Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406018 times)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
The sudden turnaround in this thread suprises me. What happend to all reviewers are hacks?

I wonder if Rugal feels vindicated.

I honestly wondered the same thing earlier today.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
its just a shame that even if the stealth segments are few & far between, theyre annoying enough that almost every review ive read hasnt described them in any positive light.

This guy liked them, but I've concluded he's a freak:
http://zedgamesau.net/reviews-2/castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-preview

The sudden turnaround in this thread suprises me. What happend to all reviewers are hacks?

Does it really surprise you? Haven't things always been this volatile?

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
If its any consolation, hopefully Konami will recognize the error of their ways and stop outsourcing Castlevania to shitty devs like MS.
What? They will relegate it tp bargain bin, it won't surprise me if the next developers are Zynga.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Dude, hammer the stealth all you want. I don't really give two shits because it probably won't hamper my experience all that much, and if you think it'll kill some sort of upcoming trend, all the more power to you.

I just think it's disingenuous to downrate an entire game based on a segment that is supposedly 10% of the game, if even that. 7/10? Sure. 4/10? Nah...

I'm just not seeing how these reviews are lining up with the LoS1 reviews. Aside from the stealth, it seems to be bringing up all the same issues, while noting that the combat and boss battles, the focus of the game, has improved greatly, and aside from Edge, everyone has been praising the graphics. Yet LoS1 got largely positive reviews, and people are slamming LoS2 for the same stuff, yet it's getting far, far worse reviews because "lolbadstealth". To warrant a 50% drop in quality, that stealth better be buttfucking awful.

Like, I should want to take it up the rear rather than play through it.

I understand what you mean. I am not saying the stealth is clearly so bad it docks the game this heavily, as I'm sure there is more to it. But I do think it's telling that a small element of the game has yet to be praised, and only highlighted as perhaps the worst thing about it thus far.

If its any consolation, hopefully Konami will recognize the error of their ways and stop outsourcing Castlevania to shitty devs like MS.

What is Silent Hill? :3c

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Now im really curious to see the stealth segment with Agreus, just to see how bad it is.

I don't even think the titan fights in LOS1 got THIS much shit.

I wonder if Rugal feels vindicated.

If I had to guess, this is how he's feeling right now:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:31:07 AM by Kingshango »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
so who here is gonna upload the soundtrack to youtube already? im waiting

Offline cerebralbore

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)

¿Que significa exactamente "shitty devs"?

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
I understand what you mean. I am not saying the stealth is clearly so bad it docks the game this heavily, as I'm sure there is more to it. But I do think it's telling that a small element of the game has yet to be praised, and only highlighted as perhaps the worst thing about it thus far.

It's probably terrible. I have little doubt of that. I get that the idea of vampire glamour and trickery is cool, but I have no idea why MercurySteam put it in. It has no place in a HnS, and it has no origin in the history of Castlevania.

But if the stealth is the worse thing about it, then good, because I expect the stealth to be bad. How about the combat? Is that good? Apparently it is, but let's focus on how the stealth isn't.

As someone who uses reviews to get an idea of what he's getting into before playing a game, I'm frustrated that these reviews lack any real value. They focus primarily on the bad side features and not the admittedly good core features. I mean, yeah, the game as a whole might actually be bad, but that's not what I'm seeing in the review.

The only other legitimate complaint I'm seeing is the pacing, which I would understand a bit more if it was longer than LoS1, but since it's clocking in at about the same amount of time, I wish they would go into more detail about WHY the pacing is so much worse in LoS2.

It's like all of the fan reactions to Mass Effect 3. Yes, that ending was pretty bad, and it definitely wasn't what I was looking forward to, but to say Mass Effect 3 ruined the series because of it would be stupid because the game itself was pretty phenomenal. 2 years out, when I think of the game, I don't think of the ending, I think of the 98% of the game that was really frikkin' awesome. I guess it's a good thing that reviewers typically don't finish games in that case :P

so who here is gonna upload the soundtrack to youtube already? im waiting

I already converted everything to MP3.  I can do it when I get home from work.

Offline Asgardwolf

• Lord of the Lycans
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
I don`t know if im asking too much but if you can share a torrent with the ost it would be awesome

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
I don`t know if im asking too much but if you can share a torrent with the ost it would be awesome

I would, but I do not have the upload bandwidth to seed it. Sorry.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
I'll fp it, give me a few hours.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
What if MercurySteam day 1 patched out the stealth?

Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
The irony that Lords 1 was supervised by the maestro of stealth, Mr. Hideo "Metal Gear" Gillian Kojima.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Ahasverus, what happened to you? One second you were touting LoS2's infinite merits and complaining about unprofessional reviews, the next you're lamenting Konami's choice in choosing MercurySteam as a developer. I've never been so completely confused in my life. Did Rugal steal your account? Is he forcing you at gunpoint to write these lines?

People, the game hasn't yet been released -- why is this entire forum giving up hope all of sudden because two leaked reviews were supposedly negative? They may very well be accurate, but at this point they hardly constitute what you could call a general consensus. Why don't we wait at least until official reviews are actually written before starting to complain?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:31:40 AM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.