Poll

When playing metroidvanias, what's your preferred play-style?

Offensive.
11 (68.8%)
Defensive.
0 (0%)
Mixed/Balanced.
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: January 30, 2017, 10:50:01 PM

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Clan de la Luz Project  (Read 22856 times)

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 01:57:22 AM »
Very Devil May Cry Ish.. love it.
I knew it, haha!  ;D Thank you. I have just made some tests (sprites) to decide what look suits him better. I like the long coat more (sprites 2 & 3). Now he looks more bad ass and I think the coat bears a resemblance to some Geralt's armor in the Witcher 3.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 02:00:27 AM by kaonstantine »

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 02:23:35 AM »
Dude I'm diggin the blue jeans sprite actually lol its just different enough to stand out better
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2017, 11:04:52 AM »
Dude I'm diggin the blue jeans sprite actually lol its just different enough to stand out better

Second. More colour variations help to bring out the character sprites.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2017, 01:24:47 PM »
I knew it, haha!  ;D Thank you. I have just made some tests (sprites) to decide what look suits him better. I like the long coat more (sprites 2 & 3). Now he looks more bad ass and I think the coat bears a resemblance to some Geralt's armor in the Witcher 3.

Yeah, I also like the blue jeans as it makes the rest of the outfit pop better. I am not a big fan of the black on black color scheme, even though it does work for your sprite. You should try the red , blue, and black color scheme but with a different colored shirt (not black) maybe white or another color..

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2017, 06:28:35 PM »

Second. More colour variations help to bring out the character sprites.

Hmmm I see.... Definitely the first one stands out more, but i don't know, the second one has a cyberpunk touch i like. The good thing is that the two versions are an improvement over the original outfit. Maybe I can use both versions in the game, and let the user choose between them, that means a lot of work though, since Nil is going to have many animations.

Yeah, I also like the blue jeans as it makes the rest of the outfit pop better. I am not a big fan of the black on black color scheme, even though it does work for your sprite. You should try the red , blue, and black color scheme but with a different colored shirt (not black) maybe white or another color..
Do you mean the first or the second sprite? It depends, but i love black on black schemes sometimes. I know i can have some issues with sprites too black and some backgrounds. I'll try another color schemes. Really appreciate the feedback, people.

BTW, I' have tested many fonts for the main menu and i still can't decide. Dou you have any idea what would be the best font style to use? I want to use pixel/bitmap fonts for this game.  Any suggestion is welcome.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 07:08:49 PM »
Font #5 has my vote  8)
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 08:02:06 PM »
Hmmm I see.... Definitely the first one stands out more, but i don't know, the second one has a cyberpunk touch i like. The good thing is that the two versions are an improvement over the original outfit. Maybe I can use both versions in the game, and let the user choose between them, that means a lot of work though, since Nil is going to have many animations.
Do you mean the first or the second sprite? It depends, but i love black on black schemes sometimes. I know i can have some issues with sprites too black and some backgrounds. I'll try another color schemes. Really appreciate the feedback, people.

BTW, I' have tested many fonts for the main menu and i still can't decide. Dou you have any idea what would be the best font style to use? I want to use pixel/bitmap fonts for this game.  Any suggestion is welcome.

The first sprite.

And I like #5

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 09:55:06 PM »
Font style 5 is also the best for me.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2017, 10:11:40 AM »
Number 8 is nice and fancy without being unreadable.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 09:22:41 PM »
I'd recommend making your own font.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »
I'd recommend making your own font.
I tried FontStruct the other day. It's a nice tool, but the result was... unsatisfactory. I want to try again, but there's no guarantee i can make a decent font (i have no experience and maybe also lack of the talent to build nice fonts). With many things i need to do, i'm leaving the creation of custom fonts as a possibility for the future.

Number 8 is nice and fancy without being unreadable.
Yes, i like it too! Also liking number 4 , but it's too small for the main menu. Seems the decision is between #5 and #8

Font style 5 is also the best for me.

And I like #5

Font #5 has my vote  8)
Thank you for your votes!

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 03:21:25 PM »
That is the most emo looking Castlevania protagonist I've ever seen.

I say that but oddly the all black pants works way better than the blue jeans. Blue jeans version looks like a high school nerd cosplaying on a low budget. White pants looks too fancy for the rest of the design.

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 06:55:15 PM »
That is the most emo looking Castlevania protagonist I've ever seen.
Lol! In fact, my initial intention was to give him a totally androgynous appearance, based on Visual Kei bands. But my guess is that most of the Castlevania community is not prepared for that (probably in another project i'll go 100% VK). So the result is this 'emo' look.  ;D

Blue jeans version has something that i find... not good. "cosplay on a low budget" could be the reason. I find the white pants and the black boots give him the appearance of a member of the Napoleon army. I'll be tring more variatons in a few days, for now i'm busy with the menu system, attributes organization and data saving.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 06:58:34 PM by kaonstantine »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 07:54:01 PM »
I'll be tring more variatons in a few days, for now i'm busy with the menu system, attributes organization and data saving.

You got your priorities right. Keep chugging along.

Oh, to answer the poll, aggressive. Mainly because the exploration titles usually have such slow enemies you can gib them before they even get a chance to hit you.

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2017, 02:33:21 AM »
Mainly because the exploration titles usually have such slow enemies you can gib them before they even get a chance to hit you.
That's precisely one feature i want to change. I'm trying to create faster and more agressive enemies (not too much, because i love exploration). I didn't expect the prefference for offensive play style were so high. :o

I managed to implement button binding in the game, however, i can't assure it will work fine for anyone. I don't know how well Game Maker support gamepads. People having an Xbox 360 compatible controller or PS3 compatible controller should'nt have problems. I suspect the button detection will be different for some other controllers. D-pad lovers are welcome (providing you have a supported controller  ;D)