Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406417 times)

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Regardless of whether the next project is Contra or not. If it is a remake by Dave Cox, fan reaction phases turn out something like this.

1. Anger
2. Acceptance
3. Some praise
4. (We will see what stage this is after the conclusion of LoS Saga.
It's not quite as simple as that.

We've all know that passionate enthusiasm; we've all known that baleful anger; we've all fought; we've all struggled; disputed; challenged each other until the very end -- but now our voices have died out, our eyes have lost their glimmer, our words have lost their meaning, and our very spirits have grown cold. Now, three years after it all started, we're exhausted. And who knows? Maybe it's finally time to let it all go...

I've loved Lords of Shadow; and I've hated it. Now, I've praised it and railed against it more times than I could possibly count -- it all converges into a shapeless blur in the back of my conscience. "Why?" I ask myself. "For what purpose?" I wonder. And, as I am writing these words, I can no longer find an answer...
So, what is left? What now remains behind? Had we left anything untouched? Was there anything that our untold fury could not destroy? I looked around, blind once more, staggering -- and then I saw it. It was still there, undamaged, uncorrupted. No, it wasn't a demon; it wasn't a god. No; it was lying there, atop of a small stack of books over my desk. And so I realized: it hadn't changed! No matter how wrenching the heartbreak, no matter how powerful the emotions we had poured into it, hour after hour, day after day, it had persisted. It had persisted, because that was all that it could do. I looked at it once more, and all those illusions, all those faces, all those strange apparitions that had haunted me for so long all crumbled, melted away. In their place, laying in front of me, stood... a game. Nothing more, nothing less.

So why am I telling you this? Why did I choose to weave that story out of the fabric of my imagination?
Well, to tell you the truth, it's because I think it's time we regained our piece of mind. For the better or for the worse, I have come to terms with Lords of Shadow. I've come to understand it for what it is, no matter how violent my misgivings might be. Yes, it is acceptance, but not the one you seem to prescribe, Zetheraxza; it is one of a different kind. Too long have we been in the fray; it is time we pulled back. From where I'm looking at it, I see something truly interesting, and I smile at it, knowing that that's all that matters.
Soon, Lords of Shadow will have ended. Soon, Castlevania will move on to different realms and different worlds. And soon, it will be time for us to follow its call -- now, we need to look to the future, and not to the past.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
I think anyone who has ever struggled with accepting the direction of a game franchise should consider making their own fan game.

It was that frustration with cv that inspired me to start creating not only my own fan game of cv, but to create my own fan made cv universe.

I've felt that cv needed a reboot for some time now, but I don't think ms went about it the way I would have liked them to. I realized that if I wanted to see cv go in the direction I wanted it to, I would have to start it myself. Luckily I have found some talented people to work with along the way.

But creating a cv fan game has also sparked an interest in other cv fan games. They have become my bread and butter for cv. Having my own outlet for creativity with castlevania makes LOS more enjoyable for what it is.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
So basically, you kind of see LoS as Cox/MS' CV fangame?
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
I think anyone who has ever struggled with accepting the direction of a game franchise should consider making their own fan game.

It was that frustration with cv that inspired me to start creating not only my own fan game of cv, but to create my own fan made cv universe.

I've felt that cv needed a reboot for some time now, but I don't think ms went about it the way I would have liked them to. I realized that if I wanted to see cv go in the direction I wanted it to, I would have to start it myself. Luckily I have found some talented people to work with along the way.

But creating a cv fan game has also sparked an interest in other cv fan games. They have become my bread and butter for cv. Having my own outlet for creativity with castlevania makes LOS more enjoyable for what it is.

Ah, but you only say that because the series is currently going in your favor. It's so easy to look down when you are at the top with a particular accepted taste/trend. But nothing lasts forever. So you would've made your own game had MS and Cox never stepped in and vanquished the night?

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
I wouldn't say it's going in my favor at all. My favor would be a classicvania with new hi-res artwork and expanded gameplay mechanics and a fresh start on the story.

I had the ideas in my head for my game back around the time curse of darkness came out. That was the point that i really started getting frustrated with cv. It was a long time after that before I actually started working on The Rise of Castlevania.

When I stared working on the games I wished Konami would make, I stopped worrying or caring if Konami did it themselves. With that expectation out of the way, I was able to become more receptive to what Konami does with the official franchise.

I'm so immersed in the storyline I've written for CV, that it has almost become the new official storyline in my mind. Haha.

But I wouldn't say I consider LOS a fan game, though I think the storyline we have for ROC is a much more realistic way to tell the story of CV. I also think it would be better received by longtime fans.

But I'm able to be excited for anything Konami does or plans because I have my own base covered, ya know?

There's also so many other great fan games in the works right now. There's a lot to be excited for!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 08:23:00 PM by Jeffrey Montoya »

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards

Ah, so you've made your own fan games. Any chance I could have a look at them?
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Oops bad wording. No I have only worked on Rise of Castlevania. I created music and some sound effects for Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles, but that is the only other game I have have been a part of. Mig, the programmer of that game is also the programmer of ROC, which is being built on a modified engine of The Lecarde Chronicles.

ROC has gone through many transformations to get where it is conceptually. It features new and all original art, music, story characters, pretty much new everything.

We will be showcasing something new from the game soon.

But this isn't the right thread to discuss it, I apologize for the derail.

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
Finally some news. Well, a picture but is this open world enough for ya?

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #3908 on: October 04, 2013, 10:35:54 PM »
That is artwork from LOS1 my friend.

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
'walks of shame'

Offline Asgardwolf

• Lord of the Lycans
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
Dracula`s Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2-2MG52wog

The first minute would've been kinda great in a new Shadowgate game.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
YES, I've been waiting to hear this theme apart from the trailer.

I love the piano work on it. I could actually potentially see this in a classic CV game. Especially when the full orchestra chimes in.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
This is very, very good.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Dracula`s Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2-2MG52wog
Probably one of the best Dracula themes ever, I rank it up there with IV's.

anything