Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406209 times)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
A new article from destructoid puts LOS2 among the ten best games that they saw at gamescom.

http://www.destructoid.com/our-top-ten-games-of-gamescom-2013-260689.phtml

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Anybody find it kinda of weird the current Destructoid stance on LOS2 after Jim Sterling infamous review of the first.  :o

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Either they're ass kissing or there has been some good improvements.

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I don't know if they are ass kissing they been pretty negative on LOS series until recently. Sooooooo either they got trucks piling money on their yards or there are improvements. EVEN SO ITS WEIIIIIIIIIIRD
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 06:02:53 AM by Trevorcard »

Offline somasworld

• Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
August 27, 2013, 06:01:02 AM - Hidden.

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I don't know about that. Although I think Igrashi made some sub standard 3D games. I think his ingenuity and prowess when it comes to 2D games cannot be denied. Although I was getting a metroidvania fatigue, I do think he was making some improvements in formula in Order of Ecclesia. I think Mercury Stream is much better at doing 3D Castlevania but I think their work on Mirror of Fate proved that they are not as good at doing 2D Castlevania games. Although I enjoyed Mirror Of Fate it doesn't hold a candle to Igrashi Metroidvania games even though I prefer Mercury Stream art style and characters. My view both Igrashi and Mercury Stream are good for the series just in different ways.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
IGA will never make a better 3D game, but a /game/ in general? That's debatable, some could argue he already did (Ecclesia, not Symphony because that was not his). And I for one don't want this argument again.

In other news, yay,. posivity in the press! That's great, remember how LoS1 was ill recieved since the beginning? The cfact it ended witha good metacritic surprises me, because all big outlets killed it in their reviews. Except Gamesradar, Gamesradar rules.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I would argue that Gamespot grade their 7.0 while numerically low is actually a good review of the game. Although I would put the game numerically the same as Eurogamer did with their 8. I love Lord of Shadows but its flawed game but I am glad that Lord of Shadow 2 is looking to fulfill its potential. Its basically the game, mercurystream wanted to make from the beginning. A game in which you played as Dracula in Castlevania game.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
I think Gamespot gave a fair review on LOS1 despite it getting only a 7.5 (which is not a bad score btw) but IGN's review just read like the ramblings of an angry IGA fanboy (no offences to the IGA fans here) who's first Castlevania was SOTN. Like the Gamespot It wasn't the score that bothered me but rather the written review as well as the video review.

Aside from that, im glad to see that LOS2 is getting more positive praise compared to LOS1 (and definitely MoF) but journalist do have a history of flipping their switch once they do the review.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
I don't bother to listen to journalists or reviews anymore. It's so easy to call anything that's marketed as a AAA game a GOTY contender or the greatest thing ever since sliced bread. Playing the game for myself is much more efficient.

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
IGA will never create a better Castlevania than this Lords of Shadow 2 !!!
David Cox has done a lot of things really well....
The series has become really really famous and Castlevania is now one of the
most anticipated games nex year !!!

David Cox we have to THANK YOU
YOU made CASTLEVANIA BIGGER AND BETTER THAN EVER !!!

Ehhhh ... Is this serious? Or is trolling?

Bigger? no (fantastic bigger for a 3D game, but no have 100 hour..)
Better? mmm waiting LOS2.. but i think NO, only DIFERENT, is almost imposible say that a fantastic game is better than other, is like say FFVII is better than Ocarina of Time.. no... they are fantastic and diferent...

Anyway. A half year Cox fits Castlevania producer, will set you need a calculator to count how many are going to say stupid things. It will be at ease with everyone ...

"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
I don't know about that. Although I think Igrashi made some sub standard 3D games. I think his ingenuity and prowess when it comes to 2D games cannot be denied. Although I was getting a metroidvania fatigue, I do think he was making some improvements in formula in Order of Ecclesia. I think Mercury Stream is much better at doing 3D Castlevania but I think their work on Mirror of Fate proved that they are not as good at doing 2D Castlevania games. Although I enjoyed Mirror Of Fate it doesn't hold a candle to Igrashi Metroidvania games even though I prefer Mercury Stream art style and characters. My view both Igrashi and Mercury Stream are good for the series just in different ways.
Mercury Steam also had 10x the budget that even LoI and CoD combined had. Hell, toss in there all of his Castlevanias combined and maybe you still wont get the budget LoS got.

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Honestly I think ten times budget could be attributed to this generation requiring much more money than last generation for blockbusters. Also I don't know if one could really say that all the poor level design and shoddy mechanics in Igrashi games could be attributed to shoddy budgets. I think it is difficult to move from 2D to 3D games and some developers can't manage it to no fault of their own. Anyway it is meaningless to say now whether the Igrashi games in gameplay terms would be better with a larger budget because it won't change what has happened. However I think most would agree that Igrashi 2D games are much much better then his 3D games.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:35:22 PM by Trevorcard »

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Mercury Steam also had 10x the budget that even LoI and CoD combined had. Hell, toss in there all of his Castlevanias combined and maybe you still wont get the budget LoS got.
We don't know that, for all intents and purposes salaries in japan are 7x those of Spain.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
We don't know that, for all intents and purposes salaries in japan are 7x those of Spain.

Exactly!!, Four years ago won 2000 euros a month, now 950 (and I have almost 10 years experience in Oracle technologies). I found the work of chance and work about 10 hours a day.

It is more than possible that the first LOS (but not los2) is cheaper than any 2D castlevania ...

MS is assumed that part of the costs, that is, part of the "payment" was to have the possibility of working with Konami and be known .. that was in the LOS1, now make more your own pace.
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

anything