Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2416066 times)

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
I hate wall shimmering, goddamit, who invented this SHIT. It fucking sucks. That's not platforming, at all. Walking on planks isn't it, too. I hope to see actual platforming on this game, puts Double jump in since start, I don't really care. Just make

Crazy Climber (1980, Nichibutsu)

Crazy Climber arcade game

Could replace the main sprite with Gabriel and the skyscraper with Drac's castle, have some skeletons tossing bones at you. :)

And I'm going to come out and say I liked the shimmying.  I can absolutely see where the disdain comes from.  They’ve taken an action-platforming series and added in some linear sections of shimmying and wall jumping—something more native  to Tomb Raider or Prince of Persia.  It slows the pace of the game, pads out sub-chapters, there were camera issues, it wasn't easy knowing where you were going, those flashing platforms showing you where to go seemed odd and alien . . .

But!  What a way to take in some of those beautiful environments.  It slowed the pace of the game down just enough that one would appreciate more of the background artwork, those moments of solitude were with Gabriel and his quest.  It did mix up the gameplay quite nicely IMO.  And climbing Abbot Dorin's abbey (Chpt. 5-5) was a real highlight of the game for me.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
The problem is: it doesn't have ANY difficult, it's too automatic. I don't know, I prefer platformers in the traditional way. Since Ice Climbers, Kid Icarus, Mario, Sonic and such...

For me, 3D platforming is what Castlevania 64 does. Crash Bandicoot series, Mario 64 (and sequels) does. It gets in the way and is incorporated into the design of the game, not only to slow the pace, but because these games are platformers in essence. Castlevania was an action platformer, they could put more platforming elements on it.

Yeah, LoS vistas are beautiful, but I don't think platforming makes it any better. I could appreciate these vistas without the shitty platforming it does. GoW, Uncharted, Prince of Persia, Assassins Creed... it's not how I wanted games to evolve at all.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:19:59 AM by Maedhros »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Possible leak of the chapters in the game:

https://images.4chan.org/vg/src/1338300916299.jpg

One of the chapters is called "Legion".

And the last part of the game seems to be take place in modern times.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:20:28 AM by Nagumo »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Possible leak of the chapters in the game:

https://images.4chan.org/vg/src/1338300916299.jpg

One of the chapters is called "Legion".

And the last part of the game seems to be take place in modern times.
Entrance Hall caught my eye.

Super Castlevania IV OST: Stage 6 Entrance Hall (6-1)

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
If that were is insider information, why refer to the game as "Lords of Shadow 2"? If the person can leak that kind of specific information, surely he would know the actual name of the game?

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Now that you've mentioned it, that does sound a bit fishy.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
The Spiral Staircase reminds me of that area in the epilogue where we saw Slogra's corpse.

Interesting there are some chapters between longer ones that are marked with CODA. No idea what it means, but maybe some chapters take place in the modern setting filling in gaps in the story.

EDIT: The first CODA chapter is titled The Shattered Mirror. Mirror of Fate is supposed to tie LoS into LoS2.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
I've been thinking about that, what if Mercury takes a better vanguardist (Does it mean what I think it means?) storytelling in where in every game they tell a little of the last game? I think it would be great, you would feel the story is going forward and that's a motivation that perhaps is lacking. Also, they could pull off neat surprises related to characters in the past due to events in the future.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)

Sounds like we gonna have a hell of more traditional CV places here! :D

I'm over excited.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
A lot of these chapter names borrow from Greek and all kinds of mythology. Whoever made this knew how to get inside Mercury Steam's heads, everything sounds like something they would come up with.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
I really start to think that LoS was the prologue to the new timeline and that's why it felt less CV than other games.

Also, Zobek = final boss?

Offline Lords of Shitow

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
if real fuck MS, castle barely has a place in the game at all again hah

probably wasting my time but proper noun lookup:

"belasco" bog from simons quest
http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Belasco_Marsh
"hel," norse goddess of the underworld
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hel_%28being%29
"geryon," greek giant, also in dante's inferno
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geryon
"ninth circle," place from dante's inferno
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_%28Dante%29#Ninth_Circle_.28Treachery.29
"antaeus," another greek giant, also in dante's inferno
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antaeus

lots of hell talk there, does part of the game take place in hell? heh

probably fake tho, dont trust anything from 4chan

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:49:49 AM by Lords of Shitow »

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Out of all the rumors we've gathered over the past weeks, this is the only one that I call bullshit on.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Out of all the rumors we've gathered over the past weeks, this is the only one that I call bullshit on.
Would be funny if this one turned out to be the truth and the rest were completely bogus.

Whoever made this had a lot of time on their hands, seems awfully silly to even want to mock up a chapter listing.

anything