Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406178 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #7635 on: February 28, 2014, 05:00:41 PM »
@Flame I SAID THAT NOT UZO

btw my d-arts megaman arrived today :D am very excite. it has excellent sculpt. will pose next to my other figures so i can make ultimate Smash bros. team post photos soon. would you be interested to see?
My apologies, I remembered that wrong then. Still, eerily accurate.

Also, I have Mega Man D-Ats. Magnificent sculpt indeed. looks just like he should. I also have, in addition to my own Mega Man, Bass, X, Zero Type 1, Black Zero type 2, Vile, and Ultimate Armor X.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Wait for the Revelations DLC...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:14:59 PM by KaZiZ »

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #7637 on: February 28, 2014, 05:14:43 PM »
oh so thats how that works

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Yeah but they played upon that dynamic by having Soma try and stop that endless cycle from repeating while simultaneously dealing with people who wanted the Belmont family vs Dracula to occur forever.

My point being it's not just about Belmonts killing Dracula, because we've had two games without him as Dracula proper, one game where he exists as Dracula for all of two seconds before running away, and five games where he's killed by other people, six if you count using Sypha, Grant, or Alucard at the end of 3.

Oh and a fighting game where you get to play as Dracula.

There have been many different approaches to Castlevania, and Mercury Steams is no less deserving of the series title. I would even say the game is more about Dracula than the Belmonts because he's been in all of them somehow but a Belmont has not, and he's what each game centers around with the possible exception of Lament of Innocence which was a dual origin story for both Leon and Dracula.

Without Dracula there is no Castlevania. So a stand alone series centering on him is quite appropriate.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
putting Armored and Dark Dracula together produces some kickass results.

http://s28.postimg.org/z68rj9563/1393555784041.jpg

EDIT: we need automatic image resizing on this forum.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I might as well share a few impressions. Keep in mind that I'm only a few hours into the game.

- I'm surprised to see that LoS2 is a genuinely nonlinear game. And while this is nowhere near Metroidvania depth, I'm actually managing to somewhat enjoy backtracking, which is a huge improvement over the dull chapter replays of LoS1 and the abysmal forced backtracking of MoF.

- There's a shop, which should normally be a very welcome addition. Though I haven't used it much for the moment.

- The combat system has been given a few small but definite improvements. Unblockable attacks are no longer signaled by a barely visible white light -- the new cue is painfully obvious, but that's still a good thing. And there's an air dodge. Finally.
There's also an interesting new block-breaking mechanic, which is pretty solid for the time being. It adds a little more combat depth, allows for some new enemy design, and gives the chaos claws an additional raison d'etre beyond simply dealing more damage. The mastery system looks pretty neat, but hasn't yet amounted to anything. I'll need a few more hours to fill the gauge.
Most of LoS's combat moves return in LoS2, which is unsurprising but still welcome. It's strange but just as satisfying to be controlling Dracula the way I'd controlled Gabriel.

- There's a clear world dichotomy here. Dracula's Castle can be beautiful, sometimes breathtaking, and is well-crafted for the most part. It also features the brunt of the game's interesting combat and enemy design. Reality is dull, ugly, generic, has stealth, and is plagued with an absolutely ridiculous plot development. It's hard not to have a preference.

- Platforming, like in LoS1, still relies on dull, heavily scripted wall shimmying. This may change later on in the game, but for the moment a few jumps and a few swinging chandeliers aren't exactly conducive to "real platforming". On a positive note, Dracula's climbing speed is thankfully much quicker than Gabriel's, which does tend to shorten the shimmying tedium. And LoS1's mortifying balancing segments are finally gone.

- Stealth is horrible. LoS2 doesn't even bother to give you the illusion of freedom as everything is scripted and explicited to a T, and any attempt you make at leaving the given path is invariably and severely punished. The environments you cross are ugly and uninteresting, failure makes the entire business abominably repetitive, and the whole concept in itself is jarring in context.
- The plot is a simple carrot-and-stick narrative, only armed with an absurd plot point that you'd be hard-pressed not to laugh at. As far as I'm concerned, only the voice acting is competent.
(click to show/hide)

- The game holds your hand for far too long. I'm getting tired of the all-too-obvious camera pans, the interminable prompts, the constant hints provided by Zobek, and those bats. I simply can't get rid of those bats, even when I disable hinting. It's almost insulting.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:01:18 PM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
I dont mind the bats, they are far less intrusive than glowing yellow ledges.

And sometimes they are needed, since not everything climbable is obviously climbable.

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
My point being it's not just about Belmonts killing Dracula, because we've had two games without him as Dracula proper, one game where he exists as Dracula for all of two seconds before running away, and five games where he's killed by other people, six if you count using Sypha, Grant, or Alucard at the end of 3.

Oh and a fighting game where you get to play as Dracula.

There have been many different approaches to Castlevania, and Mercury Steams is no less deserving of the series title. I would even say the game is more about Dracula than the Belmonts because he's been in all of them somehow but a Belmont has not, and he's what each game centers around with the possible exception of Lament of Innocence which was a dual origin story for both Leon and Dracula.

Without Dracula there is no Castlevania. So a stand alone series centering on him is quite appropriate.

Let me clarify: for a reboot, which LoS is suppose to be, it got Castlevania wrong.  Yes, there were games eventually that stared non-Belmonts, but the Belmont family were still accounted for/explained away and it was still in the realm of a built upon story.

You play as Dracula through Soma  :rollseyes:, but to be fair, I thought Dracula being reincarnated as a Japanese teenage boy was rather silly to say the least. Another rant for another day and thread.

The problem I have with LoS is as a reboot and after all the--let's be frank--lying Cox did before the first game was released, it was expected to be a reboot of the game back at it's roots.  And those roots are a badass with a whip from a kickass family fighting Dracula. 

Not Dracula as a sympathetic  anti-villain/borderline hero who fights Satan.  I actually like the story and characters enough (save Satan, Zobak was the better villain in my eyes) that it's actually why I wish it wasn't Castlevania related: I would have loved to see where it would have gone without having to shoehorn Caatlevania mythos in there.

And with the way LoS's story is, you really couldn't apply the old story or mythos to it (for starters, Dracula is a Belmont and anti-hero...), so it's more a complete alternate universe than a stand alone backstory for CV's Dracula as we knew him. Too much was changed.

This may be an agree to disagree moment, admittedly. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:22:07 PM by Kamirine »

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I agree that you don't like the series to a point that blinds you to the fact that Konami said it was Castlevania, so it is. Whether you, I, or anyone else like the game or not. We're all at their mercy as to where they decide to take the series.

Offline Kamirine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
I agree that you don't like the series to a point that blinds you to the fact that Konami said it was Castlevania, so it is. Whether you, I, or anyone else like the game or not. We're all at their mercy as to where they decide to take the series.

I'm not blind to anything, but I don't have to LIKE LoS as a Castlevania game or agree with it as being one.  It's my opinion and I'm entitled to have it just as you are with it fitting into the series without being generalized for it.

Though I do agree that it's up to Konami now for what's to come.

Offline ChibiMaddiChan

• I'm a bitch of an itch.
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Butts that itch should be washed. That is all.
    • Awards

So is Legends still a Castlevania game even if it was removed from canon by IGA? Because it has the Konami emblem on it so it's liking they're saying it is.  And Kid Dracula?  I mean it does have Galamoth or whatever in it.  And those slot machine game.  Where the hell do they count in the series?!

Jokes aside, Lords was worth it just for that
(click to show/hide)
. Doubt we'll stay with Lords but if not, I want new shit, not going back.
---
I was suppose to say something profound here. I don't 'do' profound so much as ramble so...whatever. Here lies text. Congratulations for reading it.  You were as bored as I am. Seriously, stop reading, you can't be that bored.  Still here? Really?  You officially are my new favorite person and now are owed one internet cookie. Don't eat it though, it gives you bad gas.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Of course it's still a Castlevania game, it's just a non-canon Castlevania game. Like Judgement, 64, Legacy of Darkness, and the Lords of Shadow series.

Offline Kamirine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
Of course it's still a Castlevania game, it's just a non-canon Castlevania game. Like Judgement, 64, Legacy of Darkness, and the Lords of Shadow series.

I wouldn't say Lords is non canon per-say, since it's a reboot.  Maybe alternate universe since it features some of the same people but a different setting and retelling of their story. 

@MaddiChan
(click to show/hide)

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Well, if we take the IGA timeline, then yes, those games are not canon...

...But still Castlevanias Games
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
And those slot machine game.  Where the hell do they count in the series?!

Hehehe. Pachislot 3 is a remake of CV3 in slot machine form, minus Grant, again.

Well, if we take the IGA timeline, then yes, those games are not canon...

...But still Castlevanias Games

Yup. Whether people like them or not.