Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406181 times)

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)
« Reply #3555 on: September 02, 2013, 11:13:52 PM »
Agartha sucks. =/

Replaying from scratch on the steam version, Agharta mostly sucks because the game feels like you need game-stopping tutorial text EVERY THIRTY SECONDS AARRRGH. Other than that I like how it looks.

But personally, I thought the game DID mostly look Castlevania, though perhaps not as dark, which was probably intentional. The Abbey and the Castle were pretty staple, the Baba Yaga village was suitably dark and dreary, and hell, Agharta even gave me plenty of Rondo/Bloodlines vibes, though I can definitely see why it offended a lot of people's senses. Agharta also needed to be a lot shorter.

In fact, the part of the game that felt the least Castlevania to me was the Land of the Dead. That just felt like stereotypical, fantasy game unearthly wasteland.

Agree on all counts, especially on the Land of the Dead. How did Gabriel get on Mars? Unless LoS is canonically linked to DooM.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)
« Reply #3556 on: September 02, 2013, 11:32:09 PM »
Even considering I didn't enjoy the game very much, Land of the Dead was BY FAR the most boring part. Actually, it's one of the most boring and out of place stages I've seen in a game, and it seemed to last forever.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Ofthenight

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3557 on: September 02, 2013, 11:40:52 PM »
So hard to stay dark and not read about this game!

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #3558 on: September 03, 2013, 12:06:11 AM »
Or maybe not.

According to this new interview published by spanish site 3DJuegos, Cox said this:

“All the adventure happens in one single night; the night when Satan has returned. So this gothic fantasy city, as you can imagine, will have rain, different weather effects and everything that characterizes Castlevania. We didn't want to make Gotham City and put Dracula right in Times Square. We thought that would turn out to be ridicule”.

And if we learned something all these years, is that when Cox says something isn't, it's because it really is.
Or not.

Original article > http://www.3djuegos.com/noticia/136506/2/castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2/nuevos-detalles-argumento/
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3559 on: September 03, 2013, 01:57:19 AM »
Topics merged.  :)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #3560 on: September 03, 2013, 09:23:35 AM »
Agree on all counts, especially on the Land of the Dead. How did Gabriel get on Mars? Unless LoS is canonically linked to DooM.

Mars?  Looks like Saturn (according to Beetlejuice). xD
Saturn's Sandworms OccultScience Trib.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3561 on: September 03, 2013, 09:34:53 AM »
Land of Death was definitely the weakest area in the game but there was some cool stuff in the level. Loved the eclipse puzzles, the boss fights with guy in hell furnace and pan as well as fights with the reapers. Also there was much more platforming that you actually had to jump even though they were hit and miss. Also the guy who voices the reaper in Lord of Shadow and Mirror of Fate was pretty cool. Hope he appears in Lord of Shadow 2 he has a great voice :D.

By the way you guys I have a feeling that the Chupacabra will be working with Dracula. Maybe as a summon like the fairies?

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3562 on: September 03, 2013, 03:47:45 PM »
+1
Im more inclined to think the Chupacabras will be for certain segments in the game, as a gimmick. or maybe just as a story element wth no gameplay relevance, who knows.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3563 on: September 03, 2013, 03:50:28 PM »
If not, I am hoping you can summon something like the fairies that was a cool mechanic. It would be cool if there was a innocent devil like creature you could summon.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3564 on: September 03, 2013, 04:14:29 PM »
I'm all for fairies, always.
On the other hand, the chupacabras (and the hunchbacks) are BY FAR the ugliest thing a Castlevania has had.

I hope they onclude fairies that follow you all the time like in CoD. Every time I remember CoD the first thing that comes to my head is the fairies, and I named her Pfil  :)

I'm making a new topic about this!  ;D

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3565 on: September 03, 2013, 04:19:40 PM »
But they should be ugly :P they are midget monsters. I liked the hunchbacks I think they were good modern take on the classic Hoppers. I don't think Dracula is going to have fairies though :P.

I do think Fairies and the holy water were my favorite weapons in Lord of Shadows. The fairies suicide bombing was pretty weird hope it was worth it!

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3566 on: September 03, 2013, 05:00:36 PM »
I liked the original hunchback sprites, but the moment you turn something into realistic 3D you have to make some adjustments in order to make them more appealing to the eyes, especially in something so related to beauty as Castlevania. I don't say they must be pretty, but there's a limit, at least personally, and those enemies (and Baba Yaga) crossed that line for me. I have no problem with the rest of redesigns, though. However, I still prefer the old ones.

I felt the fairies were a missed oportunity in LoS, I expected something more like in CoD, where you see your fairy following you all the time.
But yes, the fairies attack was cool. Everything fairy-related is cool!  :)

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3567 on: September 03, 2013, 05:06:25 PM »
I don't know I thought the use of Fairies as sub weapons was pretty cool and something not seen before.

I don't know :P I think Castlevana has had grotesque things before I mean what about Beelzebub in Symphony of night.  I could understand why you may feel like that they were super ugly.

Man the innocent devil system in Curse of Darkness was pretty cool. Wish it would be implemented again in future castlevania games, too bad the rest of the game was so bland for me.

Offline Dracul_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #3568 on: September 03, 2013, 05:36:28 PM »
What about a remake of the most remarkable CV games? How about a PS4 version of Dracula's Curse, Lament of innocence, Rondo of Blood, SotN, etc. improving gameplay and giving more strength to the story with better dialogues (not saying that were bad, just some times silly). I say this because I really like LOS approach on their story, not saying that remakes should follow that style, but I think that Castlevania is a franchise worthy of great story-telling, a best seller if there were books. It has great potential. The game that really could be improved is Curse of Darkness. I think that CoD has good gameplay (with Hector, hate it with Trevor), but level design was not good IMO. It would rock that CVIII could be an open world game and you must find Sypha, Alucard and Grant. I don't know, it just ocurred to me :)

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #3569 on: September 03, 2013, 05:38:49 PM »
What about a remake of the most remarkable CV games? How about a PS4 version of Dracula's Curse, Lament of innocence, Rondo of Blood, SotN, etc. improving gameplay and giving more strength to the story with better dialogues (not saying that were bad, just some times silly). I say this because I really like LOS approach on their story, not saying that remakes should follow that style, but I think that Castlevania is a franchise worthy of great story-telling, a best seller if there were books. It has great potential. The game that really could be improved is Curse of Darkness. I think that CoD has good gameplay (with Hector, hate it with Trevor), but level design was not good IMO. It would rock that CVIII could be an open world game and you must find Sypha, Alucard and Grant. I don't know, it just ocurred to me :)
These games would be relegated for a downloadable only title. No one wants to pay full price on these type of games anymore these times (of course, outside enthusiats/fans like us).