Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406213 times)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #4110 on: October 29, 2013, 09:49:22 AM »

I honestly don't understand what the issue is with QTE's. I've never minded them in anything. I think some people around here make way too big a deal out of them.

There are some people out there that will dismiss a game completely just because it has QTE's.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #4111 on: October 29, 2013, 01:09:49 PM »
There are some people out there that will dismiss a game completely just because it has QTE's.
For me, it ruins the game when you are playing, then a QTE pops up and if you don't do it right, you are penalized. And I mean split-second "press X NOW!" or fall off a cliff. If it's QTE like pressing X multiple of times to open a door or turn a crank, I don't mind because you are given time to do it without a harsh penalty. It just ruins my enjoyment and that's all it boils down to, enjoyment. If I can't fully enjoy a game I'm playing, what's the sense in playing it?

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
If I want to play a game with QTEs I'll go fucking play Dragon's Lair.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards

ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
There's no instance of use of QTE that couldn't be implemented as a cutscene at all. Even Shenmue. Even Dragon's Lair. It's simply ridiculously shallow. Make them optional doesn't cut it, they should get rid of this shit for eternity and forget that it even existed.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
I'm playing LOS2. It's incredible.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
There's no instance of use of QTE that couldn't be implemented as a cutscene at all. Even Shenmue. Even Dragon's Lair. It's simply ridiculously shallow. Make them optional doesn't cut it, they should get rid of this shit for eternity and forget that it even existed.

To be fair, if Dragon's Lair didn't have QTEs it would be a movie.

Whatever your opinion on QTEs, the point is to make non-interactive parts of the game (i.e. cutscenes) interactive, so saying that there's no instance of a QTE that couldn't be implemented as a cutscene kind of misses the point.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
To be fair, if Dragon's Lair didn't have QTEs it would be a movie.

Whatever your opinion on QTEs, the point is to make non-interactive parts of the game (i.e. cutscenes) interactive, so saying that there's no instance of a QTE that couldn't be implemented as a cutscene kind of misses the point.
But in Dragon's Lair, QTE's are part of the game, essentialy. They work just like prompts. They could make the game using prompts and ask what the player wanted to do. Like Visual Novels.

In modern games, it just frustates. If you get one wrong, you have to start all over again the scene. It's stupid, shallow and should die.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
Maedhros you seem really fired up about these QTE's. I'm getting this image in my head of you being really terrible at them and getting stuck in a game for hours on a QTE spot in some trivial part of a cinema...  :P

The only way I can rationalize your pure hatred for them is that they must be the bane of your video game existence. Hahaha. Do they really trip you up that much?

I think I've missed like 3 QTE's in my whole life. I could take or leave them, but they just don't bother me. I can understand someone thinking they enhance a cinema as much as I can understand someone considering them a minor annoyance. But it's hard for me to understand how anyone could feel so strongly about them one way or another.  :-\
The worst monsters are human.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
There's a reason I don't like Dragon's Lair. It's the same reason I never liked that Sega hologram game, Time Traveller. Though, to be completely fair, I also don't get enjoyment out of sports games. Again, for me, it's all about enjoyment.

Offline Asgardwolf

• Lord of the Lycans
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
I guess people complains about QTE`s on this game where wrothy for them.... QTE`s in LOS2 are danm easier than LOS and you can also turn them off... BTW the demo is awesome... the game seems way more difficult and faster than LOS. Better AI`s, combat should be face to face now due to the short range of the weapons... The whip lost a lot of range compared to the LOS Combat Cross, the combos looks the same for the whip but not as easy to combine now.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
But in Dragon's Lair, QTE's are part of the game, essentialy. They work just like prompts. They could make the game using prompts and ask what the player wanted to do. Like Visual Novels.

In modern games, it just frustates. If you get one wrong, you have to start all over again the scene. It's stupid, shallow and should die.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan.

I liked the way they did QTEs in Die Hard Arcade. If you pulled it off, great, now there's no rocket launcher dude. Oh, you failed? Well, here's a face full of rocket launcher dude

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards

What are your opinions on something like the Walking Dead game? Or Indigo Prophecy or Heavy Rain? I tend to hate QTEs most of the time but those games worked for me, especially Walking Dead.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
I like them. I think they add to the urgency or direness of a situation that would be lost if the game was entirely "make choice, watch consequences".

That's what I see as the benefit of QTEs, if used properly. They force split second decisions that result in consequences.

Bad QTEs can exist for a multitude of reasons, though. A lot of times they don't have real consequences, and exist merely as a button pressing rhythm game of sorts like some sort of password to complete a cutscene. Or if they are overly excessive for the action being performed, like mashing a button to open a chest. It shouldn't require out-of-game work to do something that simple.

It also doesn't help if they aren't representative of the actions you're performing (i.e. Press arbitrary 3 buttons to rip out liver) I mean, it wasn't exactly the example of a great QTE, but the boss finisher in Warhammer 40k: Space Marine at least had me pressing buttons that were significant to the overall game experience to beat the crap out of him, with the punch button punching, the chainsaw button chainsawing, and the stomp button stomping. I got to choose how he died, so if I wanted to do nothing but stomp and shoot him to death, I could.

I think the easiest "good QTE" to implement is the "mash button to free yourself" that shows up in tons of games, usually when you're turned to stone or ice or something of the like. Other QTEs require actual work, which is why we get so many bad ones, because developers use it as a way to get out of doing extra work.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:33:05 AM by e105beta »

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards

anything