Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406213 times)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Though I doubt we'll be as powerful in the game as that trailer suggests. It's probably only a prologue, showing Dracula at his most powerful. The Dracula we'll be playing as will be seriously weakened and older. Though maybe towards the end of the game we'll be ripping Titans apart like in the trailer!
I'd actually love it if there weren't any Titans. The one seen in the trailer seemed more like a steampunk-ish crude robot than a Titan. I was hoping the Titans, in LoS, were the last few remnants of the ancient times, and since then, they're gone forever. Thinknig the same about the goblins and trolls(which are said to be becoming extinct). 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 09:31:01 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Powerful or no, I don't see Dracula doing much platforming other than jumping. He just doesn't seem like a balance beam kind of guy.

I'd actually love it if there weren't any Titans. The one seen in the trailer seemed more like a steampunk-ish crude robot than a Titan. I was hoping the Titans, in LoS, were the last few remnants of the ancient times, and since then, they're gone forever. Thinknig the same about the goblins and trolls(which are said to be becoming extinct).

I feel like of all the monsters that were said to be going extinct in LoS it was said for a reason. It further enforces my belief that the dark fairtytale feel of LoS was intentional. Again, it was pre-Dracula story, not a post Dracula story.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 09:33:04 PM by e105beta »

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Powerful or no, I don't see Dracula doing much platforming other than jumping. He just doesn't seem like a balance beam kind of guy.

I feel like of all the monsters that were said to be going extinct in LoS it was said for a reason. It further enforces my belief that the dark fairtytale feel of LoS was intentional. Again, it was pre-Dracula story, not a post Dracula story.
Seeing THIS Gabriel, the badass in the trailer, trying to balance on a wooden beam... I just can't picture it. Human Gabriel, sure, but this badass, teetering as he walks slowly, that would be a joke, even if he's "weakned Dracula".

And yeah, when you put it that way, it makes perfect sense regarding LoS and the "creatures of lore"/Dark Fairy Tale thing. It's basically the end of the age of legends. Come Dracula, it's a new age. Hopefully a darker age. I'm still wondering if what we face will be composed majority of human enemies. I CAN see then bring back nearly all armor-type enemies, but this time as human knights. And also see, as far as the "new threat" is concerned, facing what ever followers and monsters that "threat" has under it's control.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
I had to rewatch LoS's epilogue again with new insights after watching LoS2's teaser.  i guess even in his weakened state, Dracula does have his teleport powers. 

also had to note that when Gabe said "Eu Sunt Dracul", Zobek said that he once was, but now, ha.  makes the subtitle "The Dragon Returns" all the more fitting if the game takes off after this scene.  too bad that isn't actually part of the name.  or maybe it is part of the name, just not on the logo?  an alternate name?

LoS Ending:
Castlevania Lords of Shadow Ending Dracula 1080P (True Ending)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Seeing THIS Gabriel, the badass in the trailer, trying to balance on a wooden beam... I just can't picture it. Human Gabriel, sure, but this badass, teetering as he walks slowly, that would be a joke, even if he's "weakned Dracula".

That's probably the one issue I have with playing Dracula. They've set himself up as such a badass, I can't see myself doing anything as Dracula that isn't badass. I only worry that it'll get too "dark and edgy" because of it.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
If there is a mass battle like the one in the trailer, it might be visually cool if there is only one of those. If it becomes a habit, they're once again getting derailed with arena-style combat. I wouldn't want to rip and tear through hordes of enemies - again. I didn't care much for the majority of LoS's combat (which is why them "dropping it as it is" on MoF doesn't appeal to me).

This Dracula might be a hands-on kind of guy, but being a nigh-invincible character isn't a solid foundation for gameplay (that's probably why Superman games must be a pain for the designers who want to make it both loyal to Superman mythos, but also a fulfilling game experience) nor is it particularly interesting in the long run. I want to be able to avoid repetitive and unnecessary confrontations, kind of like how I don't stop to whip up every skeleton or armor or Mini Slimer all the time.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:03:20 AM by A-Yty »

Offline Nox_A15

• CastleKeeper
  • Hunter in Training
    • CastleKeeper's Chronicles - The World of Castlevania
    • Awards
I still don't want to look at this chapter list, but I'm wondering how MercurySteam is going to connect different time periods in the game. We know for sure they'll do it in Mirror of Fate, with castle being the same building through the ages. But here it looks like the game will begin in some medieval-themed times (LoS2 trailer) and probably end in modern times (after LoS epilogue). Looking at how Throne Room is a part of a cathedral makes me to wonder how the rest of the castle ended up? And where will the action take us from there? To the Satan's Castle?

