Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406107 times)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I was never crazy about any Dracula origin story to begin with... But this sounds like a fun idea, if only because being set in a Demon Realm would essentially force developers to come up with some outlandish and freaky locales.

So if anyone sets out to buy LoS2 tomorrow, here are my two questions at this point-

Is the 360 version still two discs?

Can tutorial texts be turned off? (ie, those saying "You can't access this area now, come back later" or "Press R2 to expunge the phalanges" etc etc)

1. 360 version is single disc

2. Text hints can be turned off and are unavailable on the hardest difficulty. However you'll still have to deal with the camera stopping you to show you where to go and the glowing bits.

Offline Slit_Zurifa

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Guys again, it would be awesome if there would be discussion about Lords of Shadow 2, about contents of the game etc and not about new IGA games. Don't know why it is discussed to death in this thread. I am not against IGA isucssions, but please not in this thread.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
Guys again, it would be awesome if there would be discussion about Lords of Shadow 2, about contents of the game etc and not about new IGA games. Don't know why it is discussed to death in this thread. I am not against IGA isucssions, but please not in this thread.
Welcome to the Castlevania Dungeon Forums, enjoy your stay.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
1. 360 version is single disc

2. Text hints can be turned off and are unavailable on the hardest difficulty. However you'll still have to deal with the camera stopping you to show you where to go and the glowing bits.

Ooh! Both are very good things! Not that I've decided which version to buy or even if I'm going to buy it any time soon, but that makes the choice much easier. Earth Defense Force 2025 may have to take priority for now.

I wonder what was different between the first one and the second that it was able to fit on one DVD?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 12:19:01 AM by Munchy »

Offline Slit_Zurifa

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Gametrailer: 8.3
Gamespot: 7
Ign: 6.5

I copied this text from a gamfaqs topic:

"Surprise, they don't like it.

Footnotes:

-the reviewer gets hung up on the stealth sections
-talks about god of war a lot
-complains about the city in particular not being gothic or interesting enough
-right after posts a stunning vista of the city that says "absolutely beautiful",
-later in the review the visuals and environments are praised for being gothic
-Vague complaints about the story
-complaining about modern enemies
-gushes about the "open" world structure to the point where the score doesn't seem quite right
-outright refers to the original LoS as "stellar"  "

Well, they didn't like the first LoS either so that's okay/ nothing unexpected. The Gamespot score isn't actually that bad, better than I expected. The Gametrailers score is outright great.

Offline Little Dracula

• Castlemaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
A lot of reviews coming right now, some people like it, some people don't and some people were drunk because their text makes zero sense. I have the feeling that some media outlets have a hidden agenda no matter if the game is good or bad.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
An important French gaming website gave the game a 16/20. http://www.jeuxvideo.com/articles/0001/00019373-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-test.htm#infos

Conclusion (from the X360/PS3 version):

Good points
- Good design... (1)
- Great battle system
- Epic bosses
- Fabulous OST
- Non-linear adventure
- Length is very good, especially if you go for 100%

Bad points
- (1) but some sci-fi environments didn't work well
- Environments are less diverse than in the first one
- Not perfect on a technical point of view
- Loading is sometimes long (which is stupid, as they said in the main test that loading wasn't a problem...)
- Teleportation system is bad
- Some gameplay sequences are overused (maybe stealth, but they liked it)
- The camera is sometimes blocked in some small places

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
For fuck's sake, LinusBelmont, stop spamming all those reviews... Plus you don't have them all, and it's just fucking annoying. Grow up and come back in 10 years (or don't).

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
I don't mind seeing reviews but could you tone down the emoticons? They're an eye sore.

Offline Slit_Zurifa

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Linus,
If you are going to post about the review scores, please use the modify button (to keep the reviews in one reply) if the thread is still on that page. Too many review scores on a page makes it look ugly and might deter people from posting their comments.
You may want to start a new post regarding the review scores if the thread is already on the next page.

--------------
Now back to the discussion on LOS2.
I've watched the ending. I didn't like it.
I'll just wait for those who have the game to say their comments.

As for the future of the series... I don't know what would happen.
Well, I was actually looking at the Konami's Consolidated Financial Results for 2013. And there was only one mention of Castlevania. They seem to focus more on other things.
Anyway, here's the report for those who are interested.
http://www.konami.co.jp/zaimu/2014/0206/en_mh2txw.pdf

Offline NagoriyukiSlayer

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
@LinusBelmont

In other developments, for those of you who have the PC version of LOS2, is it possible to mod the game? As in, does it come with development tools to make mods ala Unreal Tournament? Just curious.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
In other developments, for those of you who have the PC version of LOS2, is it possible to mod the game? As in, does it come with development tools to make mods ala Unreal Tournament? Just curious.
If you find a way to reimport files into a .packed file, I'll make a music mod for the game.

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Eurogamer awarded a 5.  I feared they would corroborate the Edge score . . .

The ferocity of the combat - it's bluntly realised at times, but it's undeniably potent - means that Lords of Shadows 2 is a little more fun over the long term than its many failings might suggest. It's generally a pleasant enough way to fritter away 15 or 20 hours, but you're unlikely to see anything new or distinct, or even to experience the panoramic opulence the original adventure provided.

The CVG review seems brutally honest despite the high mark they've awarded.

LoS2 feels closer to Metroid Prime than Symphony of the Night ... Drac even gets his own morph ball, with the power to possess rats and scuttle through vents.

Cutscenes yank him between locations, serving up the world as self-contained segments that give little impression of a cohesive whole.

The rubbish map screen only has two settings: 'microscopic room detail' or 'looking down from space'.

we know a loading screen when we see one. Especially when we see one every four minutes.

automated platforming ... Wonky world building and platforming so wooden

Castlevania City doesn't hang together organically ... this is a linear world pretending to be open.

lack the speed of God of War and the depth of a Platinum brawler

Offline LinusBelmont

• Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (PS2)
Lords of Shadow 2 - Reviews from all around the world
_______________________________________ _____

gametrailers.com 8.3

es.ign.com (Spain) 7.9

ign benelux 8.3

officialplaystationmagazine.co... 8

PlaystationUniverse.com 9

GamesBeat 8

psx-sense.nl 8.0

theaveragegamer.com Great

gamepro.de 85 / 100

videogameszone.de 79 %