Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406221 times)

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
I'm thinking that the mind of Konami is like the mind of a woman, you'll never figure what's on their mind......so that's why we will never understand why they wasted resources on Pachislot machines.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
As far as I know, Japan is one the places where arcades are still very popular. So if you look at this when taking into account the Japanese market, it was a very good decesion and makes a lot of sense.

The money was hardly "wasted" because the Pachislots were a great success since the first one spawned two sequels. Arguably, they are better decision from a business standpoint than making a remake of CV3. Besides, if Konami had decided not to invest in the Pachislots, we wouldn't automatically have gotten a different CV project or a bigger budget for LoS or something like that. It was either this or nothing at all. 

Honestly, the Pachislots seem to be one of the more interesting games you can find in Japanese gamecenters, so please show a little appreciation you spoiled brats.  >:(         
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:54:51 AM by Nagumo »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
I love Japanese arcades, although I am more of a UFO catcher person whenever I go there. hehehe.
All those super cute stuffed toys..... ♥

I personally want that pachislot mobile app that was released in Japan.
Slot machines and Castlevania. ♥

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Hmmm, yes I want to go to one too someday!

I was thinking of getting the app as well. No idea how I would go about doing that, though. 

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
As far as I know, Japan is one the places where arcades are still very popular. So if you look at this when taking into account the Japanese market, it was a very good decesion and makes a lot of sense.

The money was hardly "wasted" because the Pachislots were a great success since the first one spawned two sequels. Arguably, they are better decision from a business standpoint than making a remake of CV3. Besides, if Konami had decided not to invest in the Pachislots, we wouldn't automatically have gotten a different CV project or a bigger budget for LoS or something like that. It was either this or nothing at all. 

Honestly, the Pachislots seem to be one of the more interesting games you can find in Japanese gamecenters, so please show a little appreciation you spoiled brats.  >:(         
Nah, I don't buy this crap. Pachislots are simply gamble games. My mom would love playing, since she likes these type of games, but me? Eehh...

It's shit. At least I got some remixes and the visuals were kinda cool.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Nah, I don't buy this crap. Pachislots are simply gamble games. My mom would love playing, since she likes these type of games, but me? Eehh...

It's shit. At least I got some remixes and the visuals were kinda cool.

They may be gambling machines, but they're not half-assed. Far from it, actually. If you were talking about CV:The Medal I would have understood, but for a gambling machine it's pretty fantastic. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 03:58:46 AM by Nagumo »

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I wish Konami would say "Yeah, so we're making all these pachislot games just so we can make a little money and keep developing 2D Castlevania games without having to worry about them selling.". But it seems they're using the profit from the pachislots to make...more pachislots?

If LoS2 is a flop I'm worried what will happen to the franchise. I also wonder what exactly is considered a "flop" when it comes to Castlevania. The first LoS was a financial success, selling just over 1 million copies. If something like God of War sold 1 million, Sony would have a crisis meeting... I also heard Squeenix consider the latest Tomb Raider a commercial failure even though it sold much more than LoS. Makes you wonder if the budgets are THAT different or if it comes down to expectations and...dunno...vanity?

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
I wish Konami would say "Yeah, so we're making all these pachislot games just so we can make a little money and keep developing 2D Castlevania games without having to worry about them selling.". But it seems they're using the profit from the pachislots to make...more pachislots?

No, of course not. Or do you think all the profit a CV game makes is used to make another one? Besides, how do you come to that conclusion? Honestly, some of you are being really unreasonable about this.     
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 07:16:08 AM by Nagumo »

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
No, of course not. Or do you think all the profit a CV game makes is used to make another one? Besides, how do you come to that conclusion? Honestly, some of you are being really unreasonable about this.   

I don't "think" anything. And there's no "conclusion" whatsoever in my post. I was merely speaking freely, expressing what I wish for. I wish for lots of other things too, many of them are completely unreasonable, but I still want them to happen. If that's worth a minus then so be it  ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:46:35 AM by shelverton. »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Is it "unreasonable" to want a new CV game and not a slot machine? I see the assets put into it and think they could be better used for a videogame. But then, I'm a videogame fan, not a gambling fan. My main attraction is to the CV games. So to me, it's wasted resources. I could care less about the business side. I just want more CV games. Having a CV slot machine, to me, anyway- is like a total sell out. It's a way to abuse the brand to get people to play the more profitable venture. Not because they want people to really enjoy the hard work on their slot machine. It's for aesthetics and brand recognition only.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
I don't "think" anything. And there's no "conclusion" whatsoever in my post. I was merely speaking freely, expressing what I wish for. I wish for lots of other things too, many of them are completely unreasonable, but I still want them to happen. If that's worth a minus then so be it  ;)

Ok, Shel-kun. Sorry about that, then.  :-\

Having a CV slot machine, to me, anyway- is like a total sell out. It's a way to abuse the brand to get people to play the more profitable venture. Not because they want people to really enjoy the hard work on their slot machine. It's for aesthetics and brand recognition only.

Well, you should take into account that this was developed for the Japanese market only. Gamecenters and gambling machines are very popular over there, way more than where I live at least, so in that sense it's not selling out at all, and it's not absurd. It may seem that way if you live somewhere else, so it's easy to accuse the game of being that I suppose. People over there are genuinely excited to play things like that. So I'm not sure why, when the Castlevania series serves as the base for a pretty cool and unique slotmachine, with obviously had a decent amount of effort put into it, is suddenly viewed as a product of soulles branding. 

Also, with the popularity of gamecenters once again taken into consideration, it may not be accurate to brand the Pachislots as merely a way to spread the Castlevania brand, instead of a succesful spin-off series in it's own right. 

I'm not making this stuff up. I'm sure someone from Japan can attest to what I'm saying. 

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)

I should probably stop posting in this thread until real news comes out, just thinking about the franchise future is a little upsetting.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Nagumo has he floor here. She's 100% correct. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
How can I forget Adventure Rebirth? I bring shame. I apologize.

Also those who keep down voting my posts.. All I have to say is lol.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
I remember when Nagumo posted the first pachislot trailer on another forum, before we knew that it was a pachislot game. The initial assumption was that it was either a sequel to or a remake of Curse of Darkness, and the section with Trevor look over the clock tower gears gave a glimpse of hope that, holy whack, it was going to be a 3D game with actual level design.

And then we found out it was a slot machine game. It brought some people to tears.