Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 458064 times)

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (Fan Project)
« Reply #480 on: March 11, 2016, 08:00:29 PM »
So here is the sprite versions of Alucard in Human and Vampire forms side by side:

EDIT: Added red outline for better viewing. Also, Alucard is in "Dark Metamorphosis" during this state, so it makes sense.

WOW!  Those sprites look amazing! :D 
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline FeRcHuLeS

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Third Place
    • Awards
« Reply #481 on: March 11, 2016, 08:16:56 PM »

...What? Where did you hear such a thing?

Sorry, my mistake I posted to the wrong thread, but the concept you are developing focusing on story and the untold chapter of castlevania fascinate me too, especially since IGA was gone from Konami maybe this chapter will be archived indefinitely.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #482 on: March 12, 2016, 08:40:07 AM »
How about that art book idea? It would be cool for you have at least 1 printed copy of your work in one place...

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Castle34hk

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #483 on: March 12, 2016, 09:26:37 AM »
AWESOME work so freaking good you are VERY good keep it up cant wait too play this.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #484 on: March 12, 2016, 11:29:14 AM »
AWESOME work so freaking good you are VERY good keep it up cant wait too play this.

This is not a actual game. Just fan-fiction at this point.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #485 on: March 12, 2016, 03:59:08 PM »
+3
How about that art book idea? It would be cool for you have at least 1 printed copy of your work in one place...

I don't think Konami would like this.

MAYBE after I finish the story, I can get all the art and the story into a printable format full of frillies and artsies and distribute it for free.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Castle34hk

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #486 on: March 13, 2016, 11:00:19 AM »
What???

This Umbra of Sorrow (Fan Project) its not a fan game???

Not a game??? What a??

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #487 on: March 13, 2016, 11:57:10 AM »
What???

This Umbra of Sorrow (Fan Project) its not a fan game???

Not a game??? What a??

Read the first post on the very first page.

This project is not a fangame YET. It's not a fangame because a fangame takes way too long and way too many resources to create. It's a promise I can't uphold alone. I simply can't afford that much time and that many resources to create a fangame yet.

If I do a game, I'm doing one hell of a game. The fangame to end all fangames. I refuse to deliver half-baked content, and at this point a game would come half-baked. For now I compromise to deliver a story, and I'm infusing my best efforts to deliver a good one.

That said, plans for a fangame are not discarded. I'm designing the project in such a manner that, if the chance to develop a game arises, there will be resources ready for it. And I got a killer team to help me: There is artwork done by Junki, there is soundtrack being done by Chernabogue and Dracula9 (and two more artists yet to be made public), there is a map, there is a gameplay system in mind, there are conceptual sprites, there are people reviewing the plot all the time, there are japanese-speaking sources helping me so I don't get the nuances wrong, and if everything goes fine, there will even be voice-acting.

All of these things are not for nothing. If a game doesn't come, at least you'll have a lot of things designed to stir your imagination while you read (or listen, who knows?) the story :P
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 12:10:55 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #488 on: March 14, 2016, 03:05:48 AM »
I love pretty Alucard! ♪
The sprites are looking really good!
I can't wait to read more of your story. The fangame can wait.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #489 on: March 16, 2016, 09:59:11 PM »
(click to show/hide)

This 2 years gap give a lot of contradiction in a lot of aspects, I think it would be better to have 1  contradiction with Eric age than a lot.
It is said in Portrait of Ruin that someone vampirized can be healed only if it have been turned in recently, also Death wouldn't notice Dracula absence in 2 years? I think even less than 1 week would be enough (frankly in less than 1 day, but whatever).

Lastly it would be the first that someone took so much time to notice Dracula's Castle and do something about it.

Heh sorry for my late reply about this and remember that I appreciate what you have here.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #490 on: March 16, 2016, 10:17:30 PM »
This 2 years gap give a lot of contradiction in a lot of aspects, I think it would be better to have 1  contradiction with Eric age than a lot.
It is said in Portrait of Ruin that someone vampirized can be healed only if it have been turned in recently, also Death wouldn't notice Dracula absence in 2 years? I think even less than 1 week would be enough (frankly in less than 1 day, but whatever).

Lastly it would be the first that someone took so much time to notice Dracula's Castle and do something about it.

