Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406053 times)

Offline cerebralbore

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
 Hands on of Gametrailers. Please, someone could make a summary? I don't understand too well the spoke english.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/hogbb9/thanks-for-playing--castlevania--lords-of-shadow-2-hands-on-discussion
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:14:08 AM by cerebralbore »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Hands on of Gametrailers. Please, someone could make a summary? I don't understand too well the spoke english.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/hogbb9/thanks-for-playing--castlevania--lords-of-shadow-2-hands-on-discussion

The general idea is that LoS2 is "weird" and not like traditional Castlevania in its thematic elements.

He cites the stealth as something very un-Castlevania, though he doesn't quite attack it as bad, just simplistic.

He also mentions the robot suits as bizarre, and says that the religious themes, i.e. God vs Satan and Angels vs Demons as something that seemed pretty weird to him.

He said he liked the combat and that there appeared to be a LOT of moves you can unlock, though worries the mastery system might force players to spam certain moves to unlock new moves.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Uuuuugh that's a TERRIBLE preview, a bunch of nerds saying durr durr we didn't see this coming this is surprising this doesn't seem plausible in the setting it's too crazy derp". I lost all hope if this is what itis going to be. This is not your typical AAA, assholes, it doesn't have to be what you EXPECT to be. Ugh.

The worst part is how they mock the game, like saying "this is so kiddy, robot voice hurr durr" that stupid smug face is always mocking the game, as if he could do better, or anything but being an armchair designer. Holy fuck, my ears hurt AND I want to punch someone.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:31:20 AM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline Slit_Zurifa

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
So any new discussions going on on 4chan?
Again I just ask because after my reply yesterday evening there are no new posts showing up on the thread linked here, the alst one being me asking for any Titans fights you encounter.

http://archive.foolz.us/v/thread/230940418/#q230949983

Thus I wonder if the discussion just stopped there and noone kept dropping in asking any new questions or if the link being entitled as "Archive" doesn't Show any new Posts.

If this is the case could anyone knowing that mess that is 4chan (at least for me never having been on this site before) explain to me how I might find further LoS 2 discussion?

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
I understand how having fans of the series review the games would be horrible. But it seems like anyone reviewing the game from IGN to gameinformer have no clue about the past of the series at all. All I hear is "God of War hur" and "Modern isnt Castlevania durrr"

Offline cerebralbore

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
Uuuuugh that's a TERRIBLE preview, a bunch of nerds saying durr durr we didn't see this coming this is surprising this doesn't seem plausible in the setting it's too crazy derp". I lost all hope if this is what itis going to be. This is not your typical AAA, assholes, it doesn't have to be what you EXPECT to be. Ugh.

The worst part is how they mock the game, like saying "this is so kiddy, robot voice hurr durr" that stupid smug face is always mocking the game, as if he could do better, or anything but being an armchair designer. Holy fuck, my ears hurt AND I want to punch someone.

You hit the target Ahasverus; 2 nerds guys (I and sure that one of them haven't social life) tie up with the past of the saga, still can't see that LoS is a reboot, not conected with IGA games. This kind of "profesionals reviewers" are who will fuck LoS 2 notes with coments like "God of War meet assassins creed and DmC". AWESOME...

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)

While there's precedent for the inclusion of robots in Castlevania, I can still kind of understand their reactions about the demon robot soldiers. It's new, and it's different, but then again so is the modern setting. If anything, it's impressive that I keep hearing that the modern outside doesn't even come off as being that modern.

What completely baffles me, though, is their reaction to the religious themes. It's goddamn Castlevania, of course there are going to be religious themes. And how is a flying paladin in golden armor any weirder than an Amalaric Sniper? That's not even the most bizarre enemy that's been in a Castlevania game.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
They act surprise, like as if the Lords of Shadow series an alternate series or something.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Ah, "professional" reviewers.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Honestly, that little preview sounded fair to me. Whenever I talk to my friends or other people about LoS they always bring up that it's not the Castlevania they're familiar with or particularly like.

One thing I have to agree with them is Mercury Steam not trusting the player enough, the on screen prompts always seem kinda "duhhh no shit" to me, and that's not an issue that's exclusive to just MS. It's a problem that's very rampant in a lot of video games today. Maybe it's because the devs really don't trust the player, or they're level design just isn't smart/clever enough for someone to look at and go "oh, I get it." It varies.

