Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406294 times)

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
It's a very nice theme, for what it is.
But, of course, is was made-to-order for the trailer, so it doesn't have the depth or the substance we'd expect from that piece. It's pretty far from the visceral impact of SCIV's Dracula Battle theme. Still quite enjoyable, though.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:05:32 AM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
meh
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Probably one of the best Dracula themes ever, I rank it up there with IV's.
Isn't Dracula's theme in SCIV just the game intro theme?

It's a very nice theme, for what it is.
But, of course, is was made-to-order for the trailer, so it doesn't have the depth or the substance we'd expect from that piece. It's pretty far from the visceral impact of SCIV's Dracula Battle theme. Still quite enjoyable, though.
seems that way. That said, It's likely not a battle theme at all. probably play during cutscenes or non battle moments in general. I'm wo0ndering if Victor will have his own battle theme though.

I don't know about you, but I fail to see how SCIV's Dracula theme has "Visceral Impact". It feels just as much like a Cutscene piece as this one does. (because it is)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:31:03 AM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #3918 on: October 06, 2013, 10:30:29 AM »
Sounds like something that fit right into a Castlevania intro. Figures considering this theme plays in the main menu.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)

1st phase uses the normal stage music from this area, 2nd phase (skull face) uses Simon Theme, so you are more or less right I think. :P

I dont think this LoS2 Dracula's Theme is the best theme of all times, I prefer Dance of Illusionsm Riddle or even Vampire's Stomach.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
It feels just as much like a Cutscene piece as this one does. (because it is)
No, it's far more than that, although it is teased in the game's intro. It's a full battle theme, one you hear in the throne room, during your fight with Dracula.
Dracula Battle: Super Castlevania 4 Music

I don't know about you, but I fail to see how SCIV's Dracula theme has "Visceral Impact".
Ah, maybe I didn't choose my words right. It's eerie, unnerving, yes -- but it also has that capacity to seize you, to take hold of you, to instantly draw up emotion... It's rather difficult to explain; but that's more of what I meant by "visceral impact".

I'm wo0ndering if Victor will have his own battle theme though.
I certainly hope he will. If he doesn't, he'd certainly be the first...

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
personal opinion then. The Dracula theme in SCIV is definitely eerie, but I think it works better in the intro cutscene. It REALLY makes an awesome atmosphere what with the fog and all. But as a boss the,me it's a very passive theme, which makes it not that great for me.

And it's actually the stage theme for the final flight of steps into the keep... I don't think that counts as a Boss theme. That's like counting Sigma's first form theme in X6 as Sigma's theme, when it's used in the stage right before the boss.

IMO Simon's theme is the real Dracula battle theme.

That's one thing that always sort of bothered me about SCIV. Such great music... But yet... It doesn't have an actual REAL boss theme for Dracula... It uses the intro/castle keep theme and then Simon's theme. What gives? they run out of money at the last minute on music?
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
I don't really think these themes are comparable.

SC4's music is a legend. It's like the Beatle's white album of video game music.

LOS and LOS2 music is delicate, and very introspective to Gabriel. It's a completely different approach to creating video game music.

Comparing the music of these two games is like comparing apples to oranges.

Obviously this new version of Dracula's theme is a beautiful piece. Why not appreciate it for what it is without trying to draw up broken comparisons just to take it down a notch?

You don't have to lower your expectations to appreciate the work of Oscar Araujo; you have to shift them.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #3923 on: October 06, 2013, 12:16:05 PM »
Jeff's right, besides Dracula's theme new theme is not meant to be battle music like SCV4's was. It's eerie and sets the tone for the game as it should, it definitely better than the epic LotR sounding main menu theme in LOS1.

Offline flyingchai

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
It's just his theme, which will occur again in other tunes throughout the game, much like the main theme did in LOS1.
Dracula's theme is heard again in "Return of Final Confrontation," but with a significantly different feeling to it.
This 2-minute piano version represents the tragic Dracula in a state of despair and without power.
The version in the "Return of Final Confrontation" belongs to the Dracula that's back at his Ultimate Badass state.

http://flyingchai.deviantart.com - My art here is usually CV inspired
http://www.twitter.com/flyingchai01 - Tweeting more and more lately

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
It's just his theme, which will occur again in other tunes throughout the game, much like the main theme in LOS1.
Dracula's theme is heard again in "Return of Final Confrontation," but with a significantly different feeling to it.
This 2-minute one represents Dracula in a state of despair, powerless, tragic.
The version in the final battle music belongs to a Dracula that's back at his Ultimate Badass state.

I really liked the chunk of it we hear in "Return of Final Confrontation". It added a little bit of flavor to the extremely bombastic Satan battle theme.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Pretty great melody on this music. :)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3927 on: October 06, 2013, 09:06:55 PM »
Jeff's right, besides Dracula's theme new theme is not meant to be battle music like SCV4's was.

I still don't consider it battle music, but that's just me. I dunno what the devs thought when they composed it.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
And it's actually the stage theme for the final flight of steps into the keep... I don't think that counts as a Boss theme. That's like counting Sigma's first form theme in X6 as Sigma's theme, when it's used in the stage right before the boss.

IMO Simon's theme is the real Dracula battle theme.

That's one thing that always sort of bothered me about SCIV. Such great music... But yet... It doesn't have an actual REAL boss theme for Dracula... It uses the intro/castle keep theme and then Simon's theme. What gives? they run out of money at the last minute on music?
SCIV isn't the only game to have done that. In fact, many CV Dracula incarnations have been given different themes for their different forms.
Among the more famous ones, there's Nothing to Lose and Black Night in CV, Dance of Illusions and Proof of Blood in CoTM, A Toccata into Blood Soaked Darkness - Metamorphosis to the Black Abyss of Death in CoD... And CV64 and LoD have a whole slew of them.

So it's far from being an isolated case.
As for SCIV, since Simon's Theme is, well, Simon's theme, it isn't hard to tell that Dracula Battle is Drac's "REAL" theme. And it plays throughout most of Simon's final battle.

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3929 on: October 07, 2013, 04:59:15 AM »
I still don't consider it battle music, but that's just me. I dunno what the devs thought when they composed it.

I think what they did there is tremendous: eerie side being Dracula’s theme, with the player also drawn back to and reminded of the prologue and Dracula's resurrection—the reason for the quest; Simon’s Theme: culmination of the adventure, and rather than Dracula being centre stage, it's Simon.  Dracula’s destruction is at hand.

anything