Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406203 times)

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #7215 on: February 24, 2014, 05:33:37 PM »
(click to show/hide)

I am afraid that is:
(click to show/hide)
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #7216 on: February 24, 2014, 05:34:20 PM »
I am afraid that is:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 05:38:58 PM by OSM »

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7217 on: February 24, 2014, 05:43:24 PM »
I agree except for:

2.5D is great. I wouldn't mind that at all.

I don't really see a problem with having similar combat to God of War. I still don't understand the outcry on this one. THough you're asking for 2D gameplay anyway, so it's kind of a moot point either way.

I don't mind the exploration style, just lay off the RPG elements a bit. Lament was perfect in that you gained equipment, not level ups.

Just a brief reply from my perspective, and maybe it's redundant based on things I've said in the past:

1.) I wouldn't mind 2.5D as one format as long as it's done right with "pixel"-perfect jumping and hit detection (ala New Super Mario Bros). The DXC felt a bit off in that regard. Visual tricks like the river stage are very welcome, however.

2.) Now, as for the God of War combo combat problem, it ruins the action-platforming flow necessary in a classic Castlevania game, 2D or 3D. It becomes more about pre-set combos and dodges than player ingenuity mixing different attacks together while moving around the enemy. It also encourages tank-like enemies that slow the game down unnecessarily, and prevents jumping/platform combat, as you start into a combo every time you attack, thus making you susceptible to narrow death pits. Finally, it reduces the importance of sub-weapons to complement your attacks.

EDIT: This is the bare bones of what an ideal boss battle flow for Castlevania in 3D should be like, from LoD: Medusa: Castlevania Legacy of Darkness - Medusa (Carrie - Hard)
Grim Reaper: Castlevania Legacy of Darkness - Death (Reinhardt - Hard)

Carrie's fight is slightly distorted here because she has her magic powered up to max, which slows down some of Medusa's attacks--though, she eventually gets those off, as you see the result. Regardless, what you see here that's different and better than GoW or LoS is it's not a check/checkmate kind of fighting, where its input set button combo for maximum damage, dodge roll, come back and repeat. It is organic, moving around with your control stick, sticking in short attacks when there is an opening like in classic Castlevania. You can do a lot of different tricks, too, including the usage of various sub-weapons to differect effects, or mix in slides and close-quarters slashes while jumping at the enemy. Same for the fight with Death. It feels a lot faster and much less robotic than God of War. That's the best I can explain it right now. One less specific way of saying it is there's not a separation between the boss battles and the main gameplay of fighting and platforming; they flow into one another naturally for whatever you need to do.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 05:53:47 PM by RichterB »

Offline Mike Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7218 on: February 24, 2014, 05:45:48 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Yes, you are right, but I can think of anyone...

"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7219 on: February 24, 2014, 06:27:37 PM »
Yes, you are right, but I can think of anyone...

They'll probably throw in somebody new, or an enemy from the old timeline.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
So Ahasverus, there's or not real platforming sections on this game, now that you finished?
There are far more than LoS1, but shyiming is still the main traversal platfforming. that being said, controls and collision issues are mostly addressed. And I think there won't be a sequel. Spiritual sequel maybe (a new reboot with polished LoS gameplay). The ending is conclusive.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:30:06 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline Mike Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7221 on: February 24, 2014, 06:29:40 PM »
They'll probably throw in somebody new, or an enemy from the old timeline.

I prefer a totally new character. Serioulsy, I want to LoS mantains as a spinoff saga.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
The ending is conclusive.
(click to show/hide)

That´s not the Dracula I remember :(.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
That´s not the Dracula I remember :(.
I remember him a bit like that in the ending of SOTN, while dying though.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I remember him a bit like that in the ending of SOTN, while dying though.

You are right. I think is because he is refering to his wife and his son. But apart of that, I cannot remember other situation like that...

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
There are far more than LoS1, but shyiming is still the main traversal platfforming. that being said, controls and collision issues are mostly addressed. And I think there won't be a sequel. Spiritual sequel maybe (a new reboot with polished LoS gameplay). The ending is conclusive.
(click to show/hide)
I would like a prequel where you play as the founders. they could go full CV3 mode with it.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
@Ahasverus

so u must have died only a handful of times from start to finish? or is it still a lil bit moderately difficult while playing on easy mode  ;)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
question:

I'm going to insta turn off QTE's.

if im doing that, should I turn the difficulty to hard to compensate?

im not sure on it. QTE's are usually the brunt of the difficulty in these games, since they are split second timing things, and turning them off feels like easymode. but I also dont want to go balls deep into hard mode and fuck myself over in combat as well
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
im most likely gonna leave it on normal while QTE's are off then work my way up, that way the game will be more satisfying after all those challenging battles

i really think the reason most ppl that got the game early that beat it so early with little effort mainly for bragging rights lol. theres no way these guys are revealing everything about the game so early if they were playing thru it on normal or hard. either that or the game is just stupidly simple no matter what difficulty is on

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Totally agree with you, @Kinshango. Castlevania deserves a return to its roots.

To this far, and after spoiled myself almost everything, and after seen a few videos, and after all these years of LoS lore, I prefer to consider this saga as a spinoff of Castlevania, because you play as the main antagonist of it: Dracula. I want to play as a true blooded Belmont (not a Cronqvist bastard).

And I do not consider LoS 2 as a metroidvania, neither a SoTN 2.0. To me, metroidvania belongs to 2D, like Super Metroid or SoTN. Calling Darksiders and Arkham games metroidvanias is strange for me... And if LoS 2 is a SoTN 2.0 in terms of great sales, yes, is a SoTN 2.0...

You know, this is the only comment that rustles my jimmies anymore.

There's nothing more "true blooded" about Leon Belmont or any of the original canon Belmonts than Gabriel Belmont or any of the LoS Belmonts. At some point, Leon had an ancestor with no last name, and someone called him "Belmont" and thus the Belmont last name was born. Same thing in LoS.

anything