Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406187 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
I had a thought on the final two bosses...

You know what would have been an amazing finale?

(click to show/hide)
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
From that article:
In Mercury Steam you had had a previous path Castlevania obviously ... But was there any person, or you were a number, in the study that you were fans of Castlevania?

Alvarez: No, I particularly, no. Obviously any game that claims to know must be tested saga, like many other things, and this was my case. I knew the saga had played, but to paraphrase an English expression was not my cup of tea. At that time he was engaged in PC games, Quake, strategy games ... Another story, come on. The study had important people who themselves were absolute fans of the series and could take advantage of all this knowledge and all this sensitivity to pull ahead.
Konami... smdh

Why would you pick someone who had zero interest in the series to begin with? No wonder LoS1 was a GoW ripoff. Now I'm just getting upset reading all of this and suddenly seeing all these dots connect even more.

Offline Trevelyan

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
From that article:Konami... smdh

Why would you pick someone who had zero interest in the series to begin with? No wonder LoS1 was a GoW ripoff. Now I'm just getting upset reading all of this and suddenly seeing all these dots connect even more.

From a financial point of view, I can sort of understand it.  If you're familiar with Star Trek, a similiar thing happened.  Director J.J Abrams said he was "never a Star Trek fan", and he made a really successful reboot film (and a second one that had a lot of problems, with less good reception, sound familiar?)

The first one worked exactly how Konami wanted it, and for all we know, 2 might have sold great aswell (but seems unlikely)

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
By the way guys but the fact that art director left makes sense a lot. The enemy design and variety really is poor in this game. LOS1 and Mirror of Fate had way more interesting enemy variety. The ones here I think someone in this forum said is as medicore as Curse of Darkness

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
I had a thought on the final two bosses...

You know what would have been an amazing finale?

(click to show/hide)

To an extent that fixes it, but something still needs to be done about the
(click to show/hide)
Trite lines aside, no game should actually leave me asking that if it's supposed to be the conclusion. I'm tired of "artists" feeding me these bullshit lines about "interpreting my own ending" when really they just don't know how to write a fucking ending. I'm playing your story to experience a story. If I wanted to create my own, I'd go write fan-fiction.

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
So guys I am at the point where
(click to show/hide)
Should I lower my expectations at this point or raise them now I am at final stretch.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
So guys I am at the point where
(click to show/hide)
Should I lower my expectations at this point or raise them now I am at final stretch.

The upcoming part is pretty lackluster, but fairly quick. The Second Acolyte is a pointless character, but his boss fight is cool.

Then, there's a pretty cool twist, followed by the best fight in the game, one of the coolest in the series, actually, and then you get into the home stretch that, while decent, ends in pure, narrative tragedy.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
From that article:Konami... smdh

That brings back memories of Samuel Bayer's contempt for the A Nightmare on Elm Street series when he was brought in to do the reboot. Hell, I recall some people saying he didn't even like horror movies(he considered himself better than that), and was only taking the job because Michael Bay told him that it would be a good way to get your foot into the industry if you want to transition from music video director to movie director.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
You go to people not too familiar for a fresh take. If not you're just doing the same thing over again. I think Lords of Shadow was great, I just wish they'd set up a better self contained continuity for it so we could keep getting installments on consoles alongside handheld sidescrollers based off of the traditional one.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
To an extent that fixes it, but something still needs to be done about the
(click to show/hide)
Trite lines aside, no game should actually leave me asking that if it's supposed to be the conclusion. I'm tired of "artists" feeding me these bullshit lines about "interpreting my own ending" when really they just don't know how to write a fucking ending. I'm playing your story to experience a story. If I wanted to create my own, I'd go write fan-fiction.
Yeah well i have no idea how I would write finality for that ending so I wont bother trying.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
From a financial point of view, I can sort of understand it.  If you're familiar with Star Trek, a similiar thing happened.  Director J.J Abrams said he was "never a Star Trek fan", and he made a really successful reboot film (and a second one that had a lot of problems, with less good reception, sound familiar?)

The first one worked exactly how Konami wanted it, and for all we know, 2 might have sold great aswell (but seems unlikely)

That's the thing with Mr. Abrams:  he may not have been a Trek fan, but he obviously studied up on the source material and had enough respect for the old franchise to do a reboot that not only pleased most older fans, but brought in new ones, and all while still adding his own flare.

This guy couldn't even get the basic concept of Castlevania (badass family fights Dracula after fighting his slew of monsters) right, save MoF. (And I borderline felt that was a bone throw to older fans too.). He didn't know about CV and it showed: a LOT of things make sense now. He's like that movie director that makes a movie based on something and except for a few things, gets it all wrong.  (Like the Resident Evil movies.). I stand by LoS would have been better as it's own title, away from the Castlevania universe: he could have had complete freedom to do as he pleased, without having to shoehorn elements of the old series to appease the fans. 

Dare I say, I wish MS had been given the chance to do just that.  Whatever this game was meant to be will haunt me now: if what he said was true, and he feels like trying to please fans instead of following whatever original idea he had like with LoS1, how would that game and story have come out?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 04:30:01 PM by Kamirine »

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
By that logic the Sorrow games didn't get the basic premise right either.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Yeah but they played upon that dynamic by having Soma try and stop that endless cycle from repeating while simultaneously dealing with people who wanted the Belmont family vs Dracula to occur forever.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
He's like that movie director that makes a movie based on something and except for a few things, gets it all wrong. 

I think it was Uzo who mentioned LoS feels like "The videogame of the movie of the videogame" wasnt it?

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #7634 on: February 28, 2014, 04:53:13 PM »
+1
@Flame I SAID THAT NOT UZO

btw my d-arts megaman arrived today :D am very excite. it has excellent sculpt. will pose next to my other figures so i can make ultimate Smash bros. team post photos soon. would you be interested to see?