Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406221 times)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Well I actually think they'd benefit from being, say, a launch game for next gen, avoiding the Curse of Darkness syndrome.

Everything comes full circle

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards

Offline somasworld

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
i hope we will ever see a new Castlevania game on the next gen consoles :/

if we ever get a new castlevania game after LOS-Saga???

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards

(Until release, that is... I just get nostalgic of that LoS mega thread)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:43:20 AM by Ahasverus »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)

I dont. way too much arguing.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
But it was a behemot, it's like everyone HAD to voice their minds. I like that!

curse was just a bad game
Released at the worst possible time. Your game won¿t have a single headline when the hot news is "next generation starts next week"

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

I just revisited that thread a few days ago, what a grand old time that was from beginning to end.

This thread seems tame in comparison.......for now. :P

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Just wait till the next Castlevania reimagining after the LoS series. We'll have another thread like that one sure enough.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
As for "remake," I'll be satisfyed with Castlevania ReBirth 2: Belmont's Revenge. However, if they decide to make it a Wii-U exclusive then I'll be disappointed, because then I'll have no choice but to buy a Wii-U.

Offline Weiss Belmont

• The Power of Legend
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Well I actually think they'd benefit from being, say, a launch game for next gen, avoiding the Curse of Darkness syndrome.

Could you elaborate? I'm not being a smartass or anything I've just never heard that term.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Could you elaborate? I'm not being a smartass or anything I've just never heard that term.
Of course no problem.
As you may know, Curse of Darkness isn't only a 3D Castlevania and back in the day (and even now) that was already cause of apathy. It was a hard sell, as it was a RPG inspired by DMC and Pokemon with some hardcore systems, very japanease and... not that good looking. The game is a little bland and it was evident back in the day too. Those looong empty corridors can't be disguised very well.
Not to mention that it was the sequel to a 15 years old game (Dracula's Curse).

The thing is, if released another date, the game could have sold a little easier, but of course, it was delayed to the worst possible launch window ever: September 27 2005.
The first HD console, the Xbox 360 would had been out 3 weeks after.

To put it simply, not only it was ignored by the press and general public, people were at the time when they last gen is SO last gen (That period tends to end some months after, as GoW2 proved it) it's untouchable. Also, people were saving money for the next big thing. And so, it was a complete and absolute critical and sales flop. Not Judgment levels, but flop anyway.

Were the game released a little earlier, or some time later, story could had been different but as you can see, there's simply no way of beating a new console generation launch on its ground.

And that's what i fear could happen to LoS. Don't forget that GTAV comes in september so September is out of the question. It would leave them October and THAT'S IT. Unless they want it delayed 'til the next year. Whch to be honest is not a bad idea.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 08:42:09 PM by Ahasverus »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards

@CastlevaniaLOS at the beginning of CLOS2 will there be a summary of previous events for people who couldn't play the other game(s)? #noDS3D
@Criz_Zone - yes!

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? My head says, uh oh....that recap might be long.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)

@CastlevaniaLOS at the beginning of CLOS2 will there be a summary of previous events for people who couldn't play the other game(s)? #noDS3D
@Criz_Zone - yes!

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? My head says, uh oh....that recap might be long.
It should be a rule that intros should be no more than 5 minutes long(that's if there's some story/background info to relay). And I mean in ALL games, even RPGs. They should let you enter control of your character as soon as possible to the player could get a good feel of the gameplay, because, esepcially in story heavy games(RPGs in particular), there is ALWAYS time for story exposition and character interaction, but let the player get the feel first of what they are going to be dealing with, THEN load on some more cutscenes after that. There's been some games I've played where the intro story and dialog drags on and it seems like you don't actually get to START playing the game until a good 30 minutes in. That's inexcusable. That, and games shouldn't "become good" late in the game. That's a problem I had with some games, Final Fantasy XIII included. People ask, "When does it get good?" and others replay, "Wait until you get into a later chapter near the end of the game!". Really? The rule should be, the game should be GOOD from square one! If it takes that long to get good or open up, the game's CRAP! C'mon developers, you don't even fuckin TRY anymore!(And I mean YOU Square Enix).

Anyways, yeah, the intro should be bare basics and to the point.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:25:35 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline Weiss Belmont

• The Power of Legend
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards

As you may know, Curse of Darkness isn't only a 3D Castlevania and back in the day (and even now) that was already cause of apathy. It was a hard sell, as it was a RPG inspired by DMC and Pokemon with some hardcore systems, very japanease and... not that good looking. The game is a little bland and it was evident back in the day too. Those looong empty corridors can't be disguised very well.

Those are all exceedingly good points.  :-\ I personally enjoyed the game but yeah, the "Gotta Catch Em All" style gameplay nearly turned me off. I understand the Innocent Devils system kind of built on SotN's familiars but at least with SotN Alucard was pure beastmode without them. But goodness Hector depended on them almost to the extreme. Like a certain Pokemon Master.

Not to mention that it was the sequel to a 15 years old game (Dracula's Curse).

Now THAT is a very good point I never thought about. Dracula's Curse is my second favorite game in the series (it was also the first Castlevania I ever played) so I was totally stoked about Curse of Darkness picking up not long after that game. But your post certainly puts it in perspective. Unless a gamer has been with the series since the NES they wouldn't have much cause to care about Curse of Darkness let alone buy it. It would have made far, far more sense to make a sequel to Lament of Innocence.

To put it simply, not only it was ignored by the press and general public, people were at the time when they last gen is SO last gen (That period tends to end some months after, as GoW2 proved it) it's untouchable. Also, people were saving money for the next big thing. And so, it was a complete and absolute critical and sales flop. Not Judgment levels, but flop anyway.

Lol damn! THAT'S the Curse of Darkness.

And that's what i fear could happen to LoS. Don't forget that GTAV comes in september so September is out of the question. It would leave them October and THAT'S IT. Unless they want it delayed 'til the next year. Whch to be honest is not a bad idea.

Hmm, you make a lot of good points. Bad part about that though is Arkham Origins comes out in October as well. And November sees the release of Watch Dogs and another gotdamn CoD. Unless they somehow ship this thing in August they're kind of screwed.