Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: A little more touch in OoE  (Read 5607 times)

Offline Alutwon

• Grand Cross
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
A little more touch in OoE
« on: April 19, 2009, 05:09:51 PM »
OoE really should have had more touch screen functionality. Especially with the way Shanoa attacks. For example why couldn't we summon a giant sword by drawing it on screen? It would be as simple as drawing two intersecting lines. But yea just thought it would have made OoE a little more interesting.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 05:46:50 PM »
Keep lame touch screen bullshit out of Castlevania. Thank you.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: A little more touch in OoE
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 06:15:36 PM »
Keep lame touch screen bullshit out of Castlevania. Thank you.
Agreed.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Alutwon

• Grand Cross
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 07:20:01 PM »
Ok, then why not just put them on the psp and make it 10X better? The past 3 games could have had PS1 quality visuals and audio.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 07:22:19 PM by StriderKumori »

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 07:54:25 PM »
In Reply To #4

That's my question! But I'd rather a console release... on the 360 than psp. What's the point of portables.... nothing beats a console! NOTHING! cept PCs.

But the dual screen open menu that the DS has is VERY VERY nice. I like it alot.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 07:54:56 PM »
In Reply To #4

because the ds sells better

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
I'd have to agree with StriderKumori on this one. OoE was very dry in some parts and the repetitiveness in terms of crop & paste corridors did not help it out. However I do not believe that more touchscreen interaction would've helped. Like the rest I enjoy a good game without being forced to utilize the stylus pen every now and then.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 09:15:49 PM »
Attempting to use the touch screen in Castlevania has resulted in two disasters thus far:

1.  The mandatory Seal system in DoS, which was out-of-character to the Sorrow storyline and completely ruined the flow of the SotN-style boss battles.
2.  Sisters Mode in PoR, the most tacked-on last-minute feature in Castlevania history.

I can't imagine a third attempt coming out any better.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 10:53:32 PM »
Well instead of incorporating touch screen functionality into the main game, they could've tried to be creative and added a separate mini-game of sorts, like flinging Pumpkin through Medusa baskets or some shit  :P

Offline Alutwon

• Grand Cross
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 05:08:40 AM »
In Reply To #6

Your logic is flawless.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 06:23:26 PM »
Just because it didnt have touch screen functions doesn't make it bad for the DS, and if it were on the PSP it wouldn't automatically make it 10X better. It was fine the way it was.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Alutwon

• Grand Cross
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 04:23:43 AM »
In Reply To #11

If they didn't change anything and it was just a graphical and audio update from the DS then I don't see how it wouldn't be 10x better.

Offline Xadion

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 05:31:36 AM »
and random note: the DS is slightly above PS1 visual capability in terms of polly count textures etc - obviously all handhelds lack the resolution of TVs- the PSP is slightly over the visual capability of the PS2 in terms of polly count textures etc etc.

The new DSi has doubble the CPU and 4x the ram of the DS - so once they start to make DSi only titles the visuals will/should meet or exceed the PSP

I liked OOE more so because they did not have some gimmick toutchscreen ish-

Offline Battler Ushiromiya

• The Detective
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Better than Phoenix Wright.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 07:14:23 AM »
Albus Mode had Touchscreen teleportation, which worked like a charm. :/
_______________________________________ ___________

Magically immune, and loving it!

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 09:35:53 AM »

Not that it has anything to do with anything, but OoE would've been a much cooler game had they trashed the overworld map, and instead made one ENOURMOUS map where all the areas were connected. You could exit the village from both left and right and end up in Ruvas Forest on the right side, and Argila Swamp on the left and so on... some of the areas would need to be altered slightly in terms of layout, (and the order in which they appear), but the game would play pretty much exactly like Simon's Quest, but bigger and (dare i say it) better.

You would obviously need to scroll the map, but it worked fine in Super Metroid so I don't see why not.

I didn't exactly miss the touch screen functionality in OoE, but I kinda liked it in DoS. Yes, it was gimmicky, but it also gave some variety to the aged castleroid formula. I never had any problems with the seals.

Tags: