Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 457783 times)

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (Fan Project)
« Reply #645 on: December 03, 2016, 04:27:30 PM »
This is utterly amazing!  Great work, guys!  This project really does have me so stoked up.  It's fantastic to see little bits unfolding, bit by bit, as it's revealed.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)
« Reply #646 on: December 12, 2016, 03:03:57 PM »
'.'

In recent years this really, really comfy rock called Life (which isn't exactly all-comfy as our lives can be) keeps me out of the loop of CV Fandom.  This time, though, as I continue moving my work into new areas, I've managed to peek out just enough to learn of Dracula9's repertoire, leading to this epic thread I've sampled the beginning and end of. 

This is some amazing shit.  I'm glad to see such love going down over one of the greatest loose ends of The CastleVania Saga (shoutout to that long-gone page from the earlier days of our landscape). 

I'm pretty occupied by my projects so I can't reasonably offer any assistance.  Nevertheless, add one more to the masses looking forward to the success of this unmistakable project.  Cheers, yo! 

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #647 on: December 13, 2016, 05:38:14 AM »
'.'

In recent years this really, really comfy rock called Life (which isn't exactly all-comfy as our lives can be) keeps me out of the loop of CV Fandom.  This time, though, as I continue moving my work into new areas, I've managed to peek out just enough to learn of Dracula9's repertoire, leading to this epic thread I've sampled the beginning and end of. 

This is some amazing shit.  I'm glad to see such love going down over one of the greatest loose ends of The CastleVania Saga (shoutout to that long-gone page from the earlier days of our landscape). 

I'm pretty occupied by my projects so I can't reasonably offer any assistance.  Nevertheless, add one more to the masses looking forward to the success of this unmistakable project.  Cheers, yo!

Thanks, dude!

There's still a long way for this to go, but it's getting there. Slowly but surely :P
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #648 on: December 13, 2016, 07:20:07 AM »
Take all the time necessary.  The CV fans will still be around.

(& I'll pop up every few years. :p)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #649 on: December 21, 2016, 09:57:21 AM »
+4
The god of death joins the fray.

Now, this sprite had to be based on actual concept art.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 10:01:11 AM by theplottwist »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #650 on: December 21, 2016, 10:20:05 AM »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #651 on: December 22, 2016, 12:03:33 AM »
I love the sprite work! :)
The actual concept art of Death also looks so cool.

Bring on the next update!

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #652 on: December 22, 2016, 09:27:01 PM »
Looking forward to Carmilla.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #653 on: December 29, 2016, 02:50:40 PM »
I wanted to pop back here (after finally figuring out my password after 4,000,000 years) and say I quite like what I've seen, what I've read, and what I've heard.

I may lack any fancy jazzy means to contribute to such a project directly, but I hope by being a "cheerleader on the sidelines" that you guys know that this has the interest of others. I haven't been on this board since LoS2's pre-release, but have come back both for Bloodstained's teaser, and this, to be specific.

I'm deeply interested in this coming to fruition. Good luck.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #654 on: December 31, 2016, 01:05:47 PM »
I wanted to pop back here (after finally figuring out my password after 4,000,000 years) and say I quite like what I've seen, what I've read, and what I've heard.

I may lack any fancy jazzy means to contribute to such a project directly, but I hope by being a "cheerleader on the sidelines" that you guys know that this has the interest of others. I haven't been on this board since LoS2's pre-release, but have come back both for Bloodstained's teaser, and this, to be specific.

I'm deeply interested in this coming to fruition. Good luck.

Thanks for the support. All the support we can get, be it by a direct contribution, or by being a "cheerleader on the sidelines" is important to us. This project IS a tribute to Castlevania (not only IGA's era, but in general), so listening to what people outside of the project's development think is also important to us.

Looking forward to Carmilla.

She's coming, but there is another character to come before she does ;)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #655 on: December 31, 2016, 01:13:57 PM »
+2

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #656 on: December 31, 2016, 01:39:53 PM »
+1

I knew using these words was a bad idea.

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #657 on: December 31, 2016, 03:21:57 PM »

#LauraConfirmed jkjk

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #658 on: December 31, 2016, 05:49:59 PM »
Thanks for the support. All the support we can get, be it by a direct contribution, or by being a "cheerleader on the sidelines" is important to us. This project IS a tribute to Castlevania (not only IGA's era, but in general), so listening to what people outside of the project's development think is also important to us.

If I can ask a question, if you were to give a percentage of what you feel the game will amount to (amount of enemies, boss, specific powerups, etc) how much do you feel you have a good idea on that's part of the current plans and development? As an outsider, I'm not aware on what's really hooked in for the game. I may be wrong in recalling this, but I believe you made a post before this became a fan game that you even had an idea on how many rooms the castle were to have, so that kind of gives me hope that a lot of this is really caught up in the system design/animation/programming stage.

Also, is there a chance like a real Castlevania, you'll be using older sprites, or will it be almost all-new assets? I've seen some of the pixel work you and others have done and...mmf, new stuffs please. <3

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #659 on: December 31, 2016, 06:58:47 PM »
+1
If I can ask a question, if you were to give a percentage of what you feel the game will amount to (amount of enemies, boss, specific powerups, etc) how much do you feel you have a good idea on that's part of the current plans and development? As an outsider, I'm not aware on what's really hooked in for the game. I may be wrong in recalling this, but I believe you made a post before this became a fan game that you even had an idea on how many rooms the castle were to have, so that kind of gives me hope that a lot of this is really caught up in the system design/animation/programming stage.

That's a very hard question to answer, mostly because what we have now could completelly change and drop from 100% to 10% in a couple hours. In fact, when more people joined the team, a bunch of ideas changed to the better (so, before I did know how many rooms we were aiming at. Now I don't know anymore with such precision. The good news is that I probably had vastly understated this number, because the project grew to bigger proportions to accomodate all the new developments :P ).

In percentage of planning we are very far. We know what most enemies will be, what most bosses, a part of the items, we have a pretty good idea of the game mechanics that will be applied (and how they are to be used to optimal results) and we know fairly well how the game and story will intermingle -- the pacing of the game, in other words. We know how the game (and story) starts, we know where the climaxes are, we know generally what are the conflicts and how they should be presented, and how the game (and story) ends.

So, if I had to answer how much planning we have in percent, I think more or less 70% is fair. The remaining 30% are technicalities and details that, while important, don't really affect the big plans we have already laid out.

Just recently (VERY recently) I made some graphical developments I didn't even know I could do, and D9 has greenlit a bunch of ideas on the programming side that really decided a lot of of the path we will follow (in atmosphere, in raw technical aspects, in gameplay). On the music side, the OST is a well 80% to 90% complete, and this from planning only -- I instruct the composers what the scenario/level/scene needs, and they put it on music with their own spin.

All in all: The plot is almost completelly ready to be written (and a part of it IS already written), and now we are working the game ideas around it.

Again, I'm talking about PLANNING and not "what we have completed". What we have completed, right now, is very, VERY little. We can't even make a single-room demo yet. This is a bit disappointing, I know, but it is for the best. All this planning is so we can keep everything uniform and seamless.

I said a lot to really say nothing. This is the hard part -- we (specially me) refuse to put anything on stone before everything is planned. Once we start showing things, there is no going back. So we must make absolutelly sure of something before speaking or showcasing it. If I give any certainties now, the expectations (read: hype) will reach uncontrollable levels, and then later there is a chance we might have to drop the certainties, and this will be a big let down. We don't want that. I want to come here and say "Laura will appear!" and it be a fact that Laura will appear.

(And yes, Laura will appear SecretWeapon. In fact, the "Laura" aspect has its own plot/game-relevance)

I'm sorry I can't be more specific and for appearing vague. But 2017 will change that, I assure you.

Also, is there a chance like a real Castlevania, you'll be using older sprites, or will it be almost all-new assets? I've seen some of the pixel work you and others have done and...mmf, new stuffs please. <3

The plan A is to have everything be 100% new. Not only sprites, but every single graphical asset, from the grass on the ground and the bricks on the walls to Dracula's final form. Firstly, ripping graphics is a good way to get us in bad waters. Secondly, I'm sure everyone wants to see new things.

I wouldn't stand to see the same goddamn Alucard sprite that has been used again and again here on this project. The sentiment is the same for the Skeletons and Zombies.

Remember how I spoke about the graphical developments above? One such development is that I learned (still am learning, in fact, but I got a really good grasp by now) to create original high-quality tilesets REALLY fast (from the pixel-art perspective). A well-made brick wall that would normally take me two to three hours of meticulous work, took me about 30 minutes to start, polish and finish. That's is very good news.

So yes, expect the project to count on original assets.

Also, two things to close:

1. We are in NO WAY underestimating what it takes to create a high-quality game. We have previous experience with game development and we know how hard it is. I may appear to be oversimplifying things, but I'm not. Under every single thing I mentioned here, an ENORMOUS amount of debate and thinking and testing happened.

2. If I missed the point somewhere, feel free to ask again.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 07:30:46 PM by theplottwist »

Tags: 1999 Awes 

anything