Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: PSP games  (Read 4617 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: September 12, 2013, 08:06:53 PM »
Think I made a thread like this some years ago but ah well.

Looking at the pitiful amount of PSP games I have on my shelf, I figured it's about time I check out more games.

I own:

Dracula X Chronicles
Mega Man Powered Up
Maverick Hunter X
Ultimate G'nG
Silent Hill Origins (it's better on PS2)

So what can ya recommend? Are there any more cool sidescrollers on the system?

Thinking of getting MediEvil: Resurrection while it's fairly cheap.

Not really into fighting games or RPGs, but recommend anyway.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 08:32:29 PM »
The Prinny games and 3rd Birthday look fun.

I just hope I don't buy a buncha games and then everything available on PSN is available on the Vita TV and I get that after blowing money on UMDs and then have to buy the games over again, lol.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 08:34:08 PM »
SFA 3 Max aka SF Alpha 3 Double Upper - more characters added from regular Upper (which is hidden on the PS2 Anthology and has to be unlocked, and then is still hidden unless you hold select over Alpha 3 while pressing start). Yes the PSP is ass with fighting games, but this is the best fighter you can get on a handheld as far as I'm concerned.

Capcom Puzzle World - 3 puzzle games on this, Buster Bros, Buster Buddies, and Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, with extra modes found only in the Dreamcast version (2 other variants of Puzzle Fighter modes, one like Tetris, another like Columns).

Powerstone Collection - if you like those games, you'll love this. Wish I had picked up all 3 I just listed when I saw them, regrets out the wahoo now as I don't see them anymore locally.

Gradius Collection/Salamander Portable/Parodius Portable/Twinbee Portable - all 4 of these are neat Konami shmup collections, though the Paro games infuriated me enough to get the console versions. Songs were replaced (at least 6 over the 5 games on Paro Portable) with lamer songs, still the shooting is solid.

Gokumakaimura Kai - yes you have UGnG, this is the second revision that does away with the fetch quest, brings you back to 2 hits and dead, has 2 quests (UGnG sorta had that too), and few checkpoints. If you die, you go back to a checkpoint ala UGnG's Ultimate Mode. Continues are also limited, some say though lives are plentiful to get.

Darkstalkers Chaos Tower - yes fighting games and ass again, and this is one I don't own either (would love to), this is basically I believe a revamp of Vampire Savior/VS2. I think almost every character is in too, but I could be wrong.

Darius Burst - this one never came to the US despite getting a ERSB rating. It's the latest in the Darius title, but sadly it's going price is still around, or a little higher than when it came out a few years ago. Taito didn't disappoint with this one either.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 08:35:59 PM »
Monster Hunter games
Metal Gear Solid games
Kingdom Hearts games

Its sad that I dont know where is my txt list from years ago, I've put more than 100 titles in it in the case that I got a PSP someday.

Since you dislike fighting games and RPGs its more difficult, I would suggest Final Fantasy Dissidia and Dissidia Duodecim.

3rd Birthday, yeah, I would suggest it because its Parasite Eve related, but I dont know if its good or not.

Its funny to see that these games that you have where the ones that I would choose first too (less SH Origins since I have that for PS2).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:39:15 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 09:02:51 PM »
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Dissidia Duodecim 012
Ys: Oath in Felghana
Ys SEVEN
Ys Chronicles I & II
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
God Eater Burst
Phantasy Star Portable 2
Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus
Blazblue Continuum Shift 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki: Alternative Saga
Persona
Persona 2
Persona 3 Portable
Gradius Collection
Final Fantasy I & II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV Complete
Lumines
Dracula X Chronicles
Marverick Hunter X
Megaman Power-up
Half-Minute Hero
Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT plus
Tekken 6
Tekken Dark Ressurrection
Guitaroo man Lives!
Me & My Katamari

