Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848915 times)

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania Mirror of Fate ( 3DS per request )
« Reply #1590 on: May 30, 2012, 02:04:12 PM »
You have to admit though, there were more than enough chances given to Iga to explain all this. He just totally failed to do so.

How the fuck can you minus me when I bring up a valid point?

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1591 on: May 30, 2012, 02:04:21 PM »
+1
One thing that I wonder is that, while its great to have exploration make a return, will there be weapons and items to be found in this huge exploration castle?

You know, something akin to SOTN and the other DS titles?

I mean, It would kinda be a waste to have to travel through such a big castle without being able to find rare items and stronger weapons if you ask me.

I was wondering about this too. Even LoI, which mainly focused on your whip usage, had some loots for you to pick up along the way. Will the game mainly focus on finding lots of upgrades and relics, not necessarily equipment like armor and accessories? Being a huge fan of the Metroid series and similar games, I'm sure I could live with this.

My other curiosities are how New Game + will be handled and whether we can start a new game and skip all but absolutely necessary upgrades for the masochists out there, also like in LoI.

Offline DingusBelmondo

• Mysterious Stranger
  • Vampire Hunter
  • "Is this your wife? What a lovely throat!"
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1592 on: May 30, 2012, 02:09:32 PM »
+5
To each his own, I suppose, but in my opinion, if the main reason you loved Castlevania was for the established canon and storyline, I don't want you to have any influence over the fate of the series. It would seem that some fans would prefer it if Castlevania was a convoluted anime series, and care less about it's core fundamentals: Exciting/challenging game play, Gothic/horror theme and mood, and the Belmont lineage vs. their archenemy Dracula. The rebooted series is delivering all of that, on a grander, more serious scale. LoS's story telling was a little sloppy, but  no doubt presented the most compelling tale since Symphony. The old canon had become a joke. We will never know if Mercury steam was the best team for the job, but we should be happy with what we got; a modern re-imagining of our beloved series that took a whole game to set up the motives of one of the greatest villains of all time. And now we have our true Belmonts, (presumably) behaving exactly as we have come to expect them to.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:11:36 PM by LordOfShadows »
Go. Set Forth! Both your own life and hers are at stake.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1593 on: May 30, 2012, 02:12:16 PM »
To each his own, I suppose, but in my opinion, if the main reason you loved Castlevania was for the established canon and storyline, I don't want you to have any influence over the fate of the series. It would seem that some fans would prefer it if Castlevania was a convoluted anime series, and care less about it's core fundamentals: Exciting/challenging game play, gothic/horror theme and mood, and the Belmont lineage vs. their archenemy Dracula. The rebooted series is delivering all of that, on a grander, more serious scale. LoS's story telling was a little sloppy, but was no doubt presented the most compelling tale since Symphony. The old canon had become a joke. We will never know if Mercury steam was the best team for the job, but we should be happy with what we got; a modern re-imagining of our beloved series that took a whole game to set up the motives of one of the greatest villains of all time. And now we have our true Belmonts, (presumably) behaving exactly as we have come to expect them to.

True Belmonts? Give me a break.  I'm glad we have you around to tell us what Castlevania is supposed to be.

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1594 on: May 30, 2012, 02:13:31 PM »
+3
It'll be interesting to see how they pull it off while maintaining a similar style of combat to Lords. I cannot really see how that combat would suit itself in situations with platforming. So yeah, curious in seeing that.

It can not only be done, but done very well. Try playing Bloodrayne Betrayal. Deep combat system, with plenty of old school platforming.

With absolutely no disrespect and complete sincerity, if what you really want is an absolute carbon copy of some of the old school games, just play the old games then, because honestly, I highly doubt anything else would be capable of pleasing you (I have certain hang-ups like that myself with some things). It's not like Cv doesn't have an enormous library of games before LoS existed. Even if you played through say 5 of the previous games per year, you'd still have plenty to alternate with between years.

Just offering an honest suggestion, please don't take this as an attack on your soul or anything.

Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline DingusBelmondo

• Mysterious Stranger
  • Vampire Hunter
  • "Is this your wife? What a lovely throat!"
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1595 on: May 30, 2012, 02:15:48 PM »
+2
True Belmonts? Give me a break.  I'm glad we have you around to tell us what Castlevania is supposed to be.

Your post serves no purpose to anyone unless you are capable of telling me what your opinion is. What would you prefer? Soma? Or are you waiting for a literal shot-by-shot remake of the original castlevania? That's never going to happen, and that's why we aren't taking your words seriously.
Go. Set Forth! Both your own life and hers are at stake.

