Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406221 times)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
When Robert Carlyle did that scene, he was really crying, and it was quite powerful.

... Seriously?

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
i shed a few tears when Aerith died #dontjudgeme

also when Yoko was stabbed

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
I think Jim Sterling inadvertently described the problem with LoS's plot in one of his videos. There is absolutely no idyllic or happy time seen in the game; it's all sadness all day erry day, so there's really nowhere to fall from. The fall is what makes tragedy work.

Also the number of friends and family Gabriel kills is just getting funny at this point.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
They have the perfect chance to do this now, atleast with flashbacks that will do little impact, but is better than nothing.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
That's one big grip I have with Gabriel's story, it's that we never see Gabriel in a happier place. I wish we could have seen him grow up to become the Brotherhoods finest warrior and falling in love with Marie. Instead they just drop the character on us and tell us "It's all in the manual, well most of it!"

And I agree with Lelgax, they now have a chance to do this with the phantoms of Trevor and Marie roaming around. So maybe we'll get those moments of tranquility, even for a little bit.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:38:36 PM by Kingshango »

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
I think Jim Sterling inadvertently described the problem with LoS's plot in one of his videos. There is absolutely no idyllic or happy time seen in the game; it's all sadness all day erry day, so there's really nowhere to fall from. The fall is what makes tragedy work.

Also the number of friends and family Gabriel kills is just getting funny at this point.
Just watched it:

Jimquisition: Crying Through The Laughs

Brilliant points made!!

I think, esepcially with CV, it would be beneficial to see WHAT exactly is at stake. A dark, evil threat looms, be it Dracula or Satan. What of this world we are bound to save(either as Belmont, or in LoS, Dracula)? Seeing that other side is something I've personally had in mind. I remember, years ago, I wrote a couple of CV stories(fanfics) that start off really light-hearted. One(that revovles around two Belmont brothers) starts off in a field of flowers where the brothers fool around as their girlfriends sit back and laugh at their brotherly rough-housing. Another, which was about the time before CV1, showed Simon at the Easter festival with his girlfriend(named her Serena after Haunted Castle) and her little sister, who gets Simon to folk-dance with her. Basically a time of great celebration and happiness, that eventually is crashed after Dracula sends his forces into the village.

I think it's a trend, like Jim hints out. People get enamoured with "dark" stories, I think companies tend to think, "Well, if people like dark, tragic stories, let's JUST give them that! As it is, if they like tragic ideas within a lighter story, if we just cut out the lighter parts and just go ALL OUT dark, they'll like it even MORE!". Y'know, it's basically a flawed means of trimming the fat. It's kinda like, "Oh, people love the cream in the center of the Oreos! Let's forget the chocolate cookies and just sell the CREAM!". Just... LOL! IMO, it's flawed logic.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
That why Ryukishi's (Higurashi & Umineko) works are successful, even if its simplistic it have a good story that have lighthearted parts and then tragedies, we can really sympathize with these characters and fell their human part. Without that its like a robotized plot.

Im not saying that you need to follow instructions to make a game, but atleast you need to understand that people need motivation to continue a adventure. If its only important for the character but is boring for the player, the story have holes or is just plain bad.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Dominus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
That's one big grip I have with Gabriel's story, it's that we never see Gabriel in a happier place. I wish we could have seen him grow up to become the Brotherhoods finest warrior and falling in love with Marie. Instead they just drop the character on us and tell us "It's all in the manual, well most of it!"

And I agree with Lelgax, they now have a chance to do this with the phantoms of Trevor and Marie roaming around. So maybe we'll get those moments of tranquility, even for a little bit.

Yep. While LoS I prefer LoS story, I felt MORE with OoE story with just text and a image of a smiling Shanoa.

LoS "tell instead showing" problem is what made Gabriel's fall from grace look underwhelming too.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 10:21:21 PM by Dominus »

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Yep. While LoS I prefer LoS story, I felt MORE with OoE story with just text and a omage of smiling Shanoa.

LoS "tell instead showing" problem is what made Gabriel's fall from grace look underwhelming too.

I'll go as far as to say that Trevor/Alucard in MoF was better written than Gabriel.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
I'll go as far as to say that Trevor/Alucard in MoF was better written than Gabriel.
Absolutely, Alucard arc has been the best story that has come from the reboot, I absolutely understand him as a character adnd his motivations, I'm not that clear with Gabriel, yet.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Absolutely, Alucard arc has been the best story that has come from the reboot, I absolutely understand him as a character adnd his motivations, I'm not that clear with Gabriel, yet.

"Perhaps the same could be said of all timelines."
Alucard started to give the old timeline more focus in story, the same happened in this timeline too, isnt it ironic? xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
LOS2 have some moments of humor, not many and subtle, but there are references.
I just hope that have some internet memes like "I'm Alucard .... Bitch!"  ;D ;D ;D

I like the story sad and hard to LOS. But ok I guess to end the saga could at least save one of the characters and have a happy ending, or at least Gabriel find redemption with God and so would close the sub-series.

The saga will end clear (speak of a final game engine scenes more than 10 minutes ...). The only option that would leave Konami for the future in LOS would make a PRE-LOS.

Regarding the future, I say what I want (does not have to be what will happen ..)
- I want a game for my VITA, SOTN style but with the graphics of MoF, I mean the style of combat, jump and SOTN rpg, but the visual aspect and art of MoF and of course in high resolution..
- The classic music, I like a lot the music of LOS but in a portable console and for a 2D game that music does not work...
- I would like the castle was random, was perfectly which is very difficult to make an elegant and detailed game besides random instances. (Diablo 3 is the best example, not end of being random in this version), but I would like a random castle.
- I want a deeper story and compact as LOS, too simple and sometimes simply references in others CV, FULLY UNDERSTANDABLE by the era in which they were made. Now we want a little more style TV series, with betrayal, love affairs, unexpected twists ... works ..
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:09:52 AM by Bergaron »
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards

That was my reaction, too. I had to snicker when I read that.

That why Ryukishi's (Higurashi & Umineko) works are successful, even if its simplistic it have a good story that have lighthearted parts and then tragedies, we can really sympathize with these characters and fell their human part. Without that its like a robotized plot.

Yes, excellent point. Final Fantasy V is one of the most lighthearted in the series, but when one of the main characters suddenly dies it's actually a bit sad. Not saying that it keeps you up at night, but at least it makes you feel something. Meanwhile, people drop dead left and right in LoS, but why should you care?     

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Right his would be wife worked on rondo and he entered SOTN later on did he not?

Yup. He was working on Tokimeki Memorial but he would spend time playing Rondo where he met his future wife.

When Robert Carlyle did that scene, he was really crying, and it was quite powerful.
... Seriously?

Knowing the way Robert Carlyle acts, that is very much possible. He really immerses himself into the shoes of his characters. It's called "Method Acting", though Carlyle hates that term.

Alucard started to give the old timeline more focus in story, the same happened in this timeline too, isnt it ironic? xD

Yeah. Maybe that was the intention of MoF from the start.

The saga will end clear (speak of a final game engine scenes more than 10 minutes ...). The only option that would leave Konami for the future in LOS would make a PRE-LOS.

I hope that long ending scene is void of button presses...

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
- the LoS Saga ends, it is a good trilogy with an interesting take on Castlevania's lore, and nobody else touches it once it's done.

Then choose one:
- Konami asks one studio (veteran or new) to make their own CV game (2D, 3D, or anything else that looks/plays/sounds like CV).
- Konami asks their own studio to continue the old timeline (SotN clones, or anything else that looks/plays/sounds like a "traditional timeline CV game").