Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Let's discuss A Clockwork Orange  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« on: August 11, 2012, 03:40:45 PM »
Yeah, you hooligans, I know many of you read the book or at least watched the movie. I just read that thing and I feel like there are so many things to discuss about it.

First of all, I hate Alex. He is the worst kind of evil character that I ever encountered. And it's not about him being a disgusting sadist, murderer and anarchist. It's all that, plus his impossibly disturbing hypocrisy. Being the kind of abominable being that he is, I am incredibly annoyed by the way he, the narrator, sees himself as a nice guy. He is highly intelligent, knows perfectly that what he is doing is wrong and evil, and nevertheless he thinks of himself as "quite a nice person" who is just "fooling around" and is disgusted by the presence of "real criminals" in jail. Plus, when he is punished for his crimes he thinks it's injustice. I could have hated him much less if the kid at least had a little dignity to acknowledge that he's as bad as the rest of the scum in prison.

Second of all, what do you think of the "treatment" he received? I know that half of the story's criticism is about how the treatment is not right by taking away his ability to choose between good and evil, yet in Alex's case and similar cases, I would totally approve of it as he would under no other condition choose to be a righteous citizen.

Your say?
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 06:37:13 PM »
Yeah, you hooligans, I know many of you read the book or at least watched the movie. I just read that thing and I feel like there are so many things to discuss about it.

First of all, I hate Alex. He is the worst kind of evil character that I ever encountered. And it's not about him being a disgusting sadist, murderer and anarchist. It's all that, plus his impossibly disturbing hypocrisy. Being the kind of abominable being that he is, I am incredibly annoyed by the way he, the narrator, sees himself as a nice guy. He is highly intelligent, knows perfectly that what he is doing is wrong and evil, and nevertheless he thinks of himself as "quite a nice person" who is just "fooling around" and is disgusted by the presence of "real criminals" in jail. Plus, when he is punished for his crimes he thinks it's injustice. I could have hated him much less if the kid at least had a little dignity to acknowledge that he's as bad as the rest of the scum in prison.

Second of all, what do you think of the "treatment" he received? I know that half of the story's criticism is about how the treatment is not right by taking away his ability to choose between good and evil, yet in Alex's case and similar cases, I would totally approve of it as he would under no other condition choose to be a righteous citizen.

Your say?

I've not read the book but I was quite fascinated by the film some years ago and would have read the original work if I'd had access to an unedited version. The original American editions omitted the last chapter in which Alex is shown to be fully cured and a good person, something Kubrick also left out of his movie.

I don't think Alex is supposed to think he's a good person though, he is just presenting himself as a good person to us. We're an audience just like the prison chaplin* who think's he's a good Christian for memorizing the Bible when really he's fantasizing about helping in the crucifixion. I think part of the point there is that we never really know what's going on in someone's head, and our presumptions are often wrong.  He refers to us as "his only friends" and he uses Nadsat, the Russian influenced (remember this was during the cold war) fake slang language to dull the shock of what he's doing. "The old in-out" sounds better than "rape" for example, at least until you realize that's what it means. He's an extreme sadist, but he feels very deeply, we're moved by his descriptions of the arts for example.

In the end though the Ludavico technique takes away his ability to be good or bad, he's just a victim. In the latter half of the story we see that his former victims can be just as inhumane as he. Basically, at least as Kubrick paints it, the world is less "good and bad" as it is the powerful and the powerless, torturers and victims. Even the idealistic journalist gives up his attempt to help the common people to get revenge on a now-helpless Alex.
It's a great and deeply disturbing movie that can be read many ways. One thing's for sure though, you'll never hear "Singing in the Rain" the same way again.

*Or "Charlie" a play on Charlie Chaplin, probably my favorite Nadsat-ism.

PS- As well as being a victim he also becomes an automaton. Without free will to choose how we act, we're basically "Clockwork" people.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 08:45:08 AM by Ratty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 09:53:51 PM »
The movie has lots of tits.

Oh, it's also a really good movie with a great score.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 02:12:24 AM »
I enjoyed the movie, but I thought the original book was much better. The end chapter is REALLY important, IMO, without it the point the author tried to make is occluded entirely.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 06:23:48 AM »
The movie has lots of tits.

Oh, it's also a really good movie with a great score.

That has got to be the most constructive review I've ever heard. 10/10

The Best Part in Beavis & Butthead Do America

*facepalm*
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:27:00 AM by Mooning Freddy »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 08:16:24 PM »
One time I said I liked Clockwork Orange, someone on uh... I think it was SomethingAwful asked me if was because I personally identified with Alex.

They were referring to my writing style.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:22:47 PM by Super Waffle »

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 11:40:22 PM »
I was about to say the same thing, Waffle-kun.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Tags:

anything