Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "Metroidmania....."  (Read 20473 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2013, 09:54:46 PM »
I have enough rep points that I can badmouth MV's all I want (I keep reading that as "music videos" though). Like I said, I have MV's. I play them. I don't sell them back to GameStop. It doesn't change the fact that most people that play video games these days are retards that need someone to hold their hand so they don't fall off the monkey bars and split their heads open on a flake of sawdust. MV's brought us Persephone and Skeleton Butler, but why the fuck is Cthulhu roaming the halls of Castlevania? How the fuck does a werewolf get to be a boss but an Old One is relegated to the role of small fry? I'm not saying IGA butchered and ruined the MV formula, although he did. The MV formula is a failure in its current form. Fuck it, just abandon save points all together! If you can't include them in a game without breaking the gameplay, then don't include them at all. Metroid's passwords were a bitch, but so fucking what? At least you couldn't farm/grind your way up to breaking the mechanics. And since when did save points even necessitate healing? That wasn't always the case. In many games when I was growing up, a save point simply saved the position in the game. You didn't get healed until you died and lost all your points. Hell, in some games dying didn't even heal you! "NES games were too hard." Bull-fucking-shit. If NES games are too hard, why is it I can't beat SMB nowadays but when I was 10 I was getting some from Princess Toadstool every week or blowing Hitler's face up in Bionic Commando? Don't get me wrong, though. Save points are a load of crap, but they're not what ruined MV's for me. As I mentioned earlier, it's the blatant recycling of enemies and pointless placement of them. In classicvanias, if you encountered something like a Flame Demon or Arc Demon, it would be a stage boss. Now an Axe Armor dies in 2 hits and a demon dies in 5 or 6 but a werewolf or wizard takes 30. Seriously, what the fuck Konami? At least Death got better over time. See, I don't hate on everything about the newer Castlevanias.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2013, 01:38:41 AM »
I think it's a shame that the series became more known for something that Metriod was already doing rather than playing to it's own strengths which were hardcore gaming platforming.

:'(   

This hurts me. It's just.... so true.

Like I said is the classic formula even needed anymore?

Stick to your guns and one should not falter right? Right?
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2013, 05:27:07 AM »
Are hard core games still acceptable in the industry right now?

How many of the gaming population of this planet is into hardcore games? I believe there are only a few right now since the newer generation is raised on easy. Easy to get what you want, when you want it, which is not a property of hardcore games. Hardcore games lets the player sweat it out and think.

I can't help but think that developers are catering to the casual gaming crowd in order to sell more games.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2013, 09:51:20 AM »
I can't help but think that developers are catering to the casual gaming crowd in order to sell more games.

Thats the case, but they are dumb. Casual gamers only want to play total casual games, turning a hardcore game in a little more casual game doesnt help in anything. Want to do easy games? Be smart and add a easy option in your game damn it.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2013, 12:20:50 PM »
Download Hardcore Uprising, the newest Contra game, off of the PS store. Konami hasn't forgotten hardcore gaming. The problem is that they seem to think Castlevania fans want an RPG game in hardcore gaming clothes.

There is still a huge market for this formula, and it's mostly comprised of people in their mid to late 20's, early 30's who group up with these kind of games and have the patience and skill to play through them. There are some young guns who get it as well, but the fact is that the market is totally there. Maybe not for a full budget release, but at least for something downloadable from the PS store, or Xbox arcade. This is the perfect place for an old school style Castlevania.

This is why I've been working my ass off trying to make this game, because, for whatever reason, Konami simply will not. If any of you know anyone interested in working on project like this, send them my way. I think I'll start a new thread soon.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2013, 03:20:03 PM »
After so many Classicvanias were made
(3 NES
3GB/GBC
2 SNES
1 GENESIS
MSX, TURBOGRAPHX)
I wanted to see something different. It's time for them to change the formula.
-----
After so many Metroidvanias were made
(1 PSX/Saturn
3 GBA
3 DS)
I wanted to see something different. It's time for them to change the formula.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2013, 04:09:27 PM »
You left out Harmony of Despair. LOI and COD could also be considered Metriodvania's in 3D.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2013, 04:49:23 PM »
After so many 2D games I wanted to see something different. It's time for them to change the formula.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2013, 06:22:23 PM »
There's a very fine line to what you're talking about. Staying true to parts of the formula is what makes the game Castlevania. Deviating too far off of that path may as well just be another game. I think that after the last decade of Metriodvania games a classic style game would feel fresh. All they would have to do is make it look updated.

I keep telling everybody about a perfect example Harcore Uprising. But nobody seems to have anything to say about this perfect Contra sequel. It's making me wonder if I'm the only one who's played this game around here!

It's classic Contra run and gun with new features and a new look. It's fresh, it's fun, it's perfect. Konami could easily do this with Castlevania.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2013, 09:42:44 PM »
I keep telling everybody about a perfect example Harcore Uprising. But nobody seems to have anything to say about this perfect Contra sequel. It's making me wonder if I'm the only one who's played this game around here!

