Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2405433 times)

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Totally but respectfully have to disagree. Castlevania is not about being Ninja Belmont with a gazillion superpowers and martial-arts acrobatics. The action is meant to work in concert with level design. As LoS is, the combat dominates the level design, and you get what's really boring: redundant smack-downs. I put down an alternative that's more than just one whip button, but not overzealous, either. It would also allow for more dynamic platforming that could work with the combat.

Exactly. And this is a product of an obsession with combos. When you have such combos, it doesn't make sense to have one or two-hit kill enemies. It's why that stuff needs to be pared down immensely.
If they don't take CV64 as inspiration for combat, I'm all in for whatever. CV64 combat is boring as hell. I don't like the games that much anyway, outside of some things it did right.

EDIT: I have a fan. beingthehero perhaps.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:31:27 PM by Maedhros »

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Dunno. Gabe only says it once- in the epilogue- "Eu sunt Dracul"

He could have simply been stating that he is the Dragon, and not calling himself by his name... He could still be named 'Dracula' and not Dracul.

I think we're splitting hairs here. Gabula is obviously supposed to be Dracula. Dracul is just another name for that.

Anyhoo, Its been high noon in my pants since hearing this news. Anyone have a pic of the poster with the wolf that has been mentioned? The facebook posting doesn't show up for me.
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
If they don't take CV64 as inspiration for combat, I'm all in for whatever. CV64 combat is boring as hell. I don't like the games that much anyway, outside of some things it did right.

I just want platforming is it that hard to do konami? action is good but that is not cv.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
I only ever had an issue with the Skeletons and the Creeping Coffins. Hoooly shit those coffins.

Although, upon re-visiting the Castle sewers, the skeletons were quickly dispatched with an Ultimate Light. :P though the FIRST time I fought them, they were a pain in the ass.

I have yet to replay the Titan Graveyard though... I should... Just to see how the Creeping Coffins hold up to Ultimate Light.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:49:22 PM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
I only ever had an issue with the Skeletons and the Creeping Coffins. Hoooly shit those coffins.

Although, upon re-visiting the Castle sewers, the skeletons were quickly dispatched with an Ultimate Light. :P though the FIRST time I fought them, they were a pain in the ass.

I have yet to replay the Titan Graveyard though... I should... just to see how the Creeping Coffins hold up to Ultimate Light.

UL and US are the super moves  if holy water can bang them up then UL will super bang them.
(click to show/hide)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Exactly. And this is a product of an obsession with combos. When you have such combos, it doesn't make sense to have one or two-hit kill enemies. It's why that stuff needs to be pared down immensely.

I'd be in for a combat style where the largest combo is four hits, because not only do long combos strengthen the enemies, but they flatten the level design.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Perhaps he calls himself Dracul, but people call him Dracula because he's the son of the devil in their eyes?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:22:08 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Yeah. To be honest though, I appreciate the difficulty. Metroidvanias just weren't challenging anymore. They... Really never were, due solely to the level up system and the amount of stuff they throw at you.

Symphony ESPECIALLY is guilty of this. GALAMOTH was harder than Dracula. In fact, all the bosses were pretty easy except for Galamoth. Symphony just gives you SO much stuff, in addition to two self sustains in the form of Dark Metamorphosis and Soul Steal. Soul Steal especially- aside from the regular food and health items you can use.

Perhap's he calls himsel Dracul, but people call him Dracula because he's the son of the devil in their eyes?
That sounds vaguely plausible... Though we'll have to see I guess.

EDIT: Half the fun about the new universe is that you just cant predict anything! It's all an exciting surprise! With the old timeline, you more or less had a formula you could guess on. it was routine by now. But with a fresh start, it's all up in the air!

Im so excited for how the story turns out.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:22:25 PM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline flyingchai

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Perhap's he calls himsel Dracul, but people call him Dracula because he's the son of the devil in their eyes?

Yes. Yes. YES goshdarnit! I specifically asked Cox this on his Twitter a couple of months ago. Once again, here's a copy:
----------------
@CastlevaniaLOS So Dracula calls himself Dracul because in HIS mind he IS The Dragon since he whipped Satan's ass. Did I get that right? ;-D

@gameshowvault - Yes.
-----------------
Dracul is Dracula because he thinks he is The Dragon. The people calling him "Dracula" because they believe Satan is as evil as it gets and he's the next worst thing. This comes from Cox himself, he should know.
And please let's not get started with the "Cox is a liar" shit in an effort to add speculation where it's not needed. We have enough of that to go around several times to each person.
http://flyingchai.deviantart.com - My art here is usually CV inspired
http://www.twitter.com/flyingchai01 - Tweeting more and more lately

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Yeah. To be honest though, I appreciate the difficulty. Metroidvanias just weren't challenging anymore. They... Really never were, due solely to the level up system and the amount of stuff they throw at you.

Symphony ESPECIALLY is guilty of this. GALAMOTH was harder than Dracula. In fact, all the bosses were pretty easy except for Galamoth. Symphony just gives you SO much stuff, in addition to two self sustains in the form of Dark Metamorphosis and Soul Steal. Soul Steal especially- aside from the regular food and health items you can use.

EDIT: Half the fun about the new universe is that you just cant predict anything! It's all an exciting surprise! With the old timeline, you more or less had a formula you could guess on. it was routine by now. But with a fresh start, it's all up in the air!

OoE is hard on Level 1 cap mode and not getting hit. The older titles are where I go looking for difficult, though.

RAMP the difficult, I love hard games that frustates me because I did something wrong.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards

I think jiang shi if that is how you spell it was an odd one for me correct me if I am wrong but that thing never dies right. I remember dieing quite a few times.

Besides your not the only one who is excited for how the story ends  :)

Also I am currently playing SOTN for the ps1 and those special moves are hard to do I wonder if it's me or the controller :-\
(click to show/hide)

Offline kingu

• Dragon
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
  • You should have saying!
    • Awards
these are a lot of pages to read through to check if someone already made a bruce lee joke

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
I remember trying a fist weapon only run of SoTN when I DL'd it on Xbox. Though I tanked quite a few hits and abused the FUCK out of Soul Steal, game was still relatively easy. (Minus Galamoth. Had to cheat a liiiitle bit with him... >_>)
Got the Jewel Knuckles early through the secret elevator though I admit...

I recommend it though, it's an incredibly refreshing way to play. Makes you think a bit differently, both defensively and offensively. You can get in multiple hits, and criticals galore, but you also take more hits since you have to get so close.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:47:54 PM by Flame »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
I remember trying a fist weapon only run of SoTN when I DL'd it on Xbox. though i tanked quite a few hits and abused the FUCK out of Soul Steal, game was still relatively easy.
Got the Jewel Knuckles early through the secret elevator though I admit...

I recommend it though, it's an incredibly refreshing way to play. Makes you think a bit differently, both defensively and offensively. You can get in multiple hits, and criticals galore, but you also take more hits since you have to get so close.

Using the jewel knuckles all ready ever used that elavator platform trick to get that armor and the knuckles early in the game.

edit after rereading this I feel so embarassed  :-[
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:50:45 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards

anything