Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406538 times)

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)
« Reply #3885 on: September 30, 2013, 11:56:58 AM »
Well, here's the latest Castlevania article that's popped up on the internet.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/431017/features/history-lesson-castlevania/
I can't say it brings anything new; the author calls it a "history lesson". Well, it's better than nothing -- and a chance to check if he's got his history down right.

Here are a few choice morsels:

What was released in 1987 as Castlevania is the NES port of Akumajo Dracula. While Vampire Killer and Castlevania stem from the same title, the NES and MSX birthed very different games.
The powerful NES delivered Akumajo Dracula's side-scrolling action-platforming, but the MSX broke heftier levels into more manageable chunks. The distinction defines the series to this day: what are the explorable keeps of recent Castlevanias if not scrolling maps chopped into more manageable chunks?
The transition from side-scroller to full-on explorable castle - known as the Metroidvania genre - was gradual, a sense of freedom coughing and spluttering through six iterations.
So Metroidvania was actually born with VK MSX? Splendid.

Strange then, that in 1991 Konami released Super Castlevania IV for the SNES - an action-platformer as linear as they come. Worked on by many staff who soon left to form Treasure, it's an undeniable visual powerhouse, but a step back to the original Castlevania.
(...) Despite Castlevania IV's attempts to drive a stake through the series' RPG leanings (...)

its 3DS spin-off Mirror Of Fate (coming soon to XBLA and PSN) show there's still life in the Metroidvania genre too.

In all there have been 40 Castlevania games, with the upcoming Mirror Of Fate 2 marking game number 41.

The bottom line: our editor might need a CV history lesson of his own.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:43:18 PM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)
« Reply #3886 on: September 30, 2013, 05:56:26 PM »
+1
Sorry, let's use this thread to discuss LoS 2 ONLY, please.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
Sorry, let's use this thread to discuss LoS 2 ONLY, please.
That's all very well, but it's not exactly as if we've been doing just that for the past few pages.  :P
So I'm sure that I'm not the only to feel frustrated from this extended lack of news... In the meantime, we'll need to hold off with what we already have.

And the article I presented isn't entirely unrelated:
In all there have been 40 Castlevania games, with the upcoming Mirror Of Fate 2 marking game number 41.
... ... But I'll admit that doesn't get us very far.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #3888 on: October 02, 2013, 05:12:15 AM »
Well Cox says that he's editing new trailers this month so we're definitly getting a trailer for LOS2 along with MoF HD for Halloween.

Also he said he's already working on his next project. Which is totally not Contra.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
Ah, Cox's latest Twitter feed. Well, I'll certainly be waiting for that trailer.
MoF HD? Eh, not so much.

And I can only pray that his next project isn't Contra.

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
Regardless of whether the next project is Contra or not. If it is a remake by Dave Cox, fan reaction phases turn out something like this.

1. Anger
2. Acceptance
3. Some praise
4. (We will see what stage this is after the conclusion of LoS Saga.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Except that 2, 3 and 4 doesnt exist for everyone, only some people :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
Regardless of whether the next project is Contra or not. If it is a remake by Dave Cox, fan reaction phases turn out something like this.

1. Anger
2. Acceptance
3. Some praise

Speak for yourself.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #3893 on: October 02, 2013, 06:05:09 PM »

1. Anger
2. Acceptance
3. Some praise

Nah I think most people are gonna be stuck on 1.

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I was speaking of those who do change their thoughts. Yeah, people stay in stage one too. Sucks putting details on the phone :/.

By the way, I was in MGS forums earlier and they're still mad about David Hayter not playing as Snake. Well, at least you didn't get your franchise rebooted.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
I'm on 3 with LoS.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards

1. Anger
2. Acceptance
3. Some praise

My feelings about LoS are basically 1-3 wrapped in a ball.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
I was 2 and 3 from day 1. i was hyped for this new different take, and I was not let down by it. (except the whole false advertising of Dracula being in it saying Die Belmont)
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
But that is what made the Plot Twist so surprising. You really thought there was Dracula in the end when it was... YOU, ALL ALONG!

Speaking of Plot Twists,

Wrong Number

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
It'll be:

1. Some people like it
2. Some people don't like it