Yep, I argued that already in another thread when we were discussing how long is "too long for Sanctuary to not work". Apparently, two years is not long enough for vampirism to take over. Yet just a couple minutes was too much for Sara.

As the project proposes, I can't contradict what the manual says. Both manuals, english and japanese, say that Eric died at 50 years old. I could ignore that as it doesn't have a TOO big of an impact, but this is not the project's proposal.

-Portrait of Ruin takes place in 1944;
-Eric was born in 1892;
-1944 - 1892 = 52
-Then the manual says he died at 50 years old:

Since the canon offers zero explanation about Death's arrival, the only logical conclusion I can draw is that Brauner was cutting Death off from the castle by hijacking its power. Thus Death had not yet emerged from chaos as his master wasn't truly revived nor near being revived.

Also, there are some things about Death we must consider:

We do not know how long Death has been inside the castle. Maybe he's been inside it for a looooong time now, trying to figure out what is happening, but Brauner has evaded his detection for all this time. Or maybe he HAS detected Brauner, but didn't found a way to attack him or an opportunity to revive Dracula -- until Jonathan and Charlotte showed up. He said he didn't know who Brauner was, but that could have been a lie.

If you're Death and Brauner has separated the Throne needed to revive Dracula, and has sealed himself inside a room where you have no way to gain access to, there's not much you can do but wait, right? And this wait can take years.

This would not be the first time this happens, also. In CoD, we don't know how long Death has been disguised as Zead wandering the lands. He knows Dracula is not present, but this doesn't stop him from acting alone. His plan was to use Hector's body, but what if Hector never came? He'd stay wandering the lands maybe for years to come (maybe this is what happened, even, before Hector showed up). So Death can return by itself with no castle or no Dracula present to act alone. It's definitelly within the realm of possibility for Death to wait years for the best opportunities to show up.

As for Umbra -- there is an explanation for Death's late arrival on Portrait. Though it'll probably play no role in Umbra's main plot in any form.

About the sisters: Important to mention is that VINCENT is the one who is "in the early stages [of vampirism]." Eric says that if the sisters "become full vampires, then it may be too late", but we don't know the reason why they're not still full vampires. As we know by Sara and Walter, the transformation is REALLY quick. If they have been vampires for two years, then they could be clinging to their humanity during all this time by being related to the Belmonts. Evidence for that is that the whip refused to attack the sisters because they're related to the Belmonts, and not because "they're not full vampires yet". The whip had no problem attacking half-vampires before, as is the case with Alucard who is a half-vampire AND good hearted. Belmont blood is powerful, yo.

After saving the sisters, Eric says: "You were in time?! I don't believe it. It's a miracle!" To think it's a miracle Sanctuary worked, they must have been vampirized a long time ago.

Lastly, after you first fight Stella, she briefly returns to normal just before Loretta shows up. This is evidence that the vampirism was unable to take over completelly. For what reason, though, is up for debate.

Heh sorry for my late reply about this and remember that I appreciate what you have here.

No prob dude. Your criticism is always welcome, and I'll do the possible if I can to heed it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:27:51 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #491 on: March 21, 2016, 03:12:18 PM »
Thanks, I didn't knew that it was backed up by the manual too. That clear all contradictions. Now we can imagine Death wandering in the castle for 2 years XD

Maybe Death never noticed Dracula's absense because no one could reach the throne room, him being so loyal as he is wouldn't even question why his master would shield himself from the world, until noticing something strange.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #492 on: March 24, 2016, 06:26:57 PM »
Lenora sort of looks like a more mature Charlotte imo.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #493 on: March 30, 2016, 03:08:11 PM »
Today I come to talk about Umbra's antagonists: The cult named Angolmois, working in the shadows to ensure Dracula's rise in 1999.

Heavy spoiler ahead. There is not much I can keep under wraps for this project anymore, so from now on, basically everything I post will be spoily in some way. Also, this will come in two parts, so today is part 1:

(click to show/hide)

That's it. Part 2 will come soon. Some things here were kept secret, but I can answer through PM to anyone who wishes to know.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 02:41:47 PM by theplottwist »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #494 on: March 31, 2016, 05:42:17 PM »
Here is part 2:

(click to show/hide)

So, this is the basic framework for Angolmois' motivations and moves up until 1999.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 06:07:42 PM by theplottwist »

Tags: 1999 Awes