For a series that started off as a Barbarian whipping candles hunting B list horror movie monsters, "weird" is a fair assessment of LoS2.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:54:23 AM by OSM »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
I just do not get it. I really don't why can't cv be different? why is it that people call themself's reviewers. This game is going to fail because of lack of common sense. Why is it that not one of these reviewers/previewers not mention the history of the franchise you know 25+ years instead of saying wahh wahh it's not symphony or it's a God of war clone how can you be a fan of the series and say that it's... mmmm. Fools ruin a good thing and while sometimes all what you need is one bad seed, in this case it's a bunch of seeds that think they know but really, don't know anything and it's just completely baffling. and then there's the folks that accept their opinion as fact and pass it. This makes me sad how critics in gaming are really a pity. If I wanted to become a reviewer or previewer I should just jump in instead of watching the professionals because I would pose the possibility of becoming just as bad as them. 

Mind you I have not watched it but reading the comments here is just.... I gotta go see y'all later. I think you all feel what I feel.

Such a disappointment that people will destroy something and then mock it because it's different I wonder if this individual would mock megami tensei then? 
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline NagoriyukiSlayer

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Demonic robots fit Castlevania more than some of the enemies in SOTN on the Saturn. *looks at enemies in the Underground Garden*

Seriously, though, just because it's in the modern setting does not make it a bad game. Sounds like people are criticizing the game for not appealing to fans of the previous Castlevania games and for it being something that it isn't. Even if it is similar to God of War, (I haven't played GoW, for various reasons) a good reviewer would review the game based off of it's own merits, not what it's based off of or took inspiration from. As for the whole "game holds your hand" deal, they are letting you turn the tips off this time, something I am personally doing myself.

At this point, the whole "modern city, it's not Castlevania!" complaint is starting to sound like the hate that Metal Gear Rising gets due to it being a hack-n'-slash compared to previous Metal Gear outings. Castlevania Lords of Shadow is not the same as the Castlevania that people saw in 1997. Mercurysteam's take on Castlevania is it's own, separate thing from Konami and IGA's takes on Castlevania. They should have reviewed it as such. I know that's how I'd review it.

I was going to watch the video, but I was busy with some stuff, and the comments seem to sum up what the reviewers are saying fairly well.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Keep in mind that previews are only meant to share a few personal impressions, and don't constitute a professional critique. So in essence, those "nerd guys" aren't any less justified in their opinions then we are.  It's also hardly surprising to see someone describe LoS2 as "weird"; by any Castlevania standard, Lords of Shadow is very weird indeed.

As the GI appreciation, I'll grant you that a 6/10 review is hardly a good way to start the cycle, but I'd wait until LoS2 actually comes out before starting to "durr-durr" my way through it. No one will be able tell how accurate the score is until the game is released, so it's pointless to start complaining early.

Incidentally, those angry people who insist on calling LoS a God of War clone aren't as unreasonable as you'd think; you can't reduce this CV subseries to a fit of plagiarism, but you also can't deny that Lords borrows heavily from other successful franchises -- God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, and Devil May Cry among others. It's a very thin line to tread, anyhow; few modern hack n'slash games can escape the inevitable GoW comparison.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
So any new discussions going on on 4chan?
Again I just ask because after my reply yesterday evening there are no new posts showing up on the thread linked here, the alst one being me asking for any Titans fights you encounter.

http://archive.foolz.us/v/thread/230940418/#q230949983

Thus I wonder if the discussion just stopped there and noone kept dropping in asking any new questions or if the link being entitled as "Archive" doesn't Show any new Posts.

If this is the case could anyone knowing that mess that is 4chan (at least for me never having been on this site before) explain to me how I might find further LoS 2 discussion?
that site is an archive. of course no new posts appear.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
I find it funny how people want a game named "CASTLEVANIA" to not be judged by the standards of what a CASTLEVANIA game is.

Want to create your own game and have it judged by the premise it proposes without comparisons being made? Please, create your own IP.

Castlevania LoS "is" a Castlevania game (haha). Thus, expect a lot of lines to be drawn from it to the originals. If it fails to be a Castlevania game, expect it to be pointed out. And this game fails miserably at being a Castlevania, from the soundtrack to the plot.

However, it succeeds immensely as a Lords of Shadow game. A shame it is called "Castlevania". It WILL be judged as a Castlevania.

What...? "Reboot"? Please tell me how saying the word "reboot" allows you to do whatever the hell you wish to any game you want, like "rebooting" Mario and changing everything you ever knew about the game just because you said "reboot". This is no excuse.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:05:43 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

anything