Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: INTERVIEW: Yamane talks Inspiration, Lords of Shadow Music and more!  (Read 14062 times)

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
Re: INTERVIEW: Yamane talks Inspiration, Lords of Shadow Music and more!
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 03:08:04 PM »
If they aren't actual LoS tracks, I don't see how they're an example of what you're saying.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 03:09:38 PM by A-Yty »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 03:19:54 PM »
If they aren't actual LoS tracks, I don't see how it is an example of what you're saying.

I just wanted to point out that it would sound like these right? I just wanted to search to see how some classic cv tunes would sound like in the form of LoS with that kind of treatment maybe it was just a misunderstanding of what I was trying to type or something?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 03:24:40 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 03:29:39 PM »
Too much something in between. I said that LoS music has its peacocky appearance, but there is little to reveal underneath it all. It is, at its essence, forgettable, unoriginal and unmelodic. Then I made a comparison to old CV music which didn't need a massive symphonic orchestra, because it made an impression by being original, memorable and mostly about melodies.

Therfore: if someone says LoS music is crap, the fact that it has a flashy exterior, but doesn't really stay in your mind is a very strong argument in favor of that opinion. I personally think that Castlevania music should be firstly about the qualities mentioned above. Had LoS composers sought those qualities to go with that "epicness", it would have been received more favorably.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 03:31:51 PM by A-Yty »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 04:31:25 PM »
Someone really needs to make a Belmont's theme de-mix or something.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2011, 04:35:06 PM »
Yes. That and Waterfalls of Agharta. The only two tracks that have actually stayed in my mind.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2011, 05:00:25 PM »
Too much something in between. I said that LoS music has its peacocky appearance, but there is little to reveal underneath it all. It is, at its essence, forgettable, unoriginal and unmelodic. Then I made a comparison to old CV music which didn't need a massive symphonic orchestra, because it made an impression by being original, memorable and mostly about melodies.

Therfore: if someone says LoS music is crap, the fact that it has a flashy exterior, but doesn't really stay in your mind is a very strong argument in favor of that opinion. I personally think that Castlevania music should be firstly about the qualities mentioned above. Had LoS composers sought those qualities to go with that "epicness", it would have been received more favorably.

Right I think I get it now take the"fancy" things out and it supposedly has no soul no feelings. It's just a matter of style and substance like how some of the classic tunes have vs the kind LoS has, yet even with that the soundtrack of LoS is not that empty,forgetful, or soulless granted there are some I will say that are forgetful like "carmilla's theme".

Yet to say that LoS music is forgetful or even unmelodic I cannot agree with. Songs like Belmont's theme and the waterfalls of agharta really stick out(like hearing the waterfalls songs when it's actually raining or has just stop raining can create a sense that is just awe inspiring) ,but yes I can see ones opinion of not liking it due to some songs lacking some X factors yet the overall as a whole no way.

Most of them in my opinion are really good songs that at some points just feel so appropriate to play at certain moments. So my opinion on this is that some of the songs are far from forgetful when concerning lords of shadow sure some could say it's not the best heck even lacking but forgetful no way. Now I am not a muscial genius or anything but I just cannot see the "essence" of LoS as empty or little next to nothing. Yes it has a orchestrated exterior yet even when that is taken away there can always be something more.

Maybe it was just how the music placement was and how it kept going and repeating it's self level after level made some of the music lose some magic and potency to some over time. To me it stands just as well as anyother CV soundtrack and there is always room for improvement.
(click to show/hide)

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2011, 05:18:31 PM »
Ok, I get that. But..don't you think it's kind of funny that the very two tracks you remembered where the same ones I myself and lots of other people keep mentioning?  ;D

I think it's because those two were the only ones that had some CV in them. The rest..well, that's were our opinions differ. I can't remember their melodies or their names. They don't sporadically start ear worming me unlike oh so many previous Vania tracks. I think this is why they fail as Castlevania music.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2011, 07:57:46 PM »
Ok, I get that. But..don't you think it's kind of funny that the very two tracks you remembered where the same ones I myself and lots of other people keep mentioning?  ;D

I think it's because those two were the only ones that had some CV in them. The rest..well, that's were our opinions differ. I can't remember their melodies or their names. They don't sporadically start ear worming me unlike oh so many previous Vania tracks. I think this is why they fail as Castlevania music.

With out a doubt and that is because their awesome, incredible, and process a great sense of the mood they are trying to put heck belmont's theme stuck with me the moment I was controling the sun and moom. Made me feel like I was deciphering out the davinci code or something (but then again when is a belmont theme not good)  :)

The waterfalls was a different reason for me I out jogging one day it was raining and then the song started playing and I was like dang that is some deep stuff. Whenever it rains I put that song on in my I-pod without thinking.

Then there is the maze garden while not as awesome to me as the other two it is in my top five Los music.

There is more but yes I am not going to fib when it comes to LoS the first two always come into my mind.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2011, 11:53:03 PM »
Yes. That and Waterfalls of Agharta. The only two tracks that have actually stayed in my mind.
The Waterfall: Super Castlevania 4 Music

WoA was a CV4 remix.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Modo7

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, 10:22:46 AM »
Hey, thanks for the link! It was a pleasure for me to interview Michiru Yamane, her music is really awesome, and surely she is one of the best game composer of all time.

Now I'm going to interview Oscar Araujo about his work in Lords of Shadow, are there any questions that you would like to ask him? Thanks!

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2011, 10:25:39 AM »
What his favorite soundtrack from the series is and why? Or something along those lines?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, 10:48:51 AM »
The Waterfalls - Block 3-2 - Super Castlevania IV + Lords of Shadow

This is what you would want, then.  **shameless plug**
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2011, 10:58:25 AM »
The Waterfall: Super Castlevania 4 Music

WoA was a CV4 remix.

Was it really? Cuz that's what I've been pondering ever since I heard someone say that.

I'm not a musical expert, but I can only hear some similarities. Could someone with training and experience confirm that it's an actual remix, not a track inspired by "The Waterfalls"? I'm too lazy to Google the terms, but what I'm getting at is this:

John Lennon - Imagine

A Perfect Circle - Imagine

Same song, changed tone. My ear just can't connect "Agharta" and "Waterfall" to each other in that way. All I hear is perhaps inspiration drawn from the SCVIV tune.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2011, 12:28:56 PM »
Hey, thanks for the link! It was a pleasure for me to interview Michiru Yamane, her music is really awesome, and surely she is one of the best game composer of all time.

Now I'm going to interview Oscar Araujo about his work in Lords of Shadow, are there any questions that you would like to ask him? Thanks!

Why he decided to go the direction he did with the soundtrack. And or, perhaps, was it HIS decision to or something imposed on him?

Why not any outright arrangements, but only tiny nods with a few notes from past songs scattered within very few tracks? Sans Vampire Killer, but that really doesn't count being a music box.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2011, 03:17:19 PM »
What his favorite 'vania game is, and what inspired him while doing his work

Tags: