Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406102 times)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
What I find funny is that Gabriel still takes Zobek's advice after all this time.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
I really don't like how much this game holds your hand, and the factory is painfully generic looking. Oscar's score made me feel like I was watching an Arkham sequel.

After meeting with Trevor though it felt like Castlevania again. Well, as "Castlevania" LoS can get, I mean.

They made it way too obvious Zobek's guard is Alucard in disguise.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:40:16 AM by OSM »

Offline flyingchai

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
I really don't like how much this game holds your hand

The game only holds your hand when it's the first time Dracula uses a particular power.
It just seems like a lot of hand holding because...there are a lot of powers to get acquainted with in just the first hour.

And since we've already seen via recent gameplay footage how some players just totally suck, it's kind of understandable why the initial use hand holding to show the player how to use a power is appropriate.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:46:55 AM by flyingchai »
http://flyingchai.deviantart.com - My art here is usually CV inspired
http://www.twitter.com/flyingchai01 - Tweeting more and more lately

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Yeah i certainly can't blame them. I think those visual cues can be turned off right?

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Yeah i certainly can't blame them. I think those visual cues can be turned off right?

The text telling you to come back later? Yep but only on prince of darkness.

The glowing and the camera stopping you dead in it's tracks to show you where you can and cannot go at this time? Nope.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
After watching that whole video, I REALLY don't see what the problem that everyone (i.e. GI and Edge) seems to have with this.

The combat looks worlds better than the first, especially in the way that you're now clearly allowed to fight in the air without getting instantly fly-swatted.

The stealth seemed simple enough, and story-wise it is completely explained.

The platforming looked better than LoS1's, mostly speeding it up.

The voice acting was no better or worse than LoS1.

The graphics look fine. Environments are detailed and beautiful and the particle effects look appropriately toned down.

I'll be disappointed if this does poorly because of the reviews. As someone who loved Lords of Shadow, this looks way better.

The game only holds your hand when it's the first time Dracula uses a particular power.
It just seems like a lot of hand holding because...there are a lot of powers to get acquainted with in just the first hour.

And since we've already seen via recent gameplay footage how some players just totally suck, it's kind of understandable why the initial use hand holding to show the player how to use a power is appropriate.

Spainkiller did say that the hand-holding ends, and like you say, while we're all pro-gamers here on Castlevania Dungeon, obviously that does not hold true for everyone.

I mean, the beginning explained to this guy in no short terms how to sync-block, and yet he clearly has no idea how to do it.

Offline cerebralbore

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)

Another video, this time from IGN abut the bosses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUrmEMLwCFI

I don't have seen it so, I dont know if contain too much spoiler or the number of bosses that appear.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
The family cene had good voice acting.

Offline cerebralbore

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)

After seeing the 2 parts of the gameplay videos, I only can say that a nerd and useless reviewer-gamer can fuck a total enjoyable game like this and with his absurd experience, try to make that another games don't enjoy the game (don't buy I mean).

The gameplay is really fine and fun, I am secure that this guy showing the gameplay will be a great movement for Konami, MS and the sales of the game.

Pharrell Williams - Happy (Official Music Video)

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
For people who don't care about reviews, you guys seems to focused on dissing them every time you can huh?

Why don't you guys just, you know, forget the reviews?

I'm definitely not getting this game on the first day. Garbage bin price for me (steam sales).

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Yep, that last guy's video cemented my fate, stealth is a non issue and the game seems as fun as LoS1, if anything the only negative I see is the monochrome night palette but I haven't seen the full game hopeufully some variety comes into play later. This looks like the sequel to LoS alright, and I'm excited again.
Also, the guy of the video said in a comment that he's really really liking the game even though he is a hardcore action gamer.

For people who don't care about reviews, you guys seems to focused on dissing them every time you can
I'm definitely not getting this game on the first day. Garbage bin price for me (steam sales).
Will you leave this thread and every LoS2 realted now until you play it?

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Honestly, the worst part of the game is the greek guy down in the bottom right hand corner that talks throughout the whole thing.

I hope MercurySteam took him out for the final version

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Quote from: Big The Cat
Honestly, the worst part of the game is the greek guy down in the bottom right hand corner that talks throughout the whole thing.

are you sad to experience gabriels tragedy all this time

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
are you sad to experience gabriels tragedy all this time

So very sad

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)

Not for nothin' but it seems like you mention IGA more than anyone else most of the time.
Because I've seen the majority of people who complain about the LoS series, and the majority are people who whine about Konami making LoS and "why can't we just get more metroidvanias"

many people who were either just ok with them or disliked them, were quite a few of LoS1's supporters. Since the game does away with many of the elements that became series staples with IGA, (metroid style open world confined to the castle, pretty boys, gimmick driven gameplay, SoTN multiple weapon gameplay) and returns to more traditional elements, (linear point A to point B level progression, macho "manly" Belmont, location variety- the castle is not the entire game, several classic locations, whip gameplay, which became rare in IGA's games- only 2 of his 7 castlevania games have a main character who is a whip user... This is not counting Judgement- which is a spin off fighting game and not a main series entry.) it becomes more of a classivania in overall structure.

Which, design story and art direction aside, turned off many people, particularly the kind of CV fans who entered the series during IGA's run, and consider metroidvania their favorite CV style.

That's why I say that. I mean, IGA pretty much owns the Metroidvania style. Which is a pretty impressive accomplishment in itself, actually.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

anything