Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406634 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
<)   )~  the first los2 trailer had me feeling worried
 /    \

\(·_·)
 (   (>   now this preview has me feeling excited
 /   \

(·_·)
<)   )>   i can't wait for los2 to come out now
 /    \

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
I have the scans. I hope it's allowed to share them. The pass is dracul.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lprlh2
Thank you so much dude!

EDIT: Just finished reading, sounds just like LoS, but the promise of the game being completely open world excites me.

I really hope someone ports this to WiiU, I don't plan on picking up a new 360 or PS3 anytime soon.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:26:17 AM by OSM »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)

Now I wonder though if I should get the 360 or the PC version when its released?

I have a new TV that would do the game justice now, but I'd really love to use my gaming pc on it too... and it would probably give better framerate and the like.

There's also just no replacing that "sitting on the couch in front of the TV playing a console" feeling...
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
 There's also the HDMI cable + wireless control + Steam Big Picture Mode which will give you the same result without shitty resolution/framerate.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
<)   )~  the first los2 trailer had me feeling worried
 /    \

\(·_·)
 (   (>   now this preview has me feeling excited
 /   \

(·_·)
<)   )>   i can't wait for los2 to come out now
 /    \
Just hope with the improved gameplay, they don't pussy out when working Dracula's "strength" into the mix. I WANT enemies to feel less heavy and barrels/boxes should break apart with ONE HIT. This is the fuckin BEAST who damages you like crazy in MoF, and those guys are Belmonts, average "mere mortals" like Joe Schmoe "Cleric Knight #2" should pale in comparison.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
I agree with the criticism with how actually dishing out hits felt in LoS, needs to feel like a bigger impact so I get the impression I'm doing damage to them. I think MoF handled that issue way better, but since we're Drac this time around the hits need to feel almost devastating.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I just hope they fix the hitboxes. In LOS1 often times I'd get hit before the enemy even touches me, or sometimes I couldn't tell if I was hitting the enemy or not. It seems that they fixed that in MoF (not too sure, haven't played it yet) but if they fix it here then combat will be no problem for me.

Reading the OXM article, everything sounds like a step up from both games BUT I have one concern. The way to gather blood is the same way you do in LOS1, clicking the left and right sticks. Now that it's been confirmed that the camera is free to control, if the camera is placed on the right stick, I feel that %95 of the time im gonna end up flicking the camera while getting blood then get attacked from the other side during a heated battle. I know there's no perfect camera angle for these types of games but I hope it's not too messy cause it can make or break a game for some people, me included.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
There's also the HDMI cable + wireless control + Steam Big Picture Mode which will give you the same result without shitty resolution/framerate.

Full agreement here. If I get LoS2, its PC all the way.

I don't use Big Picture mode (still too glitchy for me), but the same effect is gotten. I buy all console releases for PC if available, no questions asked.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Cox and MS know how to make the games sound good. I'm still not believing what I hear from the article until the game's in my hands though.

The way the magazine described the game made it sound not really non-linear, but much like the first LoS with warp points instead of choosing stuff from the book menu. Not really crazy about the Mastery system; it seems like it won't encourage use of other moves so as much as force it, which... isn't really the same as making a move actually useful. Glad to hear Cox say the hand-holding and QTEs will be dialed back, but again, it's Cox and I'll believe it when I see it.

All that said, the game sounds fun. I hope I'll have a good PC by the time it's out.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
I'm excited because it being non-linear is confirmed. Now just put Alucard playable there with a sword and all his jazz and I'm fully in.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Now just put Alucard playable there with a sword and all his jazz and I'm fully in.

We can always dream, right?  ;)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
I would. But my PC and my TV are on different floors.
I'd need one HELL of a long HDMI cable
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
So far the combat seems like it ripped straight from LoS1, just applied with a different skin. The only new features are this mind control ability and turning into mist. Not that this is a bad thing but I wonder if LoS2 is really going to be much different from the first one aside from superficial changes.   

Also, new stuff:

"You said the camera was the hardest thing to get right in LoS2. Why was it so essential?"

Enric Alvarez - It's not the camera itself - it's what that change entails. You have to start from scratch with the game. You can no longer force the player to look at a vista you worked really hard on. A free camera can be a problem. With this kind of game, it's not particularly comfortable to handle the camera while you're playing. So we have to find a compromise for people who are good enough to take full control of the camera while fighting, and those who don't want to touch the camera because all their attention is focused on the enemy. There's a law in third-person action games - the further you put the camera from the action, the more problems you have. It's exponential, because the camera starts colliding with everything. You need to be conscious of the funny stuff it gets up to. But we've managed to make a camera that is seamless between using it and not using it.

Dave Cox - I never use the camera. I let it do what it wants, which suits me fine.

EA - It's fantastic. It's one of the best cameras in an action third-person game.

"There's an expectation that sequels will be bigger. Are you regretting how very long the first game was?"

DC - Not at all. Lords of Shadow 2 will be bigger than the first game. But not just in terms of size. The scale of its levels are more epic, the combat system is hugely expanded and adaptable to different playing styles, and it's city is a more open experience that we want people to immerse themselves in. Everything about the game is bigger, but it has to be - we have a big story to tell.

"Will you have mini-bosses who restore their health if you miss a quick-time event, and long boss fights without mid-battle checkpoints? Or has success made you less evil?"

DC - We're more evil, if anything! The whole QTE thing has been cut back, with the Titan fights now far more expansive, they involve full control by the player as opposed to times button presses. We've gone for a far greater level of control during every part of the game now, but Gabriel can refuel by draining those around him of their blood - the benefit being a vampire. We feel the gameplay is more balanced than in the last game, and as a result makes for a more fluid and natural challenge.

"You say there are two worlds: City and Castle. How does that split work as you play through?

DC - The city is the main setting for the game, but we can't really go into too much detail about it at present. The city is a living entity, but there's a look and feel to it that harks back to the Gothic realm of the past.

"The original Lords of Shadow was a bit po-faced. Patrick Stewart sounded like he was going to burst into tears between chapters. In the sequel we've already seen that ridiculous nuke blast that was more Dragon Ball Z than Dracula. Are you letting your playful side express itself?

DC - It's a fine line, comedy. Games can be po-faced, but there is nothing worse than a game that tries to be funny, but comes across as wearing. It's like being trapped in the corner at a party by someone who thinks they're hilarious. We knew the part you're talking about was over the top, but it also sells the scale of the conflict - that's not to say the decision to keep it in all its OTT-ness wasn't deliberate!

"How do you resist the urge to make jokes about a character names Trevor?

DC - We would never diss a Trevor. A Ralph, maybe, but never a Trevor.     
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:52:21 AM by Nagumo »

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
I don't get it. What's funny about the name Trevor?

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
I don't get it. What's funny about the name Trevor?
Your guess is as good as mine.

The jokes in those scans by the editor were facepalm worthy too.