Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406043 times)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
IGA's team did lazy things. They obviously got a decent budget with their first 3D attempt and what did they give us? Lament of Innocence, sure it felt more castlevania than Los...but it was also far more repetitive and lazy looking.
Konami isn't the one MAKING the games it's the team and Iga's team are to blame.

In my opinion of course.

Just a question correct me if I am wrong but Lament went into production around 2001 right I recall the interview on CV chronicles and it was released in 2003 right. 2001-2003

LoS started in 2008 yet was all most canceled, And was released in 2010. 2008-2010

Three years for each game to be made. While both did things right, LoS was better in most deparments than LoI and no it's not the HD graphics part.

So why did LoS have certain aspects that LoI lacked even more?
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Just a question correct me if I am wrong but Lament went into production around 2001 right I recall the interview on CV chronicles and it was released in 2003 right. 2001-2003

LoS started in 2008 yet was all most canceled, And was released in 2010. 2008-2010

Three years for each game to be made. While both did things right, LoS was better in most deparments than LoI and no it's not the HD graphics part.

The team working on LoS were better

just to drive my point home. To show you how lazy and uncreative Iga's team is..... they literally had ONE type of puzzle in Lament of innocence pretty much, a step on a button type of puzzle. Which was used in EVERY main area of the game.

compare that to all the creative ideas for puzzles and gameplay in all of LoS..... That shows you how much more work into the latter. ( not that I'm a huge puzzle fan, just sayin')
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:44:50 AM by CastleDan »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards

Perhaps MS is more adept than IGA's team ever was lets see if that can translate into 2d as well.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long"

That is an awesome quote where is that from?

(click to show/hide)

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Perhaps MS is more adept than IGA's team ever was lets see if that can translate into 2d as well.

That is an awesome quote where is that from?

They already seem more adept considering there's 4 playable characters and apparently the castle looks different for each of them, and there's swinging platforming sections, along with normal platforming, and an actual fighting system to boot.

Lol

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards

just to drive my point home. To show you how lazy and uncreative Iga's team is..... they literally had ONE type of puzzle in Lament of innocence pretty much, a step on a button type of puzzle. Which was used in EVERY main area of the game.

compare that to all the creative ideas for puzzles and gameplay in all of LoS..... That shows you how much more work into the latter. ( not that I'm a huge puzzle fan, just sayin')
I'm probably the only one, but even in LoI, I thought one puzzle was too much. I just never been the type to see "puzzles" as being essential to the CV formula. To the Legend of Zelda formula, sure, but CV, no.

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I'm probably the only one, but even in LoI, I thought one puzzle was too much. I just never been the time to see "puzzles" as being essential to the CV formula. To the Legend of Zelda formula, sure, but CV, no.

no no I agree, I don't care for puzzles either I'm just saying it was very very lazy. Not only was it a lazy puzzle but it was a lazy puzzle used in each location because apparently they can't be a bit more creative than that.
Let's not get started about the lack of any sort of platforming for the most part.

For as much as people like to hate on LOS for it's shimmying type platforming moments and such, at least they did things that consisted more than walking into a box room kill enemies, walk into another box room that looks the same kill enemies.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
I'm probably the only one, but even in LoI, I thought one puzzle was too much. I just never been the type to see "puzzles" as being essential to the CV formula. To the Legend of Zelda formula, sure, but CV, no.

I see your point. CV=action, Zelda= puzzles that is where I get I puzzlemania needs out of me. Yet at the same time all the things that an individual can do with a whip I think should be.Why waste the versatility of the whip?
(click to show/hide)

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I see your point. CV=action, Zelda= puzzles that is where I get I puzzlemania needs out of me. Yet at the same time all the things that an individual can do with a whip I think should be.Why waste the versatility of the whip?

That.

The whip in LOS wasn't just a weapon it was a damn tool.
I will say though I like how the IGA team handled the action aspects of the whip in Loi...it felt like a real whip and how you CRACKED it. I kinda wish LOS followed suit, it didn't quite feel whip like to me.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Ok, Cox confirmed that this is just the end of MS Cv's, not neccesarily of the new series. I'm relieved!

Everything comes full circle

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards

Such as?

Atmospherically, I personally think LoI did better.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Ok, Cox confirmed that this is just the end of MS Cv's, not neccesarily of the new series. I'm relieved!

I wanted to see MS take on Richter, but Trevor and Simon will do.
(click to show/hide)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
I might get shot for this, but, how about Platinum Games? Hideki Kamiya did say his favorite game is the original Castlevania..

I wouldn't shoot you, but I wouldn't be looking forward to it if it happens. Platinum seems to have the ability to create one type of action game, and IMO, that type doesn't capture the Castlevania spirit at all.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Or, this could be it for the this series and they could decide to reboot it yet again. It sound strange, but stranger things HAVE happened in the recent years. Maybe we'll get another re-imagning of the CV series, unrelated to the old canon and LoS canon, with a new Dracula, and new Belmonts.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Based on the official Castlevania LoS2's website that was opened today (http://www.konami-castlevania.com/), and its artwork and synopsis pages, I have to wonder if a chunk of the game design in LoS2 is based on SotN. We see a big picture of a wolf head, a focus on bats by a tree--are we talking Alucard and/or Gabeula transformations? "The vampire lord must reacquire his old powers – and only his castle holds the key." Sounds like they'll start you back at zero close to the beginning and you're searching a castle for ability upgrades...

The site seems to have at least one pic of in-game action in the Mercury Steam behind-the-scenes photos. Looks like maybe a skeleton with a shield on its back holding a long battle axe perhaps? HUD and camera and all look very similar to LoS1. There's also one art piece in that same section...something like Dracula's second form from CVIII, but with legs and a meat hook through it. There's some other artwork there, but I don't know if it's all related to LoS2.

As an aside, what if Sonia Belmont is one of the characters in MoF? That'd be surreal.

I read this, too, but don't quite understand. Basically, MS is leaving Castlevania after LoS2/MoF. What then? Is it: Konami has to decide whether to continue the Lords of Shadow style or go in a different direction? Or is it that they just need a new studio to continue LoS?

Or, this could be it for the this series and they could decide to reboot it yet again. It sound strange, but stranger things HAVE happened in the recent years. Maybe we'll get another re-imagning of the CV series, unrelated to the old canon and LoS canon, with a new Dracula, and new Belmonts.

Cox did say LoS2 would be a successful conclusion to the series on his Twitter, or something to that effect. I would be all for another Reboot, one closer to the series' roots, with a little less combo-y super powers, and more emphasis on action-platforming.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:25:36 PM by RichterB »

anything