I've played it and found it satisfying. The only thing that bothers me about it is it's story. Hardcore Uprising's story conflicts with the established timeline presented in its entirety in Contra: Shattered Soldier. Other then that it is a good and fun, run 'n gun, shooter.

There's a very fine line to what you're talking about. Staying true to parts of the formula is what makes the game Castlevania. Deviating too far off of that path may as well just be another game. I think that after the last decade of Metriodvania games a classic style game would feel fresh. All they would have to do is make it look updated.

And this is also true. This is why I feel that LoS has failed to live up to CV standards. Because in my opinion I feel that the core of CV was sacrificed in order for Mercurysteam to make their own vision. By doing so they delivered unto us a game that really has no identity of it's own. Many (not all) see 'god of war' and 'shadow of the colossus' rather then a game that should have made these foreign elements smoothly transitioned into it's own unique identity. The LoS story is something that I'm not b***hing about because it's quite original in take dispite the lifting of names and such, but the gameplay is where it let me down. A classicvania would be a breath of fresh air and having it on a console rather then a handheld would make it even better.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2013, 10:39:31 AM »
+1

It's classic Contra run and gun with new features and a new look. It's fresh, it's fun, it's perfect. Konami could easily do this with Castlevania.
Did you even played Rebirth? Or Dracula X Chronicles?

There, two games on the same "decade of metroidvanias" you keep talking about.

And you know that the original Castlevania fanbase is pretty much niche, right? Konami will only do things that they think it'll be profitable for them. Hence LoS.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:41:06 AM by Maedhros »

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2013, 11:02:25 AM »

And you know that the original Castlevania fanbase is pretty much niche, right? Konami will only do things that they think it'll be profitable for them. Hence LoS.
Too funny :D His point is officially moot!
 Explore the CV world a bit more, then your opinion should sway.
I say go back to the fighting game genre. it will end debates of metroidvania/classicvania as players could pit both styles of character in an arena and settle dicussion accordingly  ;D
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2013, 07:15:03 PM »

Of course I played Rebirth and Dracula X Chronicles. First I played the originals because THEY ARE REMAKES. I played them when they originally came out in the 90's and of course I own the remakes. But that's not what we're talking about here is it? I was one of the few Americans who actually owned a Turbo Duo and imported Dracula X: Rondo of Blood. And Obviously I owned a Gameboy with all of the Castlevania's if I went to the trouble of having a Duo back in the 90's. We are talking about a new Classicvania, not an updated version of a classic. There is a huge difference.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2013, 07:27:48 PM »
+2

Sorry, but I have to respond to this too. So, we're talking about classic style Castlevania game just to be clear. This would be a 2D 6 to 8 level action game, typically. I think it's very reasonable to say that this game could be made on a shoestring budget compared to a title like LOS. They make the game on a small budget, release it for download on PSN and Xbox arcade (even ios) and avoid duplication costs as well. Konami could easily turn a profit on a game like that. Easily. Especially with the extra attention LOS brings to the Castlevania name right now.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2013, 07:43:38 PM »
Quote from: TheouAegis
I have enough rep points that I can badmouth MV's all I want (I keep reading that as "music videos" though). Like I said, I have MV's. I play them. I don't sell them back to GameStop. It doesn't change the fact that most people that play video games these days are retards that need someone to hold their hand so they don't fall off the monkey bars and split their heads open on a flake of sawdust. MV's brought us Persephone and Skeleton Butler, but why the fuck is Cthulhu roaming the halls of Castlevania? How the fuck does a werewolf get to be a boss but an Old One is relegated to the role of small fry? I'm not saying IGA butchered and ruined the MV formula, although he did. The MV formula is a failure in its current form. Fuck it, just abandon save points all together! If you can't include them in a game without breaking the gameplay, then don't include them at all. Metroid's passwords were a bitch, but so fucking what? At least you couldn't farm/grind your way up to breaking the mechanics. And since when did save points even necessitate healing? That wasn't always the case. In many games when I was growing up, a save point simply saved the position in the game. You didn't get healed until you died and lost all your points. Hell, in some games dying didn't even heal you! "NES games were too hard." Bull-fucking-shit. If NES games are too hard, why is it I can't beat SMB nowadays but when I was 10 I was getting some from Princess Toadstool every week or blowing Hitler's face up in Bionic Commando? Don't get me wrong, though. Save points are a load of crap, but they're not what ruined MV's for me. As I mentioned earlier, it's the blatant recycling of enemies and pointless placement of them. In classicvanias, if you encountered something like a Flame Demon or Arc Demon, it would be a stage boss. Now an Axe Armor dies in 2 hits and a demon dies in 5 or 6 but a werewolf or wizard takes 30. Seriously, what the fuck Konami? At least Death got better over time. See, I don't hate on everything about the newer Castlevanias.

why do you curse so much

Tags:

anything