Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406292 times)

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Death pits should return or at least punish you in way that you would think twice before making a mistake and you fall in.

Now this right here would be an incredibly worthwhile mod for the PC version. Heck, adding lives and more evenly spaced checkpoints would be even better.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Death pits could work even on metroidvanias, like if you fall from a really high place, you take damage according to the height you fallen, until you find a skill, that i would prefer that skill to be secret, offering some challenge to the game, so that you want have to go start jumping all over the place mindlessly.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Death pits could work even on metroidvanias, like if you fall from a really high place, you take damage according to the height you fallen, until you find a skill
Nope nope nope nope

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
It is clear by now that the game wasn't for me, and I never said otherwise.
I know a lot of people dislike CV64, but it's one of my favourites.
Mine too :-) mechanics, camera, graphics yeah, could've been better but damn did i play the hell out of legacy of darkness lol.  That's my personal fav of the 2  8)
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards

So, do you find it logical falling from 100 meter and land like you were fall from half meter? And don't tell me it's a game, because if that's the reason, then we shouldn't whine about anything and accept every game that comes out, without criticize it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 02:04:10 PM by Dark Nemesis »
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
From the way I see it, when you fall you die (ClassicVanias) or you don't (MetroidVanias).
Something in between like the fall damage in Mirror of Fate didn't make sense to me in a Castlevania setting.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Logic and gameplay should often go hand in hand, but I'm always willing to stretch logic to make smooth gameplay. Fall damage is just lame, especially with the metrics of Castlevania's jump arcs, especially double jumps, and so forth. Having to climb back up in itself is enough punishment for the player.

Logically I can understand if Alucard can survive a huge drop, like SotN caves. Richter is a bit more of a stretch but given the Belmont's super human strength and skill, you could stretch logic enough to say he just knows how to land and is strong enough to take the fall. I do think there should be another tier of "fall stun" where you stop longer after landing as a result. More of a "Damn! That stings!" pause, rather than a "I BROKE MY LEG!" incident.

As a counter example where fall damage works, the idea of fall damage in say Ocarina of Time makes more sense. Link jumps as high as a normal human, and primarily when running off edges. The idea that he cannot land from a high fall safely is fairly intuitive. However someone in Castlevania normally jumps about 16 times higher than Link, and lands fine every time. Not to mention double jumps, which would be about 24-26 times higher than Link can jump.

Belmonts are just so strong and skilled they know 'how to land' and have the fortitude to walk away from it without an issue. Just show that it was a harsh landing by giving an additional delay before they can start moving again, would be the best 'correction'. But honestly, it's not that big of a deal in my opinion.

Oh, and what about others? Any sort of mages have magic, that's the ultimate logical fixer. Alucard is a super powerful vampire. Grant was an acrobatics expert. Etc, etc, etc.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
How about something like this every time you fall?

Family Guy Peter is Hurt
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
Did you play the game through on the hardest difficulty?  I found it quite an entertaining challenge, and found it demanded a high degree of strategy in terms of handling those gauges and keeping Gabe alive.  Perhaps not DMC4 or Bayonetta tier in terms of depth, but demanding nonetheless.

Agreed. I didn't feel like Paladin mode was that much tougher outside of the fact that it hurts more if you get hit, but the stronger enemies allowed you to make better use of the combat system. In a way, I didn't fully appreciate it UNTIL I played it on Paladin and had to make greater use of the moves I wasn't using as much before.

Have to say though, that combo video was pretty badass! Good job to the guy who did that!

CV 64 is very ehh to me I only got as far as the sewers with Carrie and past the forest of slience hile LoD I beat it with all four characters so good job if you can stomach the vanilla version.

This is odd to me because I thought LoD had junk level design compared to CV64. If CV64 had the extra two characters, there'd be no reason to play LoD imo.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
How about something like this every time you fall?

Family Guy Peter is Hurt
ONLY if it's a QTE. IT would be P-E-R-F-E-C-T.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Press OX to say "Aaah...
Press OO to say "Aaah..."
Press XXO to say "Aaah..."
Press OXOXXO to say "Aaah..."

Success!

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Agreed. I didn't feel like Paladin mode was that much tougher outside of the fact that it hurts more if you get hit, but the stronger enemies allowed you to make better use of the combat system. In a way, I didn't fully appreciate it UNTIL I played it on Paladin and had to make greater use of the moves I wasn't using as much before.

Have to say though, that combo video was pretty badass! Good job to the guy who did that!

This is odd to me because I thought LoD had junk level design compared to CV64. If CV64 had the extra two characters, there'd be no reason to play LoD imo.

I bugged up on that sentence. In the 64 version I only got past the forest of silence with reinhardt. Also, cv64 messed up on the control and camera( I clearly remember in the villa when the chainsaw man chasing me that the camera just got stuck in an area and I weas like no!!!! and then I died that was such a glitch and I'll tell you this has never happened to me in lod just the vanilla version) badly and lod improved upon that also, if I can beat  lod with all four characters, three of them on the hardest difficulty (Carrie I cannot remember honestly) then something is very,very, wrong. All the mess ups in cv64 are improved upon in lod not perfected, but impropved enough that this one can beat it more than once and let me tell you lod is one of my favorites  ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 12:08:28 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
While i love the explanation uzo gave, still i would like a more logical explanation, like why Richter or Maria can go underwater and stay there eternally, without drowning on SoTN, when on the previous game they can't?
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Because it just doesn't matter, every franchise plays by its own rules.
From where I see it, that makes sense, but the fact of having fall damage in Mirror of Fate does not, though in real life it would be exactly the opposite.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
While i love the explanation uzo gave, still i would like a more logical explanation, like why Richter or Maria can go underwater and stay there eternally, without drowning on SoTN, when on the previous game they can't?

Perhaps they learned the "breathe underwater" spell in between the two games.