Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406112 times)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Its on Dave Cox Twitter he also hinted that there will be additional stuff. I hope he isn't lying -_-.

Let's just say that I wouldn't put money on that.

Offline Dracul_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)

EDIT: Nevermind found it, more screens too.

http://www.playm.de/2013/08/mirror-of-fate-hd-und-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-collection-offiziell-angekundigt-106576/

What is Anti-Aliasing? simple FXAA would fix those jaggies up, the game couldn't be too hard on console video to not have it

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
I guess good 2D Castlevania is definitely dead and buried now then if Konami is rereleasing MoF twice.

I have a feeling this series is finished after LoS2.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
What is Anti-Aliasing? simple FXAA would fix those jaggies up, the game couldn't be too hard on console video to not have it
Yeah, could anyone tell that to Cox on twitter?

Everything comes full circle

Offline Kingshango

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
I ran ito "Him" again. Not gonna bother the PM bullshit like before and cut right too it:

MoFHD was made just recently and the original was made with the 3DS in mind and assets had only HD version for normal mapping purposes.

The core game is mostly the same, but there is some balance in damage outputs, platforming levels, and EVERY trivial QTE was removed, only the longest cinematic ones remain (boss killing stuf).

There is way less checkpoints as well (except in easy mode).

And they'll be a boss rush mode.

We're getting a new trailer for LOS2 very very soon and it will feature the new Belmont.

And while I couldn't get a name he assures that the "look" of the new Belmont will be a hot discussion amongst some Castlevania fans.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:35:07 AM by Kingshango »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards

FXAA = Fast Appropriate AntiAliasing.  You just described via your solution, what the problem was.
Aliasing = graphics looking weird.  Here's an example:

Say you're looking at a brick wall in a video.
As you start to move away from the brick wall, eventually the bricks will generate a pattern because their own pattern will coincide with the pixel resolution in the videocamera.
That's aliasing.

You can achieve a similar effect if you've ever looked at things through a mosquito mesh or a dithered bus window.  Happens even more if you tilt your head, where the pattern will appear to dance.

In order to stop these effects in games, where the resolution used to be quite low (N64), the game would 'smooth' the graphics.  You'd end up with somewhat blurred edges in your polygon models, but the game wouldn't look so pixelated and 'aliased'.  This came to be known as 'anti-aliasing.

It is related to the 'jaggies' in games because at certain angles, the jaggies become more pronounced.  If you apply an anti-aliasing effect to the entire screen, it smooths out everything, but you also lose some detail.
It's why N64 games looked slightly washed out (native hardware anti-aliasing) while Playstation games looked aliased and pixelated (take a look at old PS1 games that used polygon models).

There's some processing overhead involved in any kinda of AA technique, and the bigger the resolution, the more work has to be done to smooth it out.  Your graphics card probably has a slider bar in its settings where you can control how much anti-aliasing is done in your games, with no anti-aliasing generating a crisper, albeit pixelated image, and the full anti-aliasing generating a smooth but slightly blurry image.

Jaggies are related because they're resolution-based.

Say you draw a diagonal line in a paint program.  If your line isn't a perfect 45-degree diagonal, it's gonna generate tiny 'jaggies' as it slopes upwards.  These 'jaggies' become less noticeable the higher your resolution is.  However, if certain color combinations and graphic sampling techniques aren't applied, it can result in these jaggies still showing up even with all the techniques in place (if they're not done intelligently).

When the jaggies are apparent enough that they break the immersion in a 1080p or 720p game, it tends to become problematic and it's a sign of sloppy graphics processing methods, etc.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:46:15 AM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
I ran ito "Him" again. Not gonna bother the PM bullshit like before and cut right too it:

MoFHD was made just recently and the original was made with the 3DS in mind and assets had only HD version for normal mapping purposes.

The core game is mostly the same, but there is some balance in damage outputs, platforming levels, and EVERY trivial QTE was removed, only the longest cinematic ones remain (boss killing stuf).

There is way less checkpoints as well (except in easy mode).

And they'll be a boss rush mode.

We're getting a new trailer for LOS2 very very soon and it will feature the new Belmont.

And while I couldn't get a name he assures that the "look" of the new Belmont will be a hot discussion amongst some Castlevania fans.
Cool thanks!

