Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406455 times)

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
Keep in mind that, while mecha and metal golems and such have been used in past Castlevania games very frequently....they were animated either by dark magics or possessed by baleful spirits. (Tin Man, Crazy Armor, Living Armor, etc.) They didn't have men in them, piloting them. Having mecha or power armor that is controlled by a human inside it paints a completely different picture than mecha or armor being controlled by ghosts or evil powers. By adding the humanizing element to the mix...it loses some of the foreboding uneasiness created by something supernatural or otherworldly. The theme shifts from gothic adventure to modern sci-fi. (and having a few futuristic weapons used to highlight the point "We're in the future!!!" in Aria of Sorrow is not the same)

That's why this is markedly different from previous games, and probably where most people will derive their ill-content from.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
....they were animated either by dark magics or possessed by baleful spirits. (Tin Man, Crazy Armor, Living Armor, etc.)

No... I don't know where you're getting that info... Tin man isn't possessed...

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I think the difference is context. In previous castlevania particularly the sorrow series, you weren't playing as the villain while in this game you are. So in this game since it is modern era you are fighting against Humans and in order for non human belmonts to up the game I think its fair they bring mechs. I don't expect the mechs to be major part of game just few enemy types.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Hopefully this is just a fucking placeholder image.

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
mercurysteam is just using the mech as practice for their Contra reboot

Not exactly. As I understand it, the robot is one of the bosses of one of the last levels, protects access to a very special building.
And it is also a wink to Kojima, LOS would not exist without him.
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Its gonna have a cross over with Metal Gear or Contra....!
XD LOL

Well, obviously it is a tribute to Kojima.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
mercurysteam is just using the mech as practice for their Contra reboot
Aahaha, exactly what I was thinking. It's got a serious Metal Gear vibe going on, but it looks like it would fit nicely into Contra as well.

...man I really hope they don't fuck that up. I'm afraid of them not making it a bullet hell/platformer like it should be.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
We got skeletons on motorcycles, maids with vacuum cleaners, and you're whinning about this? A single enemy? That looks great (as always, art direction is amazing) God that's why can't have nice things.

Everything comes full circle

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #4433 on: December 04, 2013, 10:04:00 AM »
There has also been chainsaw-wielding enemies

But I think the worry comes from people believing it will be totally out-of-context, which is understandable to the uninformed. but when you realize all the past references, and that it's an obvious homage to Kojima, and the fact that it's still just a piece of artwork we're judging & nothing more, then it becomes slightly less-shocking.

Offline Lilgigs

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
Well this is something "new":

https://twitter.com/CastlevaniaLOS/statuses/408247530699636736

Red mist for Gab/Drac.

If we don't get a powers video this Saturday at VGX, I will be disappointed.

Less than 3 months away:
- we haven't seen any real gameplay in the city
- powers besides the freeze on the void sword

I know they like to keep things secret but we really need some more info. Get people excited about the game, show off what it's about.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
We got skeletons on motorcycles, maids with vacuum cleaners, and you're whinning about this? A single enemy?
I hate to be the one to have to say it, but...

"NOT MUH CASTLEVANIUH"
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Darkweaver

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
So this is the last Castlevania game in the Lords of Shadow saga and MercurySteam's last Castlevania.  I hope that doesn't mean we're going to eventually get another reboot or that the series is dead after LoS2.  I want more games in the LoS universe now that they have it established.  It's a bit worrisome.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
I hate to be the one to have to say it, but...

"NOT MUH CASTLEVANIUH"

Don't lie. You loved saying it.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Well this is something "new":

https://twitter.com/CastlevaniaLOS/statuses/408247530699636736

Red mist for Gab/Drac.

If we don't get a powers video this Saturday at VGX, I will be disappointed.

Less than 3 months away:
- we haven't seen any real gameplay in the city
- powers besides the freeze on the void sword

I know they like to keep things secret but we really need some more info. Get people excited about the game, show off what it's about.
Uh, this isn't new, it's was shown in trailers and in the demo. Also, they don't show much to avoid spoilers (like they did with MoF), and we saw a little bit of the city in the E3 video (during the interviews before the trailer).

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Don't lie. You loved saying it.
heh you're right. That was satisfying as fuck

yknow, we've probably seen some pf the city without realizing it. I mean, they DID call it Castlevania City. supposedly they blended it with lots of cv feel
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

anything