Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Windows 10 Review by yours truly...  (Read 3890 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« on: October 07, 2015, 09:38:27 PM »
Coming soon, Still playing around to highlight the best/worst. This review will be covering the OS as a whole along with the software that came with it.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 10:52:03 PM »
We'll be looking forward to it :)

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 02:10:03 AM »
Good. I'm curious about Win 10.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 02:50:07 AM »
+1
I'm a Win 8.1 user, it asks me if I want to download Win 10, but I have not heard all that many glaringly positive things about it. Something about things being shuffled around and harder to find is one complaint I've heard.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 09:40:59 AM »
From what I've heard of Windows 10 is nothing like Windows 8. It's more like Windows 7 which I used but is still different.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 08:51:37 PM »
Full review is inbound on Sunday.
(right now streaming Xbox One in a window, just got it back from repair)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 10:24:59 PM »
I like Windows 10 It's fast for what I need.

Also, XBONEs across the nation have been breaking. PS4 is obviously the better console. :P
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 11:13:24 PM »
So far it seems okay, with a few hiccups here and there. I upgraded from 7 (which I liked), and the changes so far don't seem good or bad, just different.

What I don't really like it, though, is that it sounds like Microsoft hasn't been exactly forthcoming about the privacy issues that Windows 10 supposedly has.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 02:45:21 AM »
Windows 10, is it the next successor, or another lab-rat OS?

It is a question we've asked ourselves on every other Windows OS, 95, 98, XP, and 7 were great, as NT, 2000, Vista, and 8 were more of a testing ground, that seems to be a trend with Microsoft, but only this time there is substantially more "new" than bug-fixing. Windows 10 is built for Phones, Tablets, Desktops, and even the Xbox One, taking that into consideration this is a pretty big thing since it was never really done before, sure there are OS's for Phones that are adaptations of the Desktop counterpart but this is one singular Operating system running on a span of devices. Without further ado I'll be reviewing this thing because, well, there are still a lot of people skeptical and I wanna spread awareness because it's what I do.

Desktop environment, the new Start, and Cortana.
Desktop is on par with windows 7, not much I can say more, the Notifications being all merged into the action center is brilliant, also the new Calendar is much easier to read at a glance. The new and semi-revived Start menu is also Really good, The Metro apps and tiles are back but in a very less intrusive way. It can also be customized quite a bit to your liking, for me having the basics such as control panel in the Start menu is a must, whatever can't be pinned to the context menu can be pinned as a tile, which is cool. Tiles act similar to windows 8/8.1 having a live option and the ability to resize them. The Search bar has been redone with Cortana, and rather than being solely in the start menu, it is in the taskbar. At first, I thought this was pretty stupid, but when I used it, not only is the searching way faster and more responsive than ever, you can have Cortana do other things for you such as check the weather and other neat little things, I think the instant searching on the web on the fly is awfully convenient. speaking of convenient, I tested the voice activation and responsiveness of Cortana, turns out it is extremely accurate on voice recognition. Overall very well done, a few minor things such as Control Panel being split into Settings is a minor complaint.

Apps.
Built in applications and the Metro stuff, pretty damn useless in windows 8/8.1. In windows 10 all apps are given the desktop treatment, all launchable, resizable, and best of all, some useful ones. Xbox app is interesting, It wants to be your all-in-one hub for gaming, so you will naturally see all your steam games, and your win10 games launchable from the app, it's a nice touch, but the show stealer is the Xbox One Connect. Connect your Xbox One and stream your console to a window, it's almost like emulation. the stream is a very descent quality. Groove music is the attempt to replace your old music manager, in this case, iTunes, and it works, not only does it sort albums in a fashionable manner it also has a dark mode and full response to the media keys and a groovy display next to your volume ticker (if you use the media keys to change volume). Email app allows you to add all your accounts into one hub, and yet again, it's well done, I actually use it instead of using the website. comes with candy crush and Minecraft win10 plays well. Edge is also great, really fast but that's about it, sure it can load a page fast and accurate, but it's lacking some context options and a lack of adblock hurts, on top of that none of the optional buttons for posting works, so I'm glad I remember a good bit of the forum's code to punch it in manually. I hope to see Edge improved since it has a great deal of potential.

Performance
it performs very well, boot times are seamless.

Overall, to answer the question, Yes, it is a true successor if not more. The new additions are good and the built in applications are actually useful, it also has multiple desktops that are easy to navigate as well, for all of it's bells and whistles I find it extremely generous for this OS to be given away for free. I highly suggest this thing.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 11:05:51 PM »
what about all the spyware and shit.

I know for a fact that you can't turn off some of it's NSA features, while in 7 you can uninstall those particular updates.

Also, doesn't Win10 advertise to you? Can that be turned off? because thats a big turnoff for me, seeing ads in the metro start menu
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 09:04:13 AM »
what about all the spyware and shit.

I know for a fact that you can't turn off some of it's NSA features, while in 7 you can uninstall those particular updates.

Also, doesn't Win10 advertise to you? Can that be turned off? because thats a big turnoff for me, seeing ads in the metro start menu
the bloatware is rather optional, instead of installing it with the OS, shortcuts usually lead to installing in the store, in most cases you can remove easily.

NSA Features? I just reviewed at a average user standpoint, but I would like more info so I can dig deeper. I know Bing disables certain search results but the bypass is a different search engine.

The Advertising isn't really there except when you first set up, in which it's all in the Tiles which can be rid of and highly recommended that you tailor to your own liking, otherwise, you'll get live tile feeds which are entirely up to you.

Tags: