Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406165 times)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)

Offline ChibiMaddiChan

• I'm a bitch of an itch.
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Butts that itch should be washed. That is all.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Don't you think it's striking that the most Castlevania-ish title in the Lords of Shadow series was one that Mercurysteam had to make because the real sequel to Lords of Shadow wasn't ready? I think that's a bit telling.

Heck, wasn't there a previous post in this very thread previously where the Spainish director dude was complaining about having to change shit to suit fans and regretting it?  LoS 2 probably would have been more 'in name only' than Lords1 would have been if he'd gotten his way. 

But see, I look at LoS as a Frankenstein  Monster that can be interpreted in two ways that technically aren't wrong.  You can argue it isn't 'Castlevania' and be right, but you can defend it's  'Castlevania' and still be right. There is enough wrong with it where it's so vastly different from the original where and does come off more like "the movie of the game, the game".  But if you're deranged like I can get, I see it like this:

Lord1 = movie-esque retelling of Lament except Zozo is Mathias, Satan is Death and Gabe is. Leon...who happens to turn into Dracula. 
Mirror = a more 'castlevania' feeling mash of Castlevania 1 and 3, with metroidvania like gameplay.
Lord2 = the 1999 game where Soma (or Dracula as a good guy, just go with the basic thought on this one) is the good guy.  And looks hotter.  And shows sexy chest.

See?  Tilt your head and believe--it works.  And if you can't, just take Castlevania out of the title and it's not hard to see in the veins of a game like Legacy of Kain as it's own vampire tale.  Both sides win!  8)
---
I was suppose to say something profound here. I don't 'do' profound so much as ramble so...whatever. Here lies text. Congratulations for reading it.  You were as bored as I am. Seriously, stop reading, you can't be that bored.  Still here? Really?  You officially are my new favorite person and now are owed one internet cookie. Don't eat it though, it gives you bad gas.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Even though I finished Agreus fast, I can say for sure that it's the worst design for a stealth section so far on the game.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
I think you are all greatly over estimating the influence Cox has on the game design of this series. He intermediates between Konami and Mercury Steam and does some PR. Mercury Steam tells him what they are planning on doing and that's all he has to go by. If he relates something to the public that later gets changed or cut, that is not his fault and there's nothing he can do about it.

He's also probably a step removed from the world of petty semantics and hair splitting a lot of you seem to live in. The optional bosses in the Kleidos Challenges, are optional bosses and you cannot fault the man for not knowing that doesn't fit your narrow opinion of what an optional boss is.

He may very we'll believe that getting a trophy or achievement  for hitting 110% counts as a reward because he doesn't understand that players might not think that's good enough.

We all apparently have one egomaniac to direct our collective ire at for how disappointing the story in Lords of Shadow 2 ended up, and it's not David Cox.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
I think you are all greatly over estimating the influence Cox has on the game design of this series. He intermediates between Konami and Mercury Steam and does some PR. Mercury Steam tells him what they are planning on doing and that's all he has to go by. If he relates something to the public that later gets changed or cut, that is not his fault and there's nothing he can do about it.

He's also probably a step removed from the world of petty semantics and hair splitting a lot of you seem to live in. The optional bosses in the Kleidos Challenges, are optional bosses and you cannot fault the man for not knowing that doesn't fit your narrow opinion of what an optional boss is.

He may very we'll believe that getting a trophy or achievement  for hitting 110% counts as a reward because he doesn't understand that players might not think that's good enough.

We all apparently have one egomaniac to direct our collective ire at for how disappointing the story in Lords of Shadow 2 ended up, and it's not David Cox.

I agree with that last point, I do, but if Cox is as big a Castlevania fan as he claims, and he claims he's a pretty big one, he knows EXACTLY what "optional bosses" implies.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
the irony is that if lords of shadow had indeed dropped the castlevania title & been its own series, we'd prolly be arguing how it could still be an "honorary castlevania" due to its similarities

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
the irony is that if lords of shadow had indeed dropped the castlevania title & been its own series, we'd prolly be arguing how it could still be an "honorary castlevania" due to its similarities

Ironically, this.  I am actually replaying LoS now to see maybe if I 'appreciate' it better.  Or rather see it better as a CV title because I already like the story. 

This could very well be true and if so, I feel sorry for Cox.  He's getting a lot of headache he doesn't deserve when he does mean well.  It's believable, considering if the employee's complaints are in fact true, it goes to show that incredible lack of communication he complained about.

Being the face of this series has to suck for Cox.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Well, the guy on gamefaqs beat the game at 110%, still no change.

So I guess the reward was the achievement. Amazing reward huh?
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline ChibiMaddiChan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Being the face of this series has to suck for Cox.

Oh, I dunno.  Maybe if he does it just right, he'll find the release he was loooking for.
---
I was suppose to say something profound here. I don't 'do' profound so much as ramble so...whatever. Here lies text. Congratulations for reading it.  You were as bored as I am. Seriously, stop reading, you can't be that bored.  Still here? Really?  You officially are my new favorite person and now are owed one internet cookie. Don't eat it though, it gives you bad gas.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
so i thought up how the ending could have been better.

(click to show/hide)
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)

(click to show/hide)
I had a pretty similar ending in mind, Victor really should have been the one to end Gabriel's immortality.
Oh, I dunno.  Maybe if he does it just right, he'll find the release he was loooking for.
Pfffft

Offline ChibiMaddiChan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
What? Might be all Cox needs: a good release to relieve stress this game provides. I mean, I would help Gabe find the release he needs.  I'd show him men can be more than a miserable pile of secrets.  So
---

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)

(click to show/hide)

Thanks for that. It's my new head-canon.

Offline JayDominus

• Count Janus Dominus
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
In my head-canon being stabbed with VK only brings Satan back to hell, Drac follows him there, there's a grand three phase epic battle of Prince of Darkness vs The Lightbringer and after the battle Dracula uses his raw power of both Lord of Shadow and God's Chosen One to transform into his dragon form and end Lucifer for good. And then he has a choice - to either join Marie in Heaven or stay in Hell as the new management.
If someone from MercurySteam is reading you have my blessing to steal this idea for a post-ending DLC.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 01:01:01 PM by JayDominus »

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
I had so many ideas for great endings I was very disappointed with the actual one.

anything