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1596 on: May 30, 2012, 02:16:32 PM »
A reboot was necessary. The series was getting ridiculously crowded and...well more and more ridiculous. Seriously....a castle in an eclipse?...
Maybe AoS wasn't that good in terms of story, but a reboot wasn't necessary. We weren't even done with the timeline. There was still a possibility to add in a few games like the 1999 battle, or a direct sequel to LoI. Besides if they wanted to reboot the series they could have done it with Soma becoming Dracula. But no they had to take down everything that has been established by the old timeline. and now they take elements of the previous games to make it look like they're actually making a cv game, after all the bashing they did towards IGA and the old timeline. That's called hypocrisy.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #1597 on: May 30, 2012, 02:17:37 PM »
+5
Of course you can fill every single (free) space in the timeline with games and create as many subseries as you want, but the problem is Castlevania, as many people see it, is a series about Belmonts and Dracula (something that was lost in the latter years) and eventually there would neccesity to return to that plot. And when you'll try...forces of light help you, because you'll need it to put a new game about fight between Belmonts and Dracula in the Old Timeline without amassing retcons and hatred of "devoted" fans.
I don't know. IGA trying to shoehorn Dracula in every one of his games seemed to annoy a lot of people. Hell, there's even some that would've been content if Dracula was totally absent in PoR, as Brauner, himself, could've fit the role perfectly, even if Dracula never appeared. Heck, some would've preferred that. Of course, my proposed idea wouldn't diminish the importances of Belmont or Dracula in the series. They will always be the main forces pitted against each other, but you can veer off once in a while and explore another side of the established world, other heroes that are related to the Belmonts and other forces of evil that pay homage to their Dark Lord. The only people who'd be against that would be those who close their minds to it, and, LOL, those who "fear change" ;).

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1598 on: May 30, 2012, 02:24:02 PM »
I just wanna see Simo y Trevo Belmont battle their cousin/grandfather Dracula

oops i mean DRACUL

and, +1 for DragonSlayr81 & Odile Kuronuma, for making valid points about the "old, tired" timeline  ;)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #1599 on: May 30, 2012, 02:24:21 PM »
Maybe AoS wasn't that good in terms of story, but a reboot wasn't necessary. We weren't even done with the timeline. There was still a possibility to add in a few games like the 1999 battle, or a direct sequel to LoI. Besides if they wanted to reboot the series they could have done it with Soma becoming Dracula. But no they had to take down everything that has been established by the old timeline. and now they take elements of the previous games to make it look like they're actually making a cv game, after all the bashing they did towards IGA and the old timeline. That's called hypocrisy.
Actually, both sealing evil into an eclipse and preventing souls from reaching the afterlife both sound like plot points from future Square Enix JRPGs. They ARE that hokey. What's next, a world of light and a world of darkness, and a new Belmont that can pass between BOTH worlds using some sacred relic?!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:29:04 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #1600 on: May 30, 2012, 02:30:10 PM »
I don't know. IGA trying to shoehorn Dracula in every one of his games seemed to annoy a lot of people. Hell, there's even some that would've been content if Dracula was totally absent in PoR, as Brauner, himself, could've fit the role perfectly, even if Dracula never appeared. Heck, some would've preferred that. Of course, my proposed idea wouldn't diminish the importances of Belmont or Dracula in the series. They will always be the main forces pitted against each other, but you can veer off once in a while and explore another side of the established world, other heroes that are related to the Belmonts and other forces of evil that pay homage to their Dark Lord. The only people who'd be against that would be those who close their minds to it, and, LOL, those who "fear change" ;).

Change is welcomed when it doesn't ignore tradition and fundamentals that were already successful and beloved by fans.  I pray the soundtrack is improved and infused with the Castlevania goodness we all know and love because the music in LoS couldn't have been more generic.  Castlevania as a series, is certainly not known to have generic soundtracks.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1601 on: May 30, 2012, 02:32:14 PM »
+2
Change is welcomed when it doesn't ignore tradition and fundamentals that were already successful and beloved by fans.  I pray the soundtrack is improved and infused with the Castlevania goodness we all know and love because the music in LoS couldn't have been more generic.  Castlevania as a series, is certainly not known to have generic soundtracks.

I'd settle for area specific music, honestly.

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1602 on: May 30, 2012, 02:33:52 PM »
+1
Actually, both sealing evil into an eclipse and preventing souls from reaching the afterlife both sound like plot points from future Square Enix JRPGs. They ARE that hokey. What's next, a world of light and a world of darkness, and a new Belmont that can pass between BOTH worlds using some sacred relic?!
Watch out!You're giving ideas to Cox and MS  ;D.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:54:14 PM by Odile Kuronuma »

Offline Dominus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1603 on: May 30, 2012, 02:36:01 PM »
I'd say there's a pretty good chance they will. First of all, it would be absolutely ridiculous if they would just leave us hanging with the old storyline. We don't know why the Belmont family forgot about their own heritage and gave the whip to the Morris family and why they can't touch the whip until the 1999 battle which they haven't given us a answer to after six years.

They did it in DMC and Tomb Raider

Offline flyingchai

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #1604 on: May 30, 2012, 02:46:46 PM »
You're giving ideas to Cox and MS.
As did those of us who participated in the polls they arranged, the feedback of which I'm sure they considered in the new games.
This is a bad thing, why?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:16:49 PM by flyingchai »
http://flyingchai.deviantart.com - My art here is usually CV inspired
http://www.twitter.com/flyingchai01 - Tweeting more and more lately

Tags: .....? 

anything