Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Russia's chic uniform 'sends soldiers to hospital'  (Read 7164 times)

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Russia's chic uniform 'sends soldiers to hospital'
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 06:12:16 PM »
While I am not going to respond about the war in Georgia, because I know too little about it to have an actual opinion, I must say Highwind Dragoon is making a good point. It's not like any national group who live in a certain territory, and wish to have a local government rather than obey state law can just declare independence. If they could, there would be no law and that would be anarchy.

If there is any set of rules, which I see as the ultimate basis for modern democratic law, it's the United States Declaration of Independence.
A magnificent document, which was written to justify the right of the American colony to become independent from the British Empire.  
USA is an example for a country who did not have a national identity (as it was formed from different nations), and achieved its independence mostly out of political and economic reasons. And so it states:

Of course, England was not willing to let America slip out of their hands, and so a war followed.
This is what usually happens when a certain group tries to form an autonomy against the will of the state controlling it- the state uses military power in order to make it submit to its will; a lot like a slave demanding his freedom from his master, the master would certainly not let him get away. He would shoot him, or punish him.
Sometimes the military power is used rightfully, and sometimes not. But that can be argued.

Remember though that South Ossetia declared their independence right after the fall of the Soviet Union. They did not want to be part of an independent Georgian nation, and therefore declared independence. Seeing how many new countries were made from former Soviet Oblasts in 1991, its surprising that Georgia was so bitter about this.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 07:25:56 PM »
If Russia wants south Ossetia to be free, then Chechnya should be, too.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 11:00:12 AM »
Isn't Chechnya free? I thought they were known now as the Chec republic.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 12:18:52 PM »
No, that's the Czech republic, formally a part of the former country of Czechoslovakia.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 05:36:21 PM »
Right! That's how you spell it. shoulda chacked it out before i finalized it.  :P

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Belmonto

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 08:38:04 AM »
The war was Georgia's fault. Georgia started it by attacking the independent nation of South Ossetia. Russia just ended it.

South Ossetia had declared its independence in 1991. Russia has had peacekeepers there since then in order to protect them. Georgia invaded a territory where Russian peacekeepers had been stationed for nearly 20 years! It was completely Georgias fault!

Remember though that South Ossetia declared their independence right after the fall of the Soviet Union. They did not want to be part of an independent Georgian nation, and therefore declared independence. Seeing how many new countries were made from former Soviet Oblasts in 1991, its surprising that Georgia was so bitter about this.

I have researched this topic not so long ago, and I agree with you.
Because of the heavy information war and a lot of disinformation by Georgia,
it was quite difficult for me to find the truth.

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 09:07:29 PM »
If Russia wants south Ossetia to be free, then Chechnya should be, too.

I agree that Russia should let Chechnya become independent. Its more trouble than its worth. However, Russia is capable of doing somethings right even if they are often quite immoral in their actions in other situations. They obviously have ulterior motives, but defending South Ossetia's independence is one of the few goods things they have done in the past 20 years.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Tags:

anything