Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406171 times)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
I like MoF combos and Platforming, but I want it in SotN and DS formula. Imagine playing SotN with Comboes with different weapons and hanging off ledges and wall jumping but without the slow pace MoF presented.
What, you mean the vertical shimmying from ledge to ledge? No thank you.

And combos, I wouldn't mind seeing them in a 2D CV, but the whole "tank enemies" thing has to go. It works in 3D CVs, but that's something that, unless you plan on doing a CV BEU in the vein of Final Fight, Double Dragon, or more fitting, Golden Axe and the Capcom Dungeons & Dragons games, there's no point. Enemies should be like the ones already presented in the Metroidvanias from SotN to OoE, of varying strength and difficulty, depending on how far you go into the game. The enemies in early on(particularly low level enemies) like Zombies and Skeletons should ALWAYS be taken down in a few hits(one or two at most), armors can take more damage, and then you go one with other enemies that are more durable. I actually think, playing the new Strider, it kinda does a good job as far as enemies are concerned. It isn't about pure fighting(no combos, as far as I've seen), but low level grunts can be dispatched with a simple slash, others you need to charge your attack to break their shields, and larger robots take multiple attacks. That type of balance is something you need in CV, IMO. 

Though as far as things I'd love to see return to 2D CVs, REALLY want SCV4's whip swing to make a come back. THAT should be more of a mainstay in this series(2D and 3D). Lots of physics based swinging action would be super awesome!

Offline Eärendil

• ♪♫ Bucketbot ♪♫
  • Hunter in Training
  • Aiya Eärendil elenion ancalima!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Though as far as things I'd love to see return to 2D CVs, REALLY want SCV4's whip swing to make a come back. THAT should be more of a mainstay in this series(2D and 3D). Lots of physics based swinging action would be super awesome!

Harmony of Dissonance had the whip swinging action, if I'm not mistaken. That was a very underrated game, btw. It was actually my favorite on the GBA. Anyway, I'm not so sure we'll ever see a new 2D or 2.5D platformer released on major console or PC from Konami again. It just seems like the business model is to tap into as much mainstream as possible to get the most revenue. And 3D games are the best way to do that now. Perhaps there will still be future 2D or 2.5D castlevania made for handhelds or tablets/phones. It seems like anything impressively new in the 2D/2.5D platform vein may not even come from Konami, but as unofficial or independent fans creations for download on your PC. I think the next major castlevania release from Konami will be another reboot of the franchise or current generation consoles or PC. I don't believe, as some, that they'll delve back into the LOS version of castlevania again. A new major castlevania release may even revisit the original classic castlevania ala Simon Belmont. I just don't know if it will be anytime soon. Not to be a debbie downer, but I can even see Konami shelving the franchise for 3 to 4 years before even attempting another major game.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:05:09 PM by Eärendil »
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge. --Tyrion Lannister, from George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Well, the hope for a 2D CV game is in a digital copy, right? Like the Rebith one. And with great 2D classics like Ducktales and Strider, there is a light of hope for a 2D game, I think...
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
actually harmony of dissonance doesnt have the 8-way whipping mechanic like super castlevania iv; Juiced juste had the whip flail technique juste like Richiter had in symphony of night

the 8-way whipping was only revisited in harmony of Despair, with Julian belmont
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:17:36 PM by crisis »

Offline Eärendil

• ♪♫ Bucketbot ♪♫
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Well, the hope for a 2D CV game is in a digital copy, right? Like the Rebith one. And with great 2D classics like Ducktales and Strider, there is a light of hope for a 2D game, I think...

Well, technically, Mirror of Fate HD is that, even if it's just a polished over re-release port of the DS. And that'll also eventually be on PC I suppose. But yeah, Castlevania Rebirth was nice and so was Harmony of Despair, but those aren't considered major console releases are they? I'm referring to major releases such as Symphony of the Night, Lament of Innocence, Curse of Darkness, Judgement (ugh..), Lords of Shadow, etc...

actually harmony of dissonance doesnt have the 8-way whipping mechanic like super castlevania iv; Juiced juste had the whip flail technique juste like Richiter had in symphony of night

the 8-way whipping was only revisited in harmony of Despair, with Julian belmont

Oh yes, the flailing of the whip. Thanks!
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge. --Tyrion Lannister, from George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
yor welcome. Would you like to inherit my Castlevania collection?

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
Well it seems things have taken a turn for the better slightly and I have not spoiled anything for me except the holy DBZ blast that Sh!T was awesome  :D

And I knew that stealth was not that bad or bad enough to destroy the whole game I mean come on! Don't lose the faith and follow you own gut.

You and me gut together forever solving crimes and making up rhymes  ;)
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Thy Gory Rory

• Hunter in Training
  • ...I'm holding my sausage hostage!
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
A lot of ups and downs in this thread over the past couple of weeks but LoS2 is looking quite promising. I've always been psyched and recently in anticipation/preparation I've been going back through LoS and clearing all the chapters in Paladin mode. I wish Lords 2 here in the US had an $80 limited collector's edition like last time. Some of the pre-order bonuses are kinda okay but I harken back to the days when you get figurines, soundtracks, art books or even a t-shirt (like last time...)

Offline Eärendil

• ♪♫ Bucketbot ♪♫
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Would you like to inherit my Castlevania collection?

Am I entitled? I mean, sure, I would like to inherit your collection.  :D

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Hey guys, anyone here from the old LoS1 thread remembers a certain intervew in japanese that was posted ion the (now defunct) LoS1 Japan website where IGA and David Jaffe talked? Or did I dream it?

Everything comes full circle

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Hey guys, anyone here from the old LoS1 thread remembers a certain intervew in japanese that was posted ion the (now defunct) LoS1 Japan website where IGA and David Jaffe talked? Or did I dream it?

I recall reading that interview in that thread and yes it does exist.

But I'll be damned if im going through that LOS1 thread looking for it.

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
I LOVE YOU

Everything comes full circle

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
Not dead.

http://www.konami.jp/castlevania/jp/official/voices/index.html
google translate

Why the heck is that only in japanese? I bet if this was in english it would shut up almost ever person who says this is a gow rip off why!?

has the volkov fight been put up yet?

Crazy Bosses in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

A lot of ups and downs in this thread over the past couple of weeks but LoS2 is looking quite promising. I've always been psyched and recently in anticipation/preparation I've been going back through LoS and clearing all the chapters in Paladin mode. I wish Lords 2 here in the US had an $80 limited collector's edition like last time. Some of the pre-order bonuses are kinda okay but I harken back to the days when you get figurines, soundtracks, art books or even a t-shirt (like last time...)

Been a while since I've seen you you're the person that made the custom Richter sprite way back when right? How you've been?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:33:17 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
i will say this, an original metroidvania in the style of order of Ecclesia with the graphics of MoF would be awesome and just what the 3DS needs

altho i DO miss my beloved hand-drawn sprites

Ehh... If it had more framerate sure.

And more stuff to jump on/avoid getting crushed by. OoE's extra challenge tower had it so beautifully right compared to the rest of the game.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:19:12 PM by Munchy »