Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848614 times)

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #1755 on: June 01, 2012, 02:19:05 AM »
There was a lot more timing and commitment involved in CV1. Attacks were faster, you were able to backdash to cancel the attack, and etc. in AoS and SoTN so a lot of CV1's distinctive combat elements were absent. Gotta be nitpicky about these things.

And in place of a backdash, LoS had a dodge. Not much difference. And while the Metroidvanias did have faster attacks than Cv1-4 (or slower depending on what weapon you used), it was still just the same animation each time you attacked. Some weapons had a second move, so I suppose you could say that you could sometime do two moves.

As far as saying that Cv1 required "a lot more timing and commitment", I'm gonna have to say that that is flat out ridiculous. Destroying your enemies in LoS required a lot more timing, as well as overall gameplay skill if you wanted to do it well and not get you ass kicked multiple times (like Ninja Gaiden for the NES compared to Ninja Gaiden for the XBOX). If all you had to do in LoS was hit the same button to do the same attack repeatedly, a-la Cv1, then your argument would be valid. But LoS, as with all action games, requires you really pay attention to what your enemy is doing, and react accordingly. Sometimes dodging, sometimes blocking, and sometimes doing a combo, but never just simply 'SLASH' it's dead after one or two hits.

From previous posts, I gather that you hate action games. Not everyone has the skill to play them, so I can understand why you don't like the path the series is on right now.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 02:31:23 AM by Vampire Killer »
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1756 on: June 01, 2012, 03:34:29 AM »
The new Nintendo Power hits newsstands June 5, same day as the MoF info. Guess I'll have to make a run to a bookstore before I go to work.

Sucks that the Simon cover is subscriber-only. I'll have to get this on eBay (but probably not before I buy a good copy of NP#2!  ;D)
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #1757 on: June 01, 2012, 03:54:16 AM »
Just a teaser. 4 days to wait! :)

Offline MelancholySpork12

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1758 on: June 01, 2012, 07:36:54 AM »
No gameplay?  :( Disappointing, but then, E3 isn't even a week away. I really hope this game lives up to my expectations!

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1759 on: June 01, 2012, 07:51:46 AM »
From the words that the teaser has, i can definitely say that Alucard is there.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline MKKhanzo

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1760 on: June 01, 2012, 07:58:43 AM »
And in place of a backdash, LoS had a dodge. Not much difference. And while the Metroidvanias did have faster attacks than Cv1-4 (or slower depending on what weapon you used), it was still just the same animation each time you attacked. Some weapons had a second move, so I suppose you could say that you could sometime do two moves.

As far as saying that Cv1 required "a lot more timing and commitment", I'm gonna have to say that that is flat out ridiculous. Destroying your enemies in LoS required a lot more timing, as well as overall gameplay skill if you wanted to do it well and not get you ass kicked multiple times (like Ninja Gaiden for the NES compared to Ninja Gaiden for the XBOX). If all you had to do in LoS was hit the same button to do the same attack repeatedly, a-la Cv1, then your argument would be valid. But LoS, as with all action games, requires you really pay attention to what your enemy is doing, and react accordingly. Sometimes dodging, sometimes blocking, and sometimes doing a combo, but never just simply 'SLASH' it's dead after one or two hits.

From previous posts, I gather that you hate action games. Not everyone has the skill to play them, so I can understand why you don't like the path the series is on right now.

Allof this is true... To some degree. I LoSI actually was playing the entire or majority of the game with the X (hold) XXXX combo (X on Xbox 360). I didnt EVER had the need of using another attack so all that combo "buying" was really a placeholder to me. There are attacks that I bought and never used even to this day. Just didnt needed them.

But its true, LoS is NOT a button masher friendly game. In part cause most of the enemies doesnt have hit stun.
I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #1761 on: June 01, 2012, 08:24:27 AM »
Oh don't worry...it's a tease. It'll be something completely different, though they'll swear they modeled it off of a popular past Castlevania game.

Your pessimism warms my heart. <3

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow -- Mirror of Fate teaser trailer

I get more and better teasing from my friends' burlesque shows. And "trailer"? No, just no. That's barely more than banner at the top of a website. Seriously, how does konami expect to widen their audience such paltry advertising practices?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 08:39:21 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania Mirror of Fate ( 3DS per request )
« Reply #1762 on: June 01, 2012, 09:01:45 AM »
Not really. Each weapon you could equip had a different effect, but aside from the occasional "release" style attack, it was just *whackwhackwhackwhackwhack*

The problem is if one is going to have close quarters weapon combat where the player character is "hitting" the enemies, there's very little possibilities for you to change "whackwhackwhackwhackwhack" into something else. There just is no innovation beyond what you're pointing out as a supposed negative. Hell, even a game including combos boils down to "whackwhackwhackwhackwhack" if you look at it at a base enough level, and all video games start to look like rehashes. You have to take the 'smaller' innovations and actually consider them part of the gameplay.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1763 on: June 01, 2012, 12:20:38 PM »
I get more and better teasing from my friends' burlesque shows. And "trailer"? No, just no. That's barely more than banner at the top of a website. Seriously, how does konami expect to widen their audience such paltry advertising practices?

It is a pretty sad teaser... and I'd be much less pleased if E3 weren't just around the corner promising more new information.

Offline BingleGod

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #1764 on: June 01, 2012, 01:18:40 PM »
Quote from: Vampire Killer

It's heart-warming to see that the tradition of LoS' supporters resorting to logically fallacious ad hominem attacks is being continued.

"lol! You just can't handle the epic breath of raw, fresh air that this game is bleeding!"

Give us a break.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1765 on: June 01, 2012, 01:53:53 PM »

wait, why are we talking about lords, i wasn't talking about it
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:56:52 PM by thernz »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #1766 on: June 01, 2012, 03:32:19 PM »
+2
The problem is if one is going to have close quarters weapon combat where the player character is "hitting" the enemies, there's very little possibilities for you to change "whackwhackwhackwhackwhack" into something else. There just is no innovation beyond what you're pointing out as a supposed negative. Hell, even a game including combos boils down to "whackwhackwhackwhackwhack" if you look at it at a base enough level, and all video games start to look like rehashes. You have to take the 'smaller' innovations and actually consider them part of the gameplay.

Key phrase right there.

Watch this video:
Castlevania SotN - Boss Fight - Galamoth

and compare it to this:
River City Ransom (NES)

I can tell you now, taken to its basest level, Symphony of the Night has some of the most repetitive, beat-em-up style combat out there.

But then why is it more fun? Because there's more to it. The enemies are more complex, the spacial awareness is more important, and even though Galamoth takes over 9001 hits to kill, it doesn't mean that there weren't enemies in the game that look 1 or 2 hits to defeat when you were trying to navigate the castle.

Nobody is trying to change *whackwhackwhackwhackwhack* into something else, but it is possible to improve it. Saying something isn't an innovation because you can boil it down to a previous iteration of the mechanic in order to prove a point is intellectually dishonest, and so is the assumption that changing *whackwhackwhackwhackwhack* into *whackthwack* dodge *whackhackrisingsmack* will all of a sudden make it any more of a beat-em-up than it already is.

It's perfectly fine if you don't LIKE the deeper combat, heck, millions of people play *clickclickclickclickclick* Diablo, but claiming that it is any more tedious than the combat in AoS or SotN is false.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 03:34:01 PM by e105beta »

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1767 on: June 01, 2012, 03:35:03 PM »
+3
It's heart-warming to see that the tradition of LoS' supporters resorting to logically fallacious ad hominem attacks is being continued.

"lol! You just can't handle the epic breath of raw, fresh air that this game is bleeding!"

Give us a break.

Actually I pointed out that the gameplay is different. Granted, I happen to think it's "better", but that's just me. Fact is, LoS is not a platformer like oldschool Cv's, but is instead an action game like DMC or Ninja Gaiden. Some people don't like action games. The people that I know, that don't like them have basically said that their too complicated to master, and that they therefore suck at them. We all have 'gaming' weaknesses. Personally, I'd love to be good at fighting games like Street Fighter, but unfortunately I'm just not fast enough.
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #1768 on: June 01, 2012, 03:35:55 PM »
Actually I pointed out that the gameplay is different. Granted, I happen to think it's "better", but that's just me. Fact is, LoS is not a platformer like oldschool Cv's, but is instead an action game like DMC or Ninja Gaiden. Some people don't like action games. The people that I know, that don't like them have basically said that their too complicated to master, and that they therefore suck at them. We all have 'gaming' weaknesses. Personally, I'd love to be good at fighting games like Street Fighter, but unfortunately I'm just not fast enough.

Dude, I don't know what you're talking about. I'm good at everything  8)

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1769 on: June 01, 2012, 03:36:59 PM »
shit!

how did this post end up in the wrong section?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 03:41:53 PM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Tags: .....?