Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848478 times)

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #2640 on: June 08, 2012, 11:35:13 AM »
Could I just buy a ps3 instead?
Of course, it's your money, you can buy whatever you want.You can find PS3 for $200 easily.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #2641 on: June 08, 2012, 11:35:54 AM »
+1
It's quite simple really.
I don't want to hear / watch / play the same story as before.
For me reboot is about exploring different possibilities, not repeating the same story. Especially considering that we had this story for basically like 25 years. I, personally, wanted something different. As soon as I've heard that it was reboot, I wanted it to be different from regular timeline, because for the old story we have old games. And if I want to relive those old stories, I'd better play old games, rather than hope that developers will make another remake / remix / redux of the past story.
To put it simple - if they say "it's a new universe", then I want it to be significantly different. If it retreaded the same ground, I would be dissappointed and consider that authors doesn't have enough guts to change things and approached reboot in a lazy way, making new story in name only. I am fan of experimentations and different aproaches to the old storylines, and I am not getting angry, when I here that anotheer unvierse doing stuff differently. It is natural, the way it should be in the first place.
I think people must treat those things simplier and see possibilities in such things, instead of being angry, that developers changed stuff. It's just a game, not a matter of life and death. And it's not like Castlevania was a literary masterpiece before LOS.

I'm not talking about us who have been with the series for a while. Doing different approaches to an old story is fine. Hollywood does it all the time. However to retell a tale you don't necessarily need to change all the characters around and merge some and do all kinds of wierd shit.

Besides, if LOS wasn't reboot what it would be? Another generic battle between Belmonts and Dracula like CV64? OK, that's a good thing, but would it really stood out with the amount of games with such plot in the series? Maybe. But after all it would be much better, if it was something special. Especially after bunch of Castlevanias with barely relevant and not very interesting stories.

I have to disagree. Just because you retell a story doesn't mean it has to necessarily be done generically. If you break it down most games have the same exact plot, what's interesting is how it's told, and the old series really didn't do a good job of this. So I think they could sucessfully retell CV1 for example in as epic a manner as they've done/are doing with LoS & MoF.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2642 on: June 08, 2012, 11:41:43 AM »
Of course, it's your money, you can buy whatever you want.You can find PS3 for $200 easily.

Yes I know that it I came off as a question though  :rollseyes: Silly me

(click to show/hide)

I am out I can't even make a good thought and write a good sentence right now if I am doing to much editing to get a point across then I have a problem  :-[ I still think one of my last few post are iffy.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 11:52:23 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #2643 on: June 08, 2012, 11:55:53 AM »
+1
But remember, the devs making LoS have their own proclivities and their own ideas. They don't want to be tied down to CV's original plot. To some extent, devs aren't just robots spitting out exactly what the market wants--they don't want to please the fans only, but also want to please themselves--to make something they like or use plot conventions they think are cool. As long as they can rangle with the shareholders and publishers and top management to get them to continue, they won't be forced to make all their choices based on market or fanbase desires. While as part of the fanbase camp, I don't like this, I think I can see enough of evidence of it to believe that it is true.

I completely understand that being that I'm a fledgeling developer myself. However, when you're adding to an existing series with an established fan base you do owe something to those fans. My point thought is that they could take the basic plot and make it their own without necessarily clashing with what came before. The devil is in the details, as they say. MS steam made an effort with the throwback names, but too often the characters were so different as to alienate the older fans. Unfortunately this comes off to many as being a half-assed afterthought. And besides that, if you really want to do your own thing that badly as a developer, you can simply start a new IP.
"Stuff and things."

Offline MelancholySpork12

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2644 on: June 08, 2012, 11:57:14 AM »
I could just buy a ps3 instead.
That would definitely be a better investment. I don't have a PS3, but I would buy one WAY before buying a Vita. Uncharted 2, God of War, etc.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2645 on: June 08, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »
you can simply start a new IP.
good luck w/ that

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2646 on: June 08, 2012, 12:39:31 PM »
I completely understand that being that I'm a fledgeling developer myself. However, when you're adding to an existing series with an established fan base you do owe something to those fans. My point thought is that they could take the basic plot and make it their own without necessarily clashing with what came before. The devil is in the details, as they say. MS steam made an effort with the throwback names, but too often the characters were so different as to alienate the older fans. Unfortunately this comes off to many as being a half-assed afterthought. And besides that, if you really want to do your own thing that badly as a developer, you can simply start a new IP.

Well said, I agree wholeheartedly.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #2647 on: June 08, 2012, 01:03:04 PM »
+3

Ignoring how difficult it is to start a new IP for a moment, what if MercurySteam didn't want to do their own thing? What if they wanted to create a Castlevania game, with the Dracula and the Belmonts and the whips, but they didn't want to tell the story the way it had been previously been told? The game stands out when compared to IGA's tradition, but I could easily imagine an alternate history where IGA never existed and Castlevania naturally evolved into LoS from the earlier titles, probably sans Rondo.

But say LoS had come out with no Castlevania name, change every name and mention to Castlevania to something else, people would be crying "Castlevania Ripoff!" because the game MercurySteam wanted to make was so similar even if it did offend some traditionalist sentiments. Heck, people were calling it as a Castlevania game before it was confirmed as one, and then everyone's jimmies got rustled when it actually was one.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:06:22 PM by e105beta »

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2648 on: June 08, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »
Ignoring how difficult it is to start a new IP for a moment, what if MercurySteam didn't want to do their own thing? What if they wanted to create a Castlevania game, with the Dracula and the Belmonts and the whips, but they didn't want to tell the story the way it had been previously been told? The game stands out when compared to IGA's tradition, but I could easily imagine an alternate history where IGA never existed and Castlevania naturally evolved into LoS from the earlier titles, probably sans Rondo.

But say LoS had come out with no Castlevania name, change every name and mention to Castlevania to something else, people would be crying "Castlevania Ripoff!" because the game MercurySteam wanted to make was so similar even if it did offend some traditionalist sentiments. Heck, people were calling it as a Castlevania game before it was confirmed as one, and then everyone's jimmies got rustled when it actually was one.
Because we've seen a whip and we've seen a Belmont-like character. Of course people would say "Castlevania", that much is obvious. There were no more details available at that point.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #2649 on: June 08, 2012, 02:18:36 PM »
+1
patiently waiting for some Alucard and Simon gameplay to FINALLY surface. :)

I really want to see how different they make these characters gameplay when compared to Trevor.

Also wondering when the third belmont will be shown...

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #2650 on: June 08, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »
I wonder if MS will take any of the criticism concerning the combat system into consideration. I do agree the player should do more damage to enemies, especially the normal skeleton warriors. 2-3 hits should be all that's needed to take them out.

But then they'll probably argue "that's why you have dark magic." I hope Simon is stronger than Trevor then since he can't use magic, it would be a huge shame to see Simon slog through enemies at such a slow pace.

Then again, this is all just a knee jerk reaction from what I've seen, I haven't played the game for myself. I can't help but feel a little worried since this was my most anticipated 3DS title before it was even announced.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:27:04 PM by OSM »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #2651 on: June 08, 2012, 02:40:26 PM »
+1
I wonder if MS will take any of the criticism concerning the combat system into consideration. I do agree the player should do more damage to enemies, especially the normal skeleton warriors. 2-3 hits should be all that's needed to take them out.

But then they'll probably argue "that's why you have dark magic." I hope Simon is stronger than Trevor then since he can't use magic, it would be a huge shame to see Simon slog through enemies at such a slow pace.

Then again, this is all just a knee jerk reaction from what I've seen, I haven't played the game for myself. I can't help but feel a little worried since this was my most anticipated 3DS title before it was even announced.

Skeletons should take one basic combo to kill, which like you said, should be 2-3 hits, maybe 4. It allows for the whole extra punch of the last hit on death, without making them take too long to kill. If they can just buff up the whip to that level, it would probably feel a lot better.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2652 on: June 08, 2012, 02:47:14 PM »
+3
It's pretty weird that it takes Trevor 3 hits to break barrels.

Offline Wallachia

• hath risen
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #2653 on: June 08, 2012, 02:51:18 PM »

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better" - Albert Einstein

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #2654 on: June 08, 2012, 02:51:40 PM »
It's pretty weird that it takes Trevor 3 hits to break barrels.

Lol I thought I was the only one who noticed that.

So not only was all the enemies buffed the barrels are as well??? :D

Whats up with that MS?

How come my whip needs to hit those barrels 3 times before they break?

Are they some sort of enchanted barrels or something?

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Tags: .....?