Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The new games make me want to cry  (Read 25683 times)

Offline ringo

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: The new games make me want to cry
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2007, 10:00:25 PM »
I'm probably 5-10 years older than you, and have been playing castlevania games since 1985, and I ALSO have looked into the programming and AI for several of them.... so I'm gonna go out on a limb here and ask if your high or something? Cuz you  must be to say that to me. ::)
And you still don't get it!

....... great. So let me get this right.... having one character with over 100 moves, while another one has about 20, is a good thing? Yeah real good balancing there. You couldn't "personalize" it if each of them instead had 50 moves, I guess. Riiiiiight..... ::)
Yes, that's exactly what's good about it. You have hundreds of stuff available to you. The player can customize their game to just how they want to play from the wealth of choices they are presented with.

.......... anytime you want to talk that junk, feel free to meet me in the WORST ghetto of a city we agree on in the US. That's the best way of proving "common sense." Bet I'll come out better than you will.  ;)
Oh, if he's seen that picture of you flexing that you seem to parade everywhere then I am sure he is shaking in his little boots in regards to your threats of beating him up.  ::)

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2007, 10:55:10 PM »
Yes, that's exactly what's good about it. You have hundreds of stuff available to you. The player can customize their game to just how they want to play from the wealth of choices they are presented with.

I think what he meant is the lack of balance. When one character has 100s of things he can do, the others should as well. As it is so far in all of iga's games the main characters always receieve all the goodies, while the extras get shoved away and are lucky if they get few moves like Richter or close to nothing like axe armor (and especially sisters mode. I mean, they had nothing at all. Not even attacks, walking, jumping, backdash, or any basic skills. That was just lame and lazy design to the very extreme. Even the poor fangames have more gameplay and replay value than what they did there).

Why can't iga steal the better ideas from the n64 games like each character mode being main one, with own story, balanced abilities, menu and items I dunno. I mean, he stole part of Cornell's storyline for hod, and even the idea of having the shopkeeper appear all over the castle. It was the only castleroid that ever did that.

And if people whine about "having a classic mode" - this can be done with a simple choice in the main starting menu too, and would satisfy both parties.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 10:58:29 PM by Serio »

Offline ringo

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2007, 11:11:01 PM »
In Reply To #32
I can see where you're going with it, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. IGA's games have generally been protagonist oriented while the 64 games had a larger focus on multiple characters, heck you started off with a choice of two at the beginning of CV64. It's just a different approach, not really a matter of balance.

I don't feel too strongly either way to be quite honest, I just got really bothered by his arrogance.

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2007, 04:49:14 AM »
+1
And you still don't get it!

No, you don't get it. Sucks for you. Guess you don't know what the term opinion means. ::)

Great... so on top of being arrogant, you have the reading comprehension of a 5 year old. Man, I so envy you.  ::)

Oh, if he's seen that picture of you flexing that you seem to parade everywhere then I am sure he is shaking in his little boots in regards to your threats of beating him up.  ::)

..... I smell envy. Where's your pic, petunia?  ;)

And again.... I recommend improving your reading comprehension skills... they seem to be a little lacking. Nowhere in that post anywhere did I threaten to beat anyone up.

On that note, I would never threaten to beat someone up if I intended to do something, I would just smash the person dead in their face. Rather than give them the opportunity to attack me first while I was busy talking trash like some high school wanna be gangsta.  ::)

I don't feel too strongly either way to be quite honest, I just got really bothered by his arrogance.

That's funny... considering how I've never spoken even a word for you. Too put it bluntly.... too bad for you, and I really couldn't give 2 shits what you think of me. Take your jealousy and your hating trash across the street. :-*
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 04:50:55 AM by Esco »
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline ringo

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2007, 05:18:37 AM »
...I would just smash the person dead in their face. Rather than give them the opportunity to attack me first while I was busy talking trash like some high school wanna be gangsta...
Damn homes, you're hardcore! No mofo is fuckin' with you!

..... I smell envy. Where's your pic, petunia?  Wink
Unfortunately I am not pretentious enough to go around taking shirtless photos of myself. Sorry  ???

That's funny... considering how I've never spoken even a word for you
No, but you started being a dickhead to a fellow member of the forum who did little more than disagree with you.

But you're right, it is my fault. I shouldn't bother arguing with an obnoxious 20 something who speaks like some braindead 16 year old does in their myspace account, and tells people who don't agree with him about a trivial aspect of a videogame to:

feel free to meet me in the WORST ghetto of a city we agree on in the US. That's the best way of proving "common sense." Bet I'll come out better than you will.

Seriously, what's wrong with you?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 06:23:40 AM by ringo »

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2007, 06:52:51 AM »
w00t looks like this is gonna be our first big fight on the new old forum =D

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2007, 09:28:47 AM »
I just got really bothered by his arrogance.

