Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread  (Read 1104131 times)

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1605 on: November 15, 2015, 11:17:39 AM »
Ohhh. The Roachman!

Could it be that you are a Kafka fan as well? is this a little nod to the Metamorphosis?

I love your Flyman too.

I would love to see some more lesser known monsters from you.

Are you familiar with Begotten? This character I think is supposed to be a parody of God. He's very frightening and disturbing. I could picture him being a sort of  martyr boss who cuts himself apart dropping his insides on you. The player wouldn't have to destroy him as he destroys himself. It would be a matter of surviving encounter.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 05:47:43 PM by Belmontoya »
The worst monsters are human.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1606 on: November 15, 2015, 01:35:47 PM »
Ohhh. The Roachman!

Could it be that you to are a Kafka fan as well? is this a little nod to the Metamorphosis?

Yeah it's a Kafka reference. I have other critters from literature and movies in mind, such as Dorian Gray or the Red Death :P

I know Begotten, but I have no idea at all how I would draw that. The movie itself barely displays him o_o
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 03:29:26 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline AuraTeam

• Hunter in Training
  • God cooked my dinner once again
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 2nd Place 2015 -  Christmas Award 2nd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1607 on: November 16, 2015, 11:43:15 PM »
Zobek's Lieutenant in sotn style

Offline eryson

• The Fangaems Connoisseur
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: DraculaXX (SNES)
« Reply #1608 on: November 17, 2015, 07:07:46 AM »
Some monster remakes/reimaginings I did for practice purposes.

From left to right and top to bottom:
Axe Knight, Skeleton, Skeleton Warrior, Zombie, Peeping Eye, Bone Pillar, Merman, Medusa Head, Fleaman, Werewolf, Minotaur, Zombie Minotaur.

And some two bonus, original ones :D :

(click to show/hide)

Great sprites. You think in add some of these If your Umbra Project comes to be a game someday?

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #1609 on: November 17, 2015, 12:39:15 PM »
Great sprites. You think in add some of these If your Umbra Project comes to be a game someday?

Even if they were made with practice in mind, yes, I might use them in my project.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #1610 on: November 18, 2015, 07:07:43 AM »
great work!! Im really diggin those minotaurs. I like how u have their hands bound like that  8)
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #1611 on: November 18, 2015, 08:45:49 PM »
Oh dude those are nice! Defintley like the distorted zombies and minatour. Yeah i seen the roach and fly mad scientist. Reminds me of baxter a bit. Very awesome designs! I was digging the Zobek's lueitenant too!

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #1612 on: November 20, 2015, 02:04:16 AM »
Working on this handsome fellow now.

(click to show/hide)

It's not ready yet.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 02:37:23 AM by theplottwist »

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #1613 on: November 20, 2015, 08:50:07 AM »
Working on this handsome fellow now.

(click to show/hide)

It's not ready yet.

Dorian gray?

Both the portrait and the frame look killer though. I always love the potential for new enemies to slay.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 12:06:33 PM by Donvermicelli »

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #1614 on: November 20, 2015, 12:07:55 PM »
Been working on the Alucard sprite still, I'm nearing completion for drawing the animations but I'm trying to improve my shading techniques.
Any care to share feedback or critique?

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #1615 on: November 20, 2015, 01:49:18 PM »
Dorian gray?

Both the portrait and the frame look killer though. I always love the potential for new enemies to slay.

Indeed a reference to Dorian Gray. however in this version the painting was created by someone else, and not by his friend.

Been working on the Alucard sprite still, I'm nearing completion for drawing the animations but I'm trying to improve my shading techniques.
Any care to share feedback or critique?

Firstly, I'd say that I don't know if you're trying to mimick SotN's style, but if you do, your Alucard is a bit too short. If you're not, then ignore this.

Secondly, the colors you choose for certain parts of the sprite. The sprite looks good on general, but some colors when grouped together look "blurry" or make no difference. For instance: the right leg has colors that give a subtle diference, but I can't really make out the illumination or shadows because the colors have too little contrast between themselves. The left leg is better on this aspect.

Same goes for the cape's lining. From brightest to darkest you have red, darker red, purplish red and dark purple. You only need red and purplish red, otherwise you're working with too many colors that make too little of a diference. UNLESS this is exactly what you're aiming for, I'd say you'd fare better with less colors.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 02:01:21 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1616 on: November 21, 2015, 01:54:03 AM »
I'm not trying to directly copy the SOTN style entirely but I am drawing some heavy inspiration from it, I felt like the current height was a tad more realistic for a person.
For further reference I was also trying to draw some inspiration from OOE's Dracula:

As for the colors: I see your point on some colors making no difference, I was experimenting a bit with them to see what did and didn't work. Below I made several iterations of the same pose with varying amounts of colors. Could you point out where I'm going to far? Would generally expanding the palette at this point just be too much for this size of sprite or are the shading colors I chose just 'wrong'?

(1 to 5 from left to right)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #1617 on: November 21, 2015, 02:24:13 AM »
Now the portrait is ready in all of its transforming glory.

As for the colors: I see your point on some colors making no difference, I was experimenting a bit with them to see what did and didn't work. Below I made several iterations of the same pose with varying amounts of colors. Could you point out where I'm going to far? Would generally expanding the palette at this point just be too much for this size of sprite or are the shading colors I chose just 'wrong'?

(1 to 5 from left to right)

Every one sans the last one is bad (as they should be, as they are progresses, it seems). The last is good, but still has all the issues I mentioned above. You're not going overboard on the colors on the entire sprite, just on some places. The right leg doesn't look as "detailed" as the left one because it's badly shaded. There is a cluster of gray too big there. And there's still one useless red there in the cape.

If your inspiration coming from Dracula is on the color-department, then I'd advice you to not try to pull off the shenanigans going on for Dracula on such a small sprite. Dracula is big and there is room for lots of colors there that don't belong on a smaller sprite.

Do you mind if I edit your sprite?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 02:32:22 AM by theplottwist »

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1618 on: November 21, 2015, 03:04:07 AM »
Now the portrait is ready in all of its transforming glory.

It looks totally awesome, the only suggestion I have is to add a sort of transition frame where you see the posture move to the new pose.

Do you mind if I edit your sprite?
Sure by all means if you think it can help me.

Concrete points I'm looking at right now is fixing the shading on the right leg and reducing the amount of colors used for shading in the cape.
On a second note, is the black shade I used near his back too dark? It might be blending in too much with the dark purple.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #1619 on: November 21, 2015, 04:30:53 AM »
Here it is. I did nothing much. Just edited the leg and the cape's lining. The darkest color was indeed not useful.