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 10:52:06 PM »
You already own 5 of the games I would reccomend for PSP, and are planning on buying another one of them (MediEvil), so there's little left for reccomending, especially if you aren't into RPG's (I would say Riviera: The Promised Land) but there's still both Prinny games if you want some really difficult 2D platforming experience with awesome music and funny anime characters!
Be prepared to get angry, though  >:(
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 11:10:26 PM »
Darkstalkers Chaos Tower - yes fighting games and ass again, and this is one I don't own either (would love to), this is basically I believe a revamp of Vampire Savior/VS2. I think almost every character is in too, but I could be wrong.
I think it's only missing Dee from the PS2 compilation. Considering that he's basically just a MUGEN mishmash of Demitri and Donovan you're not missing out on much.

I can't agree more with Pfil's recommendation of the Prinny games. By the way, from what I recall the stages actually get harder the later you clear them, so if you want an easier time in the long run I'd suggest clearing the harder stages first.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 01:38:13 AM »
Looking at my list of PSP games... I have:
Dracula X Chronicles
Dissidia
Dissidia Duodecim
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable
Suikoden 1 & 2
Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA
Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd
Taiko no Tatsujin: Portable
Taiko no Tatsujin: Portable 2
Taiko no Tatsujin: Portable DX

Ahahahaha... I have a bunch of music games!

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 01:59:26 AM »
Are there any action RPGs on the system? I should have specified that I really like those; it's turn-based strategy and stuff like that which I'm not terribly excited by.

If that's the case with Prinny, good to know. Think I'll just nab them on PSN; the packaged versions are a little pricy for my taste.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 02:04:21 AM »
Since you don't like RPGs I won't recommend Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time, Jeanne D'Arc, Valkyria Chronicles 2 or Popolocrois. :D

I second a lot of what's already been said here (Ys, Persona, Gradius etc)

And judging by the games you already own (which are excellent btw) you NEED the Prinny games. I love them both.

I can't think of many sidescrollers other than the ones already mentioned, except maybe Little Big Planet. I want more of sidescrollers too.

As for action RPGs there's Key of Heaven (called Kingdom of...Something... in the US. I think? It's an alright martial arts style action RPG, but many people hate it so don't trust me here... The Ys games are action RPGs too. Star Ocean 1&2 and Tales of Eternia are sort-of actiony but maybe not like how you would prefer.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Hammerin' Hero. It's a sidescroller! Oh, and the Metal Slug Anthology.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:13:44 AM by shelverton. »

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 03:25:04 AM »
Fuck me for not mentioning Metal Slug XX, published by Atlus. It's a redo of Metal Slug 7 from the DS only with sharper visuals (but still good old lo res), and crisper music, possibly fine tuned in other ways. A must have especially if you like the Metal Slug series, and I definitely love all but the 3D one (that's why I have the Anthology for the first 6 games, and X. as well as XX on PSP). Love the gritty art style.

Also VladCT, thanks.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 05:13:20 AM by Bloodreign »

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 03:31:06 AM »

Whaaat? I've never heard of XX. I died now. Must. Have. Is it UMD or digital?

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 04:27:02 AM »
And here I thought Metal Slug XX was yet another upgrade of the second game, heh. I remember the DS game being fun, so I'll have to grab that if I see it cheap.

Got the first Prinny on PSN a bit ago. REALLY enjoying it so far, but I can see how this could be a tough sumbitch later on.

Do the PSP Ys games have that frustrating "run into enemies but slightly off-center" attack method that the TG16 Book I & II does? I picked that game up on Virtual Console and it brutalized me.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 04:47:27 AM »
Only the remakes of the first two games, and it's been made slightly easier in that you can run and move in 8 directions.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 04:55:28 AM »
Yeah, I have a couple of issues with I&II Chronicles, but Felghana and Seven were great. The PSP port of Ark was pretty mediocre compared to the PS2 version so I would recommend you picking that one up instead. But it's definitely playable on the PSP too, just a little...annoying. Loading times were especially bad. But Ark is an underrated game IMO!

Tags: