Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: How 3D Castlevania's should be.  (Read 31590 times)

Offline Venkman

• Vampirebuster
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
How 3D Castlevania's should be.
« on: August 25, 2008, 01:09:50 PM »
OK this is kinda random an if you dont agree say so, but i think there goin the wrong way wit 3D castlevanias. They need 2 be like God of War. Instead of being so up close to the charicter that the only part of the room you can see is 3 feet away wich is not how catlevania should be in the side scrolers you can see the whole room, the camra should be up high like n GoW also the charicters are thin an tall, they sould be like cratos hunched over and ready to kill the first thing they see. Thats how the side scrollers are. And wen you kill a boss there should be special deaths that u haf to hit certain butons to do.And one more thing there shuld b puzzles that u have 2 solve 2 get trough doors hard ones that will make u through down the controler yellind
Bustn' more than Ghost's

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 01:33:12 PM »
God of War is its own game. Castlevania is unique enough to stand alone, it shouldn't be compared to GoW. I'll tell u what, next time ur playing GoW just pretend Simon is Kratos. Case closed  ;)

Offline gravekeeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: How 3D Castlevania's should be.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 02:29:42 PM »
I disagree. Especially on the hunky part. I'm sick of main characters with three tons of muscles. They're better off with neat looking outfits and some style and personality.

Personally I think the Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness are way too focused on the battle system. I think they're both great games, but I think it's way too much about running around in similair looking rooms, fighting monster after monster.

You can't fall off things or into pits, so you can only die by being killed by your enemies. I think they should add traps and obstacles too, like in Legacy of Darkness. Less fighting and a bit more puzzle instead.

At least that's my opinion.

Offline fallenangel86

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 02:41:48 PM »
it's always been about fighting. i mean even in castlevania 1 simon had enemies that took 6-8 hits, and you weren't getting past them any other way. forced fighting you could say might be a problem of the 3d games. walk into a room only to be forced to clear it out. works for zelda, but seems off for this series.

up until the qte's and puzzles i actually would agree with making it more like god of war. it'd have to have it's own system, naturally. belmonts are tough, but they can't rip their enemies in half or slam giant columns on top of them. however it would definitely be sweet if they had more stuff like, say in that one stage in the first god of war, where you had to jump onto platforms while avoiding saws and falling into the chasm.

Offline paletteswapmonster

• Palette swap man
  • Forsaken
  • Legendary Hunter
  • gorilla warfare
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 02:55:57 PM »
I pretty much agree with this.

Offline gravekeeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 03:03:20 PM »
In Reply To #4

As you said, Kratos can take an enemy and tear it apart, which in Castlevania you can't. That'd actually be a pretty cool touch, if you could do such things to your enemies in Castlevania. I'm not saying a Belmont should grab a zombie and tear out its insides with his bare hands and then feed him with it, but let's say you could cut them in half using a sword or something, or pierce them on a lance.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 03:11:33 PM »
What would make a good Castelvania 3D?

SIMPLE:

Add 2 parts CV64 platforming and mood...
to 1 part combo-oriented action (ala LoI)...
to 1 part open-ended castle (ala CoD, SotN)...

Sprinkle in some upgradable weapons, familiars and spells

Next add lock-on capability

Mix well into to a bowl of Devil May Cry level design.

Serves: everyone who is worthy

Alternate recipe:

Go first person, like Metroid Prime. Mix well with the capabilities of the Wii-mote. Serve chilled.

"Observe their fates and learn well."

• Palette swap man
  • Forsaken
  • Legendary Hunter
  • gorilla warfare
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 03:19:11 PM »
Go first person, like Metroid Prime.
First person would suck.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 03:19:47 PM »
CoD was fine as it is. I don't think I could ask for a more perfect 3Dvania.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 03:43:09 PM »
As long as its more like 64 with fun platforming and more puzzles, I'll be happy.

But I don't think it should be as much of a hack and slash like DMC, GoW and the 2 PS2 CV's, as much as I enjoy them.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline erimocard

• satin demon
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Gro
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 03:56:38 PM »
In Reply To #9

LOL. If you really mean that, you won't be my cutie doggie friend anymore from this day on.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 04:06:06 PM »
First person would suck.

Yes, because Metroid Prime sucks  ::)

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 04:56:35 PM »
Here's an idea: a 3D Castlevania game shouldn't even remotely resemble the PS2 games or GOW or any hack-and-slash games. And there ought to be a butt-ton of platforming, and I don't like RPG elements and menus for potions and equipping junk.

The N64 games did an all right job of transforming Castlevania to a 3D environment. The games aren't perfect, but at least they capture the feel of old school Castlevania.

Of course, IGA seems to be content with not offering us anything resembling the old style. Unless his proposed 8-bit outing is similar, and it better be like the NES games otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

• Palette swap man
  • Forsaken
  • Legendary Hunter
  • gorilla warfare
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 06:06:28 PM »
In Reply To #12

I didn't mean it like that. I just think people would actually like to be able to see the character.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 06:08:31 PM »
In Reply To #9

LOL. If you really mean that, you won't be my cutie doggie friend anymore from this day on.

Aaw...  :'(

WELL TOO BAD!!! That's... *sniffle* just how I really feel... 'tis time to go our separate ways... *sob*
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Tags: