goddamn MARVEL COMICS is able to make the idea of two separate universes for the same franchise work within the means AND be profitable. IT CAN BE DONE!
Nope.
Game development take much more money than creating comic books, hence Konami will not spent their money to sustain two separate continuities out of desire to cater to the small group of old fans, when they can spent money  to make something more profitable, like new, modern and beautiful version of the CV game.

Multiple teams working on the same series is a modern phenomenon.
Yeah, and that's why classic Castlevania games were so different from each other in look and gameplay design and were released on the different consoles in the very short time. In the modern industry multiple teams usually work on new entries, indeed, but usually one at a time. Or there is one major entry in the series, and everything else is rather small and insignificant in the big picture (read - cheap to produce), that could be assigned to random team of developers (like Order of Shadow).

And, furthermore, the very notion that that the second game in a series has no standard is patently false. There are very few examples of a sequel being radically different from it's predecessor.

Let me reinstate this - second game in the would-be-series doesn't have solid standard. Usually second entry improves on all game mechanics but also introduce some changes. First game is a basis, not a standard. And this basis could be transformed into whatever developers later saw fit.

This is also false.
Most of your following statements are false.

(click to show/hide)

I wonder why my previous post received minuses? For having different opinion? Well, that's a friendly, open-minded fandom for you, where old fans allowed to be jerks and express they disadain however they like and people who disagree with their opinion are repressed.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2978 on: June 17, 2012, 02:45:41 PM »
It's not like you get reprimanded by having respect down.  You're not really being so 'repressed'.
Don't be so dramatic.  There is really no downside at all from that aside from your post being somewhat unpopular.

I don't even understand why people even post about their respect points anyway.
Just think of it as "I posted something that resonated with the people, its value determines whether it was a negatively or positive resonance".  Not "OH GAWD I'M SO REPRESSED THIS SYSTEM IS STUPID GET RID OF IT", as the few PMs I get seem to suggest.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Johnny Alucard

• Vampire Hunter
  • Shanoa x Monica OTP
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2979 on: June 17, 2012, 02:49:47 PM »
Mirror of Fate WINNING the "Best of E3" award in the 3DS category, on gametrailers.com? It beat things like New Super Mario Bros 2, and Paper Mario? That was pretty damn unexpected.

It's not surprising. New Super Mario Bros. 2, while it looked fun, showed that the New Mario Bros series is following the same formula with new gimmicks.  Plus no Wario.  Meanwhile, there is a lot of controversy over the sticker system and the lack of partners for Paper Mario.

Thus, Mirror of Fate's already impressive showing made it a sure winner in that category.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2980 on: June 17, 2012, 03:48:20 PM »
That sounds like a good idea, actually. Maybe one just for the new timeline.
Nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2981 on: June 17, 2012, 05:08:51 PM »
Don't be so dramatic.  There is really no downside at all from that aside from your post being somewhat unpopular.
I am not afraid of being unpopular, I don't care about it.
However, I prefer when people who dislike my opinion express what they dislike and why. All this "respect points system" allow people to hide behind anonimity and vote down on the personal emotion "like author / dislike author" and not because posts were unpopular, offensive or something like that. It's not constructive and leads to mutual dislike and misunderstanding.
Also this system potentially could create conditions when some people have a negative points simply because they uphold a different opinions, however others (new forumgoers or random visitors) could think of it as those are "bad" people who are wrong, vandals or whatever. This undermines idea of people being eaqually allowed to express their opinions give a way to possibility of such people being humilated and ostracized for their different mindset.
In short it's not an issue about popularity, but about equality.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2982 on: June 17, 2012, 05:29:11 PM »
I think you're overreacting, and I also think that posts complaining about the respect/popularity forum mod do a great job at derailing the threads they're in.

Please return to the original subject of this thread, or take it to Off Topic somewhere.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2983 on: June 17, 2012, 05:53:57 PM »
However, I prefer when people who dislike my opinion express what they dislike and why.

The people who '-1' and don't reply are the same people that use to just shake their heads and not reply. The ONLY difference now is that you can actually quantify those people.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2984 on: June 17, 2012, 06:13:18 PM »
+1
It also doesn't help your case when you're always belittling/criticizing the "old, tired" fans of the classic canon as a "small, insignificant" group. There's quite a lot of us, but w/e

I guess it's a good thing that MoF won the best of 3ds e3 award. but i hope that doesn't give MS an excuse to ignore the rather obvious & glaring complaints the game's receiving already. not just framerate issues, but all the other stuff (enemies, music, et cetera) I have high hopes *fingers crossed*

this made me chuckle

Tags: .....?