Gee, if THAT'S not the pot calling the kettle black.  ::)

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2007, 03:13:46 PM »
+1
Damn homes, you're hardcore! No mofo is fuckin' with you!
Unfortunately I am not pretentious enough to go around taking shirtless photos of myself. Sorry  ???
No, but you started being a dickhead to a fellow member of the forum who did little more than disagree with you.

... you got punched in the mouth a LOT as a kid didn't you?

But you're right, it is my fault.

CORRECT! DING DING, WE HAVE A WINNER! Anyone here care to point out the OBVIOUS reason why?

Quote from: ringo
BLAH BLAH HEY EVERYONE LOOK! I like to talk trash, and then act like the victim after I start something. WAAAAAAAHHH

............ once again, allow me to restate what I said before. BUT THIS TIME, I'll make it easier for you to see:

Quote from:  Esco earlier today
That's funny... considering how I've never spoken even a word for you. Too put it bluntly.... too bad for you, and I really couldn't give 2 shits what you think of me. Take your jealousy and your hating trash across the street. :-*
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 03:18:09 PM by Esco »
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
  • Captain Obvious :(
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2007, 03:29:37 PM »
I remember the good ol' days when a sub-forum called Castlevania Discussion was filled with posts relevant to the topic, and not people attacking each other for childish disagreements.

Back on topic, I think the DS games failed in terms of plot and character artwork, but they had their own strong points. DoS in particular had beautiful backgrounds, like the Lost Village or the scene of the snowy exterior of the Castle in the Castle Pinnacle. PoR had some pretty good ideas, but like CoD it fell a little flat, with level design really crimping the overall experience.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 03:32:00 PM by Azmodan »
---------------------------------------
The Chapel of Resonance- OST's, reviews, translations, and the latest Fan Games- any and everything Castlevania!

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2007, 04:51:16 PM »

Esco, You are being arrogant though >.>

I liked how SotN was. I just thought that the enemies shouldve had more attacks and better motion, which Alucard definitely had. Akmodan and such had really slow and stupid movement and therefore they were just weak. I'm sure they couldve made it harder just by making the enemy have better AI with faster moves and more of them.

Offline ProtoBelmont

• is not a newbie
  • Hunter in Training
  • I am the voice inside your head
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2007, 06:42:30 PM »
Esco, You are being arrogant though >.>

I liked how SotN was. I just thought that the enemies shouldve had more attacks and better motion, which Alucard definitely had. Akmodan and such had really slow and stupid movement and therefore they were just weak. I'm sure they couldve made it harder just by making the enemy have better AI with faster moves and more of them.

Indeed, please no more fighting. ahhhh. : ( But I always though of ways that enemies could perhaps defend themselves against us in the future of the series, where it'd cause us to actually think more than to just run up and try to blast through every enemy we see. Of course not all enemies should be like that, don't want to turn Castlevania into an absolute strategy game. hehe. But Kale pretty much has my same thoughts! (Possible counter attacks would be sweet to!)

Unfortunately I am not pretentious enough to go around taking shirtless photos of myself.

: ( Ahh. I take pictures without mah shirt... but I'm also among the most unimportant, worthless people on the planet. So I think things cancel out perhaps?! lol

Richter501

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2007, 07:35:08 PM »
In Reply To #31
i see what u mean, just about every castlevania game is like that :)

Offline ringo

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2007, 12:56:43 AM »
Quote from: ProtoBelmont link=topic=37.msg1564#msg1564
: ( Ahh. I take pictures without mah shirt... but I'm also among the most unimportant, worthless people on the planet. So I think things cancel out perhaps?! lol
If you have it show it! He doesn't though. It only applies where you are showing off something you don't really have.

Proto, you are one of the best blokes in this forum and I did not mean to offend you with that comment. My sincere apologies.

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2007, 02:56:54 PM »
lol

What the hell is going on here?  God  ;D

EDIT:

I should post something relevant to the topic...

*ahem*

Yes, the DS games' presentations are off.  On top of that, the designers are being quite lazy in areas regarding the capabilities of the enemies, sprites, stage design, and graphics overall.  They do manage to produce gold here and there, but it's scattered and usually wasted.  I think that much shows you that they have the capability, but they're either rushed, lazy, or just lack consistent creative vision. 

Oh well...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 03:05:34 PM by Snoop Doggy Dogg »

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2007, 11:11:22 PM »
In Reply To #44

I think rushed and lacking in focused creative vision are the answers we're looking for. Like you said, they come up with some great ideas here and there, but they usually aren't developed enough, and thus, seem wasted.

I liked PoR a lot, because it DID have a lot of cool ideas, as did DoS, but there was a certain "sameness" present in these games, like I'd played them before.

Tags: