Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406294 times)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Ironically, I haven't heard a single negative thing about the titans in this game.....yet.

I really do think it's because nobody has played very far into the game. It sounds like there's a lot of stealth early game, plus a Toy Maker demo that we know everyone played, but I have yet to hear ANYTHING about the rest of the game.

I'm not saying it to be "that guy" just that reviewers are historically notorious for not playing through an entire game, especially if it's 20+ hours long. Remember how many LoS1 reviews there were that went all "OMG IT'S ALL JUNGLE THIS GAME HAS NO CASTLE"? I do. Then two month's later the game is super good 85/100 game with weak early levels but a great mid/final section and by MoF's release it's suddenly some instant classic that Mirror of Fate just couldn't live up to.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:23:03 PM by e105beta »

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
If i were Konami, I'd be publishing some reviews like right now.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I'm not saying it to be "that guy" just that reviewers are historically notorious for not playing through an entire game, especially if it's 20+ hours long.

I can't remember where (it might have been from Sessler) but I've read that reviewers don't actually have to finish a game due to meeting certain deadlines. So they either rush through it or play just about enough to write a review about it and give it a score without even finishing it (or in some cases, let someone else finish the game while they watch).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:38:45 PM by Kingshango »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
I can't remember where (it might have been from Sessler) but I've read that reviewers don't actually have to finish a game due to meeting certain deadlines. So they either rush through it or play just about enough to write a review about it and give it a score without even finishing it (or in some cases, let someone else finish the game while they watch).

After reading the GameInformer review, that's exactly what it sounds like. Lots of metaphors, lots of bold statements, no reasons.

Offline Ascension

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
To me that's what it sounds like also.  A reviewer not playing a whole game and giving it scores is about the same as a movie critic watching just the first half of a movie, turning it off and scoring it, IMO.  Bad or good scores, I'm still excited for this game.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
I really don't care how well it does in reviews either. I'm just worried about the well being of my favorite franchise.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
I really don't care how well it does in reviews either. I'm just worried about the well being of my favorite franchise.

They're not entirely unrelated

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
A reviewer not playing a whole game and giving it scores is about the same as a movie critic watching just the first half of a movie, turning it off and scoring it, IMO.

to be fair, how many games are there that take an hour and a half/two hours to complete?

like previously said, there are certain deadlines in the industry that reviewers have to adhere to

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
to be fair, how many games are there that take an hour and a half/two hours to complete?

like previously said, there are certain deadlines in the industry that reviewers have to adhere to

Game isn't going to be out for 20 days. I work 40-50 hours a week and I'm sure I could beat the game well within that.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
you have to consider there are other games to review, too, each with varying deadlines, and everybody has different schedules. you cant expect a reviewer to sit down & professionally play through several 15-20 hour games straight, right lengthy reviews for each of them, while juggling every other aspect of their lives and function normally, all within a deadline

if you can do that then you must be some sort of saiyan from planet vegeta

Offline cerebralbore

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
 I don't cause worry the notes of some pages. Like the first LoS 1, many players left the game in the ice titan chapter (like my brother).

If I would have been a scaredy cat, my last vision of Zelda Ocarina of time would have been the steal castle's part, with the guards; it was difficult to me for my youth, but now I can said that it was the most funny stealth part that I have ever play in a game. Examples of stealth parts bad implement in a game: the stealth sections of Las of Us; I always must finish shoot and cane the enemies. ALWAYS !!

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
you have to consider there are other games to review, too, each with varying deadlines, and everybody has different schedules. you cant expect a reviewer to sit down & professionally play through several 15-20 hour games straight, right lengthy reviews for each of them, while juggling every other aspect of their lives and function normally, all within a deadline

if you can do that then you must be some sort of saiyan from planet vegeta

Professionals reviewing games have no time to professionally review games? Yes there are plenty of games coming out, but they also hire lots of people.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Then they should not call that a review but a quick look if you can't play through it all. Which is fun because Giant Bimb's quick looks are the best reviews around.

Everything comes full circle

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
well maybe they also gotta follow certain rules, which may say its not necessary for them to complete the game from start to finish or whatever, and they just do that to conserve time. i dont know and i dont think nobody here knows for sure, either. and its even more time-consuming if you have to review a game you dont really like, from a genre you dont like. like i said everyone has different schedules and tastes; there are very few people posting here that like or even tolerate the Madden franchise or sports games in general but if you were tasked to play through an entire season and right a lengthy review, covering all aspects, you might just be a little biased

im just offering a different point of view, is all

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
I know that there's not much to talk about until it actually comes out, but really? 3 pages dedicated to talking about reviews of the game? In today's shitty "professional" gaming journalism world that either A: hates things for changing,  B:are paid to hate/love a game, or C: hate it for not following trends?

Oh, or D: hate it because IT'S SEXIST! RAPE EVERYWHERE! THIS GAME IS RAPING ME BY EXISTING

Only reviewer I really listen to, and even then he's not a full time reviewer, is Johnny from Super Gaming Bros.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SomecallmeJohnny

he's pretty fair.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

anything