Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406245 times)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
That's so ehh why do that? I remember Dante in  dmc1 got impaled by a sword and pulling it out afterward like nothing.

Or in DMC3 where he was stabbed several times by regular mooks in the intro, shot in the head by Lady, impaled by Vergil twice and he is totally fine in either a few seconds or a couple minutes.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Or in DMC3 where he was stabbed several times by regular mooks in the intro, shot in the head by Lady, impaled by Vergil twice and he is totally fine in either a few seconds or a couple minutes.

True,  at least Ryu does not suffer from this he died by the black samurai in the xbox ninja gaiden right(IIRC) ?
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
I just like how the series liked to make fun of itself here & there. It harkens back to the campiness of CV1. The LoS series just makes random references to other series (mario bros in MoF, Zelda). Yeah that's cute, but I just prefer the "old canon's" quirky version of humor to MercurySteam's. Guess it's just a Japanese thing lol

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
I just like how the series liked to make fun of itself here & there. It harkens back to the campiness of CV1. The LoS series just makes random references to other series (mario bros in MoF, Zelda). Yeah that's cute, but I just prefer the "old canon's" quirky version of humor to MercurySteam's. Guess it's just a Japanese thing lol

Both are good and bad. I like both for the most part. But I remember two things from los the small troll waving it's hand to you like "you know what forget you, I'm out of here" and the time the necromancer took the combat cross I was like ahh     >:( but it was funny as well.
(click to show/hide)

Offline chainsawmidget

• that guy
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards

And I may be the only one that enjoyed fighting Dracula with creampies or paper airplanes to the face. Not everything has to be SUPER SERIOUS & REALISTICALLY GRITTY all the time; at least the old canon programmers had a sense of humor & had fun with what they were working with.

However I'm not too fond of MS' injections of dated internet jokes & Monty Python references as their version of humor, but that's just me.
Agreed.  I think having weird elements but playing them completely straight ads to the off kilter quirkiness of the game.  It makes it feel more like the bad movies of old.  Sure their monster might have been a bunch of carpet samples glued together, but everybody was going to act like it was still the most deadly thing ever. 

Also, What the series needs is the ROBOT MONSTER as a boss fight. 

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
original Canon Dracula was just as much of a chew toy. Anyone who wandered into the castle could beat him.

At least LoS gives justification through him being almost totally depowered (presumably)from his centuries long slumber.
LOL, though if we compare both canons, maybe OG canon characters WERE more powerful by default? I mean, where as people in the LoS canon take time to actually kill minor enemies, hell, even destroy crates and barrels, Original Canon Simon, Trevor, hell, even Alucard, rip through them like a hot knife through butter. MoF Trevor has trouble with skeletons and zombies, while OG Trevor's shakes them off as "monsters any toddler vampire hunter could slay". Even if Dracula does nothing but sit in that big old throne room of his, the fact that he even lasts against these heroes who can take enemies out in a few hits(while their LoS counterparts struggle in long battles with them) makes him, IMO, pretty badass. I mean, you'd never see OG Dracula die by gunfire or fall off a cliff to his doom. And it is ALWAYS the best of the best who wander into his castle to confront him. Earth's mightiest heroes, who are badass in their own accord! It's not like you play as "Villager #2" or if "Common Stable Boy" has a chance against Dracula. The Belmonts were always the top of their game, as were Alucard, and then other vampire hunters/magical humans second.

Also calling the original a "chew toy" doesn't help in Gabula's defense. That's like saying, "You pee'd your pants" and you retorting, "Well, you shat yours!". In the end, you just got two people who relieved themselves in their pants. I was hoping(I know it's too much) that MS would've taken the higher route and not resort to that. Again, maybe it's that whole, "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me!" thing.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:04:54 AM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
LOL, though if we compare both canons, maybe OG canon characters WERE more powerful by default? I mean, where as people in the LoS canon take time to actually kill minor enemies, hell, even destroy crates and barrels, Original Canon Simon, Trevor, hell, even Alucard, rip through them like a hot knife through butter. MoF Trevor has trouble with skeletons and zombies, while OG Trevor's shakes them off as "monsters any toddler vampire hunter could slay". Even if Dracula does nothing but sit in that big old throne room of his, the fact that he even lasts against these heroes who can take enemies out in a few hits(while their LoS counterparts struggle in long battles with them) makes him, IMO, pretty badass.
That's the worst argument ever. "my villain was not weak, it was the heroes that were stronger goddamit!"
That doesn't stop him from being terrible villain in the sense that it had no sense of impact/presence/danger with him.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
At least, LoS may be seen as more "realistic". Ever tried to destroy a crate with a whip?  ;D (j/k)

Offline jmodlin210

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Can't see the Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 scans from the latest Hobby Consolas magazine and can you please send the scans for Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 from the latest Hobby Consolas Magazine that i want to see the pictures?

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
At least, LoS may be seen as more "realistic". Ever tried to destroy a crate with a whip?  ;D (j/k)
If I wanted realism, I'd go out and try to bust open a crate myself! ;D Realism be damned. Save it for the cynics who want to purge fantasy and imagination from this world.

That's the worst argument ever. "my villain was not weak, it was the heroes that were stronger goddamit!"
That doesn't stop him from being terrible villain in the sense that it had no sense of impact/presence/danger with him.
It's all perception. Right now, it's my bias versus YOUR bias.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:32:15 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
I  still stand by what I said and say that old cannon Dracula is  a pansy  ;)   :P

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
@Dragonslayr81, I got the perfect solution to all your problems:

1: Get the PC version

2: Enable Invulnerability

3: Enable infinite magic & blood

4: Enable all skills unlocked

5:? ? ?

6:Profit

There problem solved, now you have the Incredible Hulk in Vampire form.  :)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:51:57 PM by Kingshango »

Offline Lilgigs

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)

Seriously? They expect this to sell well on ps3/xbox360 in 2014? Didn't they learn their lesson with CoD?

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards

;D   well it  happens 

Seriously? They expect this to sell well on ps3/xbox360 in 2014? Didn't they learn their lesson with CoD?

Survey says...... maybe.....not?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:10:43 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)

@CastlevaniaLOS will you be able to play as any Belmont or Alucard? Sorry if this has been asked before!
@COrtanez - No. Dracula is the only playable character. Just like CVLOS.

Oh ok.... unless he's lying.

anything