Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848760 times)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #3270 on: July 11, 2012, 05:12:22 AM »
As a programmer, I can tell you that personally for me, building a container class for all input devices is much easier to handle and track input with. By default, the way I designed it allows me to switch what input corresponds to what 'command' (jump, attack, etc) that input triggers in a matter of seconds. All that's needed after that is just throwing in a menu for the player to change those values. Hell, my system allows you to stack as many keyboard, mouse, and gamepad inputs, in any combination or order, onto a command as you want.

Also it took no more than a day to create and debug.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #3271 on: July 11, 2012, 07:54:01 AM »
That seems a little extreme. What if it's an amazing game? Controls are really going to stop you from playing it? I used to hate the controls of Resident Evil, what with the press up to walk no matter what direction you're facing, but I suck it up, and deal.

Like what would you do if the greatest game ever, or at least a game you were looking forward to for so long had the worse controls ever, would that really stop you?

This...

Bad controls should always be a deal breaker... bad controls and/or bad gameplay never make a good game... If someone is playing a game just for story and will trudge through a bad game for that story, they'd be better off reading the story on the wiki or watching it on youtube just to save them a headache...

If the controls are off in an action/adventure game that kills the main point of playing it in the first place. Having customizable controls is an easy thing to implement, so I'm very intolerant of games that don't have it. And like I said, I really hate using analogue for 2D side view games. It's imprecise and tends to cause me problems when the direction I press is a few degrees off and my character crouches instead of walking. That kills the fun for me when I have problems making my avatar do exactly what I want it to.
"Stuff and things."

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3272 on: July 11, 2012, 08:39:09 AM »
Like what would you do if the greatest game ever, or at least a game you were looking forward to for so long had the worse controls ever, would that really stop you?
Well, if the greatest game in the world had shit controls, it wouldn't be the greatest game in the world? For me, good controls is one of the many aspects that make a game "great". If the story and graphics are epic, but the controls are shit, story and graphics don't automatically negate control's worth. A great game delivers on ALL fronts. There are so many beautiful looking games out there that play like shit. There's no excuse.

That being said, I don't think MoF will have bad controls(other than ledge hanging), for those who liked LoS, it will no doubt be down your alley.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3273 on: July 11, 2012, 09:12:39 AM »
Well, if the greatest game in the world had shit controls, it wouldn't be the greatest game in the world? For me, good controls is one of the many aspects that make a game "great". If the story and graphics are epic, but the controls are shit, story and graphics don't automatically negate control's worth. A great game delivers on ALL fronts. There are so many beautiful looking games out there that play like shit. There's no excuse.

That being said, I don't think MoF will have bad controls(other than ledge hanging), for those who liked LoS, it will no doubt be down your alley.

Well obviously I was exaggerating, and I do know that controls are important, I just always find ways to deal with it. I loved kid Icarus uprising, but hated the controls, especially with the lack of using the circle pad pros second stick, even Metroid prime hunters I didn't like the controls, but I found ways to handle it, I just never think of having controls as deal breakers
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline MKKhanzo

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #3275 on: July 11, 2012, 01:20:39 PM »
Well obviously I was exaggerating, and I do know that controls are important, I just always find ways to deal with it. I loved kid Icarus uprising, but hated the controls, especially with the lack of using the circle pad pros second stick, even Metroid prime hunters I didn't like the controls, but I found ways to handle it, I just never think of having controls as deal breakers

Adaption that is all there is to it  :) If you can't adapt to a certain "thing" then well, maybe next time or somehow get use to it   ;)  For example I prefer to play fighting games on a d-pad instead of a control stick crazy huh, it's not that I do not use the control stick it's just that playing SFII and MK on the SNES made me that way the d-pad feels right to me so it's somewhat awkward to play with a stick I have this problem playing Blazblue and Guilty gear at the arcade I go to.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #3276 on: July 11, 2012, 09:20:26 PM »
IDK if posted before:

Worklog diary from MS:

http://www.vandal.net/noticia/70348/nuevo-diario-de-desarrollo-de-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-mirror-of-fate/

(In spanish)

Why are Spanish game developers so much more well groomed than American game developers?

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 03:55:50 PM by Chernabogue »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #3279 on: July 14, 2012, 12:32:30 AM »
Beat me to it Chernabogue.

All what I have is this

http://wegotthiscovered.com/videogames/castlevania-lords-shadow-mirror-fate-handson-impressions/

Updated Bloody Tears? Would be interesting to hear.

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3280 on: July 14, 2012, 07:04:27 AM »
Why are people complaining about the controls? They look to be about the same as LoS, with a few modifications to make them work for the 3DS. I don't recall people being unhappy with LoS's controls.

I don't think you can manually duck or anything, so other than left and right, I don't think directions matter, in which case it would be really hard to mess up the direction the circle pad is being pressed in. Admittedly, I prefer a d-pad for my sidescrollers too, which is why I got Rayman Origins on my Wii instead of my Xbox 360, despite the slightly lowered graphic quality on the Wii version (I don't have a PS3). Again though, I don't think this is really going to be an issue with MoF.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 07:10:17 AM by Gecko »
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3281 on: July 14, 2012, 08:50:39 AM »
Why are people complaining about the controls? They look to be about the same as LoS, with a few modifications to make them work for the 3DS. I don't recall people being unhappy with LoS's controls.

I think people are complaining because of the fact that this game has a 2.D gameplay but with a 3.D gameplay's control.

As you said, the controls seem to be similar to LOS's controls but reworked for the 3ds.

The only problem with that is that LOS IS A 3.D GAME.

Having to use a analog for a 2.D game just seems "wrong" to me.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #3282 on: July 14, 2012, 10:27:55 AM »

On a 2D game, physics and controls are very important. LoS controls are okay for 3D games.

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3283 on: July 14, 2012, 11:43:17 AM »
I acknowledge that, but up and down directions don't do anything. My point is that there's nothing to cause you to accidentally duck or attack with a subweapon because the only directions that matter are left and right. A game like the DS castlevania games is a little more frustrating on the 3DS than the DS because you will accidentally use magic or hearts without meaning to. That isn't the case here.

Also, have you ever tried playing a game on the3DS for any length of time using its dpad? It's annoyingly stiff and clicky, and makes it feel really awkward to hold the 3DS. THAT would be a bad way to control a game like this. That's exactly why I don't use its dpad for movement in 2D games. It's too awkward.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3284 on: July 14, 2012, 12:27:48 PM »
Also, have you ever tried playing a game on the3DS for any length of time using its dpad? It's annoyingly stiff and clicky, and makes it feel really awkward to hold the 3DS. THAT would be a bad way to control a game like this. That's exactly why I don't use its dpad for movement in 2D games. It's too awkward.

I've never owned a 3DS, but that's the exact thing I thought when I was using the display one at GameStop.

Also, I don't see what's wrong with the Circle Pad in a 2D game. It seems to work fine for 2D games.
In fact, I've never even had a problem with an Analog Stick.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Tags: .....?