What about the Collection? Is it true?

Offline Kingshango

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Cool thanks!

What about the Collection? Is it true?

I didn't ask him as I assumed it was true with the leak and all.

He did say that the PC version of MoF does exist but they don't want to rush it out and will release it at a later date when everything is out of the way.

Oh and the collection is officially real.

And thanks for putting me on Gaf.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:46:53 PM by Kingshango »

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Well, this alleged collection makes one wonder about which way to play MoF is/will be better? Especially for newcomers.

LoS2 "Look" of the new Belmont...Will it be Sonia? Or maybe a leather jacket/steam punk modern male Belmont for the city?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:06:21 PM by RichterB »

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
I didn't ask him as I assumed it was true with the leak and all.

He did say that the PC version of MoF does exist but they don't want to rush it out and will release it at a later date when everything is out of the way.

Oh and the collection is officially real.

And thanks for putting me on Gaf.
You rule man.

AS I said, I expect it to be a "totally not Julius" hobo red haired Belmont called julian

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
MoF HD on PC will be out probably after LoS Ultimate Edition is out. Maybe two or three months after.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
I guess good 2D Castlevania is definitely dead and buried now then if Konami is rereleasing MoF twice.

I have a feeling this series is finished after LoS2.

Everyone expected some sort of collection to be launched, it doesnt change the fact that after LoS2 Ultimate Hyper Alpha 3 edition everything can return to normal again.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
FXAA = Fast Appropriate AntiAliasing.  You just described via your solution, what the problem was.
Aliasing = graphics looking weird.  Here's an example:

Say you're looking at a brick wall in a video.
As you start to move away from the brick wall, eventually the bricks will generate a pattern because their own pattern will coincide with the pixel resolution in the videocamera.
That's aliasing.

You can achieve a similar effect if you've ever looked at things through a mosquito mesh or a dithered bus window.  Happens even more if you tilt your head, where the pattern will appear to dance.

In order to stop these effects in games, where the resolution used to be quite low (N64), the game would 'smooth' the graphics.  You'd end up with somewhat blurred edges in your polygon models, but the game wouldn't look so pixelated and 'aliased'.  This came to be known as 'anti-aliasing.

It is related to the 'jaggies' in games because at certain angles, the jaggies become more pronounced.  If you apply an anti-aliasing effect to the entire screen, it smooths out everything, but you also lose some detail.
It's why N64 games looked slightly washed out (native hardware anti-aliasing) while Playstation games looked aliased and pixelated (take a look at old PS1 games that used polygon models).

There's some processing overhead involved in any kinda of AA technique, and the bigger the resolution, the more work has to be done to smooth it out.  Your graphics card probably has a slider bar in its settings where you can control how much anti-aliasing is done in your games, with no anti-aliasing generating a crisper, albeit pixelated image, and the full anti-aliasing generating a smooth but slightly blurry image.

Jaggies are related because they're resolution-based.

Say you draw a diagonal line in a paint program.  If your line isn't a perfect 45-degree diagonal, it's gonna generate tiny 'jaggies' as it slopes upwards.  These 'jaggies' become less noticeable the higher your resolution is.  However, if certain color combinations and graphic sampling techniques aren't applied, it can result in these jaggies still showing up even with all the techniques in place (if they're not done intelligently).

When the jaggies are apparent enough that they break the immersion in a 1080p or 720p game, it tends to become problematic and it's a sign of sloppy graphics processing methods, etc.

I'm just expressing how a game made with 3DS' assets (or other way around, but still) couldn't have even the most simplistic form of Anti-Aliasing on consoles, especially when the models are somewhat low-poly, If the game on consoles is natively 720p there is no excuse to not have any form of AA, if its 1080p, no AA is forgivable....

Then again, MoF could be built with a very poorly optimized engine...

Point is, those Screenshots should be looking alot less jagged

p.s.
Thx for the full explination, I had an average understanding of AA and performance differences between them, but I'm the type that I can learn better with a detailed explanation.

P.s.s.
Apparently the LOS2 Demo is in MoF HD, so I'm guessing its like an old PSone Title, Get the game and a Demo - source, Dave's Twitter
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:02:23 PM by KaZ »

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards

Also, those game details...

Gawd, muh dick....
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

anything