I think Dracula will be depicted as villain in the beginning just to become more like a "dark hero" at the end - stopping Satan with Zobek's/Death help (hard to imagine... I sense some twist here) and finish his existence on Earth and his torment.

There are so many elements MS prepared for themselves to build interesting story - Gabriel's descendants, Gabriel himself as his "white side" in heaven (I know - that part of LoS epilogue is unclear; just my shot in the dark), Alucard showing up (?)... He may end up fighting with both sides to stop Satan. It would be one hell (no pun intended ;)) of a finale.
“No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
Like some other people here, I'm going to be disturbed if Gabriel has to go through some of the more drudging work from LoS1 after having become Dracula. Actually platforming itself might even be a little bit of an issue--at least what to do if the player fails. I mean, Dracula being killed by a simple slip and fall in his own castle? :P They can probably find some way to do it "right" from my perspective (maybe rather than having him die instantly if he falls into a pit and take you back to the jump checkpoint style, just have him teleport out at the last second and punish the player in health for doing it) but I'm unsure if they will.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
They can probably find some way to do it "right" from my perspective (maybe rather than having him die instantly if he falls into a pit and take you back to the jump checkpoint style, just have him teleport out at the last second and punish the player in health for doing it) but I'm unsure if they will.

But even if they did that and you jumped to a pit enough time to drain all your health..Dracul(a) would have died from falling too many times :P
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:01:58 AM by A-Yty »

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
If there is a mass battle like the one in the trailer, it might be visually cool if there is only one of those. If it becomes a habit, they're once again getting derailed with arena-style combat. I wouldn't want to rip and tear through hordes of enemies - again. I didn't care much for the majority of LoS's combat (which is why them "dropping it as it is" on MoF doesn't appeal to me).
I agree. I hate Musou type of games, but if they'll make a battle like this playable, make them not frequent.

Also, you guys actually gave me hope about the platforming in LoS2 being better than the first one. Seeing Dracula wall shimmerying or balancing in planks would be TERRIBLE RIDICULOUS. The platforming needs to be more like Alice Madness or whatever other true 3D platformer out there. Leave GoW/Ninja Gaide influences only on the combat, if you need.

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Seeing Dracula wall shimmerying or balancing in planks would be TERRIBLE RIDICULOUS. The platforming needs to be more like Alice Madness or whatever other true 3D platformer out there. Leave GoW/Ninja Gaide influences only on the combat, if you need.
Considering the taunts Laura gave Gabriel about how much simpler getting around the castle was if he was a vampire, I'm sure the developers are very aware of this.  They'll probably have a couple areas that look like they could be platformed on just to give you that "thank God I don't have to do this in order to get there" feeling.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Yeah I don't see Dracula wall shimmying in LOS2 considering he still has the power of teleportation even at his weakened state. And im sure Mercurysteam are aware of it considering Laura lampshaded it in the game.

Also, it seems like the mystery white haired guy is slowly developing as a meme around the internet. lol

Gotta get my bucket of crow ready for Tuesday, it's gonna be Thanksgiving in June.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
It's most likely gonna be a double jump with an optional triple teleport-jump.
And pits?  It'll probably work the same way as Batman: Arkham Asylum/City in that he'll just 'teleport'/etc. at the last moment, and there won't be actual death, just him losing a small bit of magic/health in order to get to the spot he was.

Sort of like when Link in the OoT/TP/SS games falls into a pit.  Yeah there's some screaming but he makes it back with only but a scratch.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
i bet they'll have little spots on the screen that glimmer.  when you press the R2 button, Dracula will teleport there, instead of latching onto it with his whip.

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
You just know they are gonna allow us to have a wolf transformation! The concept art just is teasing the crap out of that.
I do wonder if they will have bat and mist too.

I really am curious if they will make this almost like a symphony of the night/classicvania mix like they are implying with Mirror of fate..
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:27:10 PM by CastleDan »

anything