Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: How do you perceive Soma?  (Read 13443 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 09:35:01 AM »
Design-wise, I don't mind Soma. His sprite in DoS was animated greatly (on par with sotn), although his running motion looks kinda awkward. As for his personality, this may sound clich

Offline Devil Forgemaster

• Awards
Re: How do you perceive Soma?
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 02:30:54 PM »
I'll tell you what I know or what the other people make me think, whatever, Soma Cruz is'nt japanese, he is a european student who is in japan for a school exchange or whatever you call it, so it's the version i know, maybe i'm wrong,
but for me this is the reason for what soma is in japan.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 04:52:09 PM »
I wish he was Indian. :<

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 06:35:35 PM »
I really don't like all the Japanese stuff in Castlevania. First, the entrance to Drac's castle in the eclipse should not be through a shrine in Japan. Second, I don't think his reincarnation should be Japanese kid, he should be European (Romanian to be more accurate). But the thing that really pisses me off for some reason is Yoko Belnades....descendant of 1400's Romanian Vampire Hunter, Sypha Belnades....where and when did Japan get crossed into this?

I know a lot of you will have your come backs... I know...but seriously, it just bothers the hell out of me...

Oh, PS. Thernz, nice Gundam Icon, it's nice to see another Gundam fan, too bad it's from one of the worst series though =P
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 06:37:39 PM by profbeanburrito »
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Steve

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 08:02:06 PM »
First, the entrance to Drac's castle in the eclipse should not be through a shrine in Japan.

The total solar eclipse in 2035 will be invisible from Europe, whereas it will be highly visible from eastern Asia, particularly Japan.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2035_GoogleMapFull.html

Compare this to the total solar eclipse in 1999, which was most visible from Romania.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_1999_GoogleMapFull.html

The story is just showing consistency with its source material.

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 04:20:06 AM »
I really don't like all the Japanese stuff in Castlevania. First, the entrance to Drac's castle in the eclipse should not be through a shrine in Japan. Second, I don't think his reincarnation should be Japanese kid, he should be European (Romanian to be more accurate). But the thing that really pisses me off for some reason is Yoko Belnades....descendant of 1400's Romanian Vampire Hunter, Sypha Belnades....where and when did Japan get crossed into this?

I know a lot of you will have your come backs... I know...but seriously, it just bothers the hell out of me...

Oh, PS. Thernz, nice Gundam Icon, it's nice to see another Gundam fan, too bad it's from one of the worst series though =P

I totally agree that anything Japanese does not belong in the Castlevania series. It's silly and out of place.

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 04:40:39 AM »
I'm also one who would rather see significantly less Japanese elements in Castlevania, although with Aria of Sorrow the scenario could be excused because the game was deliberately set there.

It must be pretty challenging for any development team flogging what could be seen as a dead horse, i.e. Metroidvania, to devise new locales and scenarios and put a different spin on things.  I might campaign for a more rugged European approach to Castlevania, but if every game was set in Europe it may begin to stagnate (as diverse and varied as those Middle/Easten European countries are).  Ironically, the hallmark/origin of the series presents something of an unwelcome curse for IGA: Castlevania never had an intricate storyline, its setting was sacrosanct, and IGA's had to change and improvise on that to meet modern gaming expectations.

Could he have gone about it in a better way?  Probably.

At the moment though, on a 3D scale, I

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 03:17:35 PM »
He looks like any Japanese guy on AoS's box art. >_>

No, he looks like a Japanese girl. Anyway, I don't care about his nationality, I just say he's a stupid, immature little baby who doesn't want to accept the best thing that ever happenned to him: gaining dark powere! Does he not know how lucky he is? How envious I am??
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 03:22:43 PM »
I just say he's a stupid, immature little baby who doesn't want to accept the best thing that ever happenned to him: gaining dark powers!
You just described about 90% of anime heroes who gain super powers. :P

I support Serio's cause.
Then put the sprite in your sig. you can direct link it from my server if you don't feel like uploading it, it's not like it eats that much out of my 7.5 tb of bandwidth/month. :o

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
  • Captain Obvious :(
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 05:43:37 PM »
No, he looks like a Japanese girl.

Again, 90% of all anime characters, and then some.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee35/beingthehero/mm1.jpg?t=1208479346

All males. D:

Effeminate characters tend to be a motiff for anything gothic/vampiric/romantic in Japan, so Soma's appearance shouldn't shock at all, unlike the Clone-nan's from Castlevania's early days.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 05:45:55 PM by Bloodelfking »
---------------------------------------
The Chapel of Resonance- OST's, reviews, translations, and the latest Fan Games- any and everything Castlevania!

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 06:03:59 PM »
In Reply To #19

I like silly over the top stuff. >.>
I like Dynasty Warriors.
I like G Gundam.

Offline Darth Cariss

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 05:01:14 AM »
To the original topic, I view Soma as not being from Japan, because that is what the story said to me when I played the game. The series is "Castlevania" to me. The heroes' last name is "Belmont", and Soma is not from Japan. Those are the game versions I go by.

SniperWolf

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 07:05:26 AM »
I think soma is japanese, and for the miss leading last name. cruz is cross in spanish, but it's also the same thing in japanese(spelled KURUZU) So yeah, I don't think there's is any confusion for me here.
Ill just thing of him as a bad ass soul hunter!

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 08:36:17 AM »
In Reply To #27

Enjoy your poltergeist king, graveyard duck and belmont warrior chromosomes then. :o

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
  • Captain Obvious :(
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 01:07:27 PM »
In Reply To #29

And incest, what with the whole 'Maria is related to the Belmonts' thing. D:
---------------------------------------
The Chapel of Resonance- OST's, reviews, translations, and the latest Fan Games- any and everything Castlevania!

Tags: