Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 462018 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (Fan Project)
« Reply #570 on: June 26, 2016, 09:16:53 PM »
I should probably post this finally--nearly forgot about it.  :P

https://soundcloud.com/dracula9antichapel/castlevania-umbra-of-sorrow-the-count-voice-demo

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #571 on: June 27, 2016, 01:17:27 AM »
@plot: Ooohhhh nice track. I have a feeling what that moment is.
@D9: yes! :) More more!

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #572 on: June 27, 2016, 05:20:24 PM »
Great demo for Drac, D9.  OMG though, Last Light is amazing!  Love it.  It sounds like an official CV track.  Love it.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #573 on: June 27, 2016, 06:28:59 PM »
I should probably post this finally--nearly forgot about it.  :P

https://soundcloud.com/dracula9antichapel/castlevania-umbra-of-sorrow-the-count-voice-demo

This is seriously really good. Have you done this professionally D9? If not, you should.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #574 on: June 27, 2016, 08:41:20 PM »
Working on it.  :)

Now that my pop filter's finally arrived and my soundproofing barrier is being built, I can go after this stuff a bit more head-on.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #575 on: July 01, 2016, 01:42:03 AM »
+1
Hello!

Today I come to ask you to give your opinion on a point on Umbra's development. Before I ask, I need to clarify one thing I already did on this thread: There is a game-designing document being created for this in case it becomes a game. Now, with that said, I want your opinion on the following:

In the game version of this project, an enemy is introduced to drive home a plot point: The Bogeyman. The Bogeyman is a creature who manifests as its prey's worst fears, intending to weaken them to consume them easily. This enemy will appear to three characters in the story, one of them being Alucard. Alucard's greatest fear is of turning into a complete vampire. Therefore, the Bogeyman appears as Alucard himself -- but fully vampirized, and in a scene evoking Alucard's own psyche.

During the development of this enemy, I proposed an idea, and my partner proposed another. Then we proposed counterpoints to these ideas, and came to disagreement. The two ideas are the following:

1. The Bogeyman manifests to Alucard as Alucard himself in full vampire mode. The arena changes to the village where Alucard's mother was killed. The village is burning, in reference to the first and only time Alucard succumbed to his vampiric urges, mentioned on the Radio Drama to happen in the same place. Nothing else is present but the burning village, Alucard and his own vampire persona.

2. The Bogeyman manifests to Alucard as Alucard himself in full vampire mode. The arena changes to the village where Alucard's mother was killed, referencing her sacrifice and last words. Also a reference to SotN, where the Succubus tries tempting Alucard. Alucard witnesses his full-vampire persona slaughtering the villagers that killed his mother while her corpse overlooks the carnage like a grim harbinger, thus not only succumbing to his dark side but also denying his mother's dying wishes and attacking humans out of vengeance and hatred.

The counterpoints are the following:

Counterpoint to idea 2 and defense of idea 1:

(click to show/hide)

Counterpoint to idea 1 and defense of idea 2:

(click to show/hide)

I will not say who proposed what idea or counterpoint for a reason: You might end up biased. I'm not looking to be appeased, but to choose between two ideas which there is no agreement. The points and counterpoints here are written by its creators in their own words as to not incur on misrepresentation.

I'm also not telling who my development partner is for the same reason as before: Turning this into a game is not a 100% certainty and I don't want people expecting a burden from a person who would be doing this out of free will.

So, that's it. Please give your opinions.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 02:47:42 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #576 on: July 01, 2016, 01:51:39 AM »
Hmmm... I actually prefer idea 1.
Even if someone does not know about the Radio drama, the burning village is good enough to show an alternate reality.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #577 on: July 01, 2016, 05:07:45 AM »
Idea 1 is better. Keep it simple and not too explicit.

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #578 on: July 01, 2016, 11:06:38 AM »
1 would be better. You could always have him just finishing "feeding" to further drive the point.

Alternatively you could go for something completely different and have Alucard Lord of Castlevania

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #579 on: July 03, 2016, 06:08:02 PM »
So it's three votes for idea 1. If anyone else wishes to vote, please comment here.

The next update is near. On this update I'll reveal one more artwork, one more character, and also elaborate a little on what the game-design ideas at this point are. I'll try to explain what exactly is the "game" situation for this project right now, because it's pretty obvious there is something game-y going on.

But I'll always repeat: The story is the primary focus and will probably come out before anything resembling a game does.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 06:30:41 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #580 on: July 04, 2016, 01:36:05 AM »
I can't wait for the next update. :)

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #581 on: July 04, 2016, 05:27:21 AM »
Just my own opinion:

I like the role the character is supposed to fulfill, but why go for the Bogeyman? It's a tired, American horror trope that's been used for cheap scares in almost every kind of horror game, save for Castlevania. I mean, if you're looking for an already existent "nightmare character", there's Paranoia in CV itself. Otherwise, I'd love to see a similarly-inspired character from your local mythologies you've spoken to me about.

For voting purposes: I vote for 2. It lends a sense of poignancy to the scene that the first scenario doesn't fully deliver on.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #582 on: July 04, 2016, 08:58:46 AM »
I like the role the character is supposed to fulfill, but why go for the Bogeyman? It's a tired, American horror trope that's been used for cheap scares in almost every kind of horror game, save for Castlevania. I mean, if you're looking for an already existent "nightmare character", there's Paranoia in CV itself. Otherwise, I'd love to see a similarly-inspired character from your local mythologies you've spoken to me about.

The Bogeyman was chosen specifically for the reason you used as demerit: It's a tired horror trope, as the werewolf, the vampire, the zombie, the skeleton, the ghost, the horned demon, the Grim Reaper, etc etc etc. Bogeyman is one of the creatures of classic horror cliché that never made an appearance on a game where classic, cheesy horror clichés are at home.

Another reason for the Bogeyman to appear is that one single well-known monster from culture was needed to replace the Succubus and the Doppelganger at the same time, playing a similar role while giving me freedom to create upon -- something an already established monster such as Paranoia doesn't allow. At the present moment there is a conscious effort to avoid using the Succubus and the Doppelganger anywhere in this project.

I'm adding creatures from my own folklore, but only one has the possibility of making it in as a powerful creature/mid-boss (which is one IGA himself expressed he'd make into a boss, given the opportunity), which is the Headless Mule. The Bogeyman equivalent of the brazilian/Tupi mythos is the demon "Jurupari", yet the Bogeyman is far more well-known than the Jurupari even in Brazil (known as "Bicho Papão"). None of the brazilian-myth monsters present on the game version are present on the story version.

A little more about the Bogeyman's relevance:

The character is present on the project with the sole purpose of being a context-sensitive enemy, not an active character. It has no plot-relevant speaking role, plot twists or anything generally reserved for complexly-constructed characters. It's existence is context relevant, but not plot heavy. Its presence is meant to assist (not guide) the story in an unique way when it's not being told -- hence why it exists on the game version and not in the story version. If the story has the entire spotlight, then the Bogeyman is not needed as this specific plot-mechanic will support itself through the character's inner conflict.

Sure, of course I understand that you can write a story and still have the Bogeyman be relevant. But that's not the point: If I'm writing about one character's personal fear, I'll represent it on a more contrived manner than "a monster trying to eat you" which, quite honestly, is what the Bogeyman ultimately is. The point of the Bogeyman is to be a context-sensitive enemy for the character to symbolically overcome their fear without the need for any words -- thus why it is a game-only asset. The more words I can/must use to convey this overcoming, the less "visual" the conflict needs to be, and less important the Bogeyman becomes.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 02:15:04 PM by theplottwist »

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #583 on: July 04, 2016, 01:08:12 PM »
Unrelated but have you thought a reason to why is Yoko named...well..."Yoko"

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #584 on: July 04, 2016, 01:32:25 PM »
Unrelated but have you thought a reason to why is Yoko named...well..."Yoko"

Yes. Yoko is of partially japanese descent. Lenora Belnades is her mother, but has no japanese ancestry whatsoever. How is that possible is covered on Umbra's plot, but I'll say right now that it's not a surprise. It's pretty predictable and somewhat unnoteworthy, actually.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:13:30 AM by theplottwist »

Tags